Need Final Advice regarding LSAT prep......:))

MissJenna

Need Final Advice regarding LSAT prep......:))

Postby MissJenna » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:39 am

Okay....so I took Dec exam & cancelled & I just took Feb. The reason I want to take June (my final time) is because the time issue is a HUGE factor for me. I just didnt finish the Feb exam except for the games section so I'm not expecting my score to be anywhere near stellar. :cry:

My problems?? LOGICAL REASONING & finishing in the time allotted. This section is beyond brutal for me...........no words to describe it. I can barely finish a section & I definitely re-read the stimulus MANY x's.

Please tell me what I need to do............please....just so I can get at least 1/2 right on both LR sections.

Everyone says drill, drill, drill. Well I'm trying.....but it's just NOT clicking. I'm freaking out as this is 50% of the exam so........!! :shock: :roll:

toothbrush

Re: Need Final Advice regarding LSAT prep......:))

Postby toothbrush » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:38 am

MissJenna wrote:Okay....so I took Dec exam & cancelled & I just took Feb. The reason I want to take June (my final time) is because the time issue is a HUGE factor for me. I just didnt finish the Feb exam except for the games section so I'm not expecting my score to be anywhere near stellar. :cry:

My problems?? LOGICAL REASONING & finishing in the time allotted. This section is beyond brutal for me...........no words to describe it. I can barely finish a section & I definitely re-read the stimulus MANY x's.

Please tell me what I need to do............please....just so I can get at least 1/2 right on both LR sections.

Everyone says drill, drill, drill. Well I'm trying.....but it's just NOT clicking. I'm freaking out as this is 50% of the exam so........!! :shock: :roll:

read the sticky notes on top for about an hour and you'll have a clearer picture of what to do

Mik Ekim

Re: Need Final Advice regarding LSAT prep......:))

Postby Mik Ekim » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Per the symptoms that you describe, it seems that your main issue is not knowing what to focus on in the stimulus -- that's why it's taking you so long, that's why you have to read the stimulus again and again, and that's why the section feels so tough for you --

Being able to prioritize the right information is a big part of LSAT success -- if u take a bunch of 175 scorers, have them read a stimulus, and ask them what they remember about it, they will all pretty much tell you the same things -- scoring well and focusing on the right issues goes hand in hand.

When you don't have a clear sense of priorities, then you try to hold the entire stimulus in your head as you evaluate answers, and you end up comparing answers against that entire stimulus -- this makes the questions much much more difficult -- without a correct sense of priorities, you won't know what to look for in the right answer, and wrong answers will become much more tempting (because they are often built off of the secondary aspects of the stimulus).

So, I would strongly recommend working on prioritizing the right things as you read the stimulus. If you haven't already taken a look, the Manhattan LR book is very good for working on that (I am a co-author, so I am a bit biased). I think you'll find that if you get better at zeroing in on the core components of the stimulus, the questions will make a lot more sense, and your timing will improve. HTH.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”