Let's Play a Game: Sell Me On Your LSAT Company

jwinaz

Let's Play a Game: Sell Me On Your LSAT Company

Postby jwinaz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:58 am

Currently looking at Powerscore and TestMasters. And possible third would be Manhattan. (Any other good ones? These are most vaunted ones it seems).

Can you give me a quick outline of why your company is best and how it differs from the competition?

Ready...Set....GO!!! :P

Re: Let's Play a Game: Sell Me On Your LSAT Company

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:02 am

DF LSAT Blitzkrieg

You: Send me 5K

I: send you 50 prep tests.

You : send me back all 50 completed

I: send you back 4K

You: score well

I: give you back your remaining 1K if you don't do 10 points better than your diagnostic.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:32 am

Desert Fox wrote:DF LSAT Blitzkrieg

I: give you back your remaining 1K if you don't do 10 points better than your diagnostic.

This is genius.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:37 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

This is genius.

I also offer this for weight loss.

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:42 am

Desert Fox wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

This is genius.

I also offer this for weight loss.

I guess DF is trying to say the best prep comes from self-discipline and motivation to keep your own money.

In a strange way I think DF's system actually has too much merit, much of it probably unintended.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:54 am

I might not know what I'm talking about. My prep was just doing a bunch of PTs. It was more like getting in shape for a long distance run. Do a bunch of exercise, learn the pacing and it was no big deal. My problems were speed, and not carelessly reading the problems.

For other people on this forum, it seems like it's more like learning how to walk after a car accident. They learn all sorts of tricks and strategies. I'm sure they can't just do a bunch of PT's and be fine.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 am

Desert Fox wrote:I might not know what I'm talking about. My prep was just doing a bunch of PTs. It was more like getting in shape for a long distance run. Do a bunch of exercise, learn the pacing and it was no big deal. My problems were speed, and not carelessly reading the problems.

For other people on this forum, it seems like it's more like learning how to walk after a car accident. They learn all sorts of tricks and strategies. I'm sure they can't just do a bunch of PT's and be fine.

What'd you end up getting?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:26 am

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:176

Money. I went 170 with like no studying so I'm actually studying a bunch now for June.

I kinda wing it a bit too instead of focusing too much on strategy and specific question/game types.

Maybe I'll just go hard with PTs. Seems like a legit idea.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:46 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:176

Money. I went 170 with like no studying so I'm actually studying a bunch now for June.

I kinda wing it a bit too instead of focusing too much on strategy and specific question/game types.

Maybe I'll just go hard with PTs. Seems like a legit idea.

170 with no studying? You already know the logic part. It's all about perfecting execution now.

I was doing 1 pt a day. By the time I took my test, it was like another PT.

donmincho

Postby donmincho » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:49 am

deleted.
Last edited by donmincho on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:00 am

Desert Fox wrote:170 with no studying? You already know the logic part. It's all about perfecting execution now.

I was doing 1 pt a day. By the time I took my test, it was like another PT.

The 170 was with 3-4 PTs and skimming that crappy Kaplan book just to see what I was about to get myself into.

LG was my biggest weakness but I've been drilling that for 2 months now so I'm fairly certain I won't get tripped up by any game. And stupid mistakes on LR. I wanna get through LRB to see exactly what stimulus the test is looking for on certain question types. Then I'll just go hard on PTs.

1 a day sounds like a plan. Did you heavily review each one? 5 section or 4 section PTs?

ETA: I would say sorry for hi-jacking OP but your thread is useless. Use the search function. There's a whole section of TLS dedicated to answering this thread's question. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=151670 - knock yourself out.

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:30 am

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:11 pm

donmincho wrote:OP, take a look at Blueprint. We have the highest average score increase of any major prep company, along with the best and most entertaining instructors and curriculum.

http://www.blueprintprep.com

Lol, this is nonsense. All the prep companies have similar average score increases. And in the context of prep courses, the increases usually come from people going from the 140's to the 150's.

To answer OP's question, BP/TM/PS are all very similar. The most important thing when deciding between them will be instructor quality. Find out who's teaching the class in your area and see if you can get some reviews, or even sit in on a class.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:30 pm

To clarify on our (Blueprint's) score increase, our most recent number (+11) is taken from first practice test to highest practice test, for students that input at least three (of the six) practice tests we offer throughout the course. The number is independently verified, and it was taken from our Spring 2011 course. You can read more about it here: http://blueprintprep.com/LSAT-prep-clas ... _increases

To OP - if you have any questions about our specific course, including a way to get in touch with the instructor for your area, send me a PM. I strongly recommend you sit in on a class with/talk to the instructor before you enroll in a class. The quality of the instructor is the single most important factor in how well the class runs, so make sure your learning style meshes with their teaching style.
Last edited by bp shinners on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:36 pm

I took PS's course. I would highly recommend taking a course. You will hear very frequently from people on TLS not to take one, but I thought it was worth it. One of the most important things I have got from the course is a ton of explanations for right and wrong answers. You can get a lot of explanations from Manhattan's website, however. With PS, you get a bunch of videos, which would probably be helpful to people who learn based on audio. The PS course is basically its bibles on steriods. A lot of extra quizzes throughout its books. Make Manhattan part of your approach to the test as well.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Manhattan.
/thread.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:04 pm

DF what's your business for weight loss? I may take you up on that.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:DF what's your business for weight loss? I may take you up on that.

same the lsat.

You give me 5K, I give you 4K after you hit the goal.

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:05 am

Desert Fox wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:DF what's your business for weight loss? I may take you up on that.

same the lsat.

and give 1k back if you become anorexic...?

jcg

Postby jcg » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:44 am

Logical Reasoning: Read LR Bible by Powerscore. Do 5 to 6 early LR sections (you want to save the newer tests for later in your studying). Then, start to break down the different question types and only practice certain question types until you see how to approach each question type (Use this in conjunction with Lifos videos below). For example, do 15-20 "must be true" questions only. Here is a list organized by question type from someone that I love because they did this.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108425

Lifos Institute has questions answered on YouTube. I think he has the best method and explanations for how to approach each LR question type.

Use Manhattan LSAT to check answers that you got wrong. Those people are awesome!!! I would definitely look into their products as well but I never purchased from them so I can't recommend.

Logic Games: Logic Games Bible from Powerscore is good. 7Sage has free videos on every logic game section.

http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

7Sage also has a sheet of games separated by question type. This allows you to focus on how to approach and set up each type of game.

Manhattan LSAT also has extra games that they created based on LSAT tests. Some of them are more challenging and can thus show you how to approach the more difficult games. Free.

They also have an Arcade to practice with. Free.

I used the Reading Comprehension Bible from Powerscore and thought it was okay but I have nothing else to compare it with. Reading comprehension is about finding a system that works for you and getting up to speed with the reading and comprehending. Go figure.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck!

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:42 pm

nugnoy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

same the lsat.

and give 1k back if you become anorexic...?

Nope. Can't really do a money back guarantee on weight loss.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”