This study method for LG

LSATobsessed

This study method for LG

Postby LSATobsessed » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:31 pm

I want to know what you guys think about my method of studying for the JUNE LG

Basically, I have all Logic Games from all the PTs. So basically 4 games for 67 tests each.

This is about 270 games.

I plan on memorizing all the inferences of 4 games a day. So each day, I wake up and take a practice section of the LG timed. Then I review my work untimed to make sure I did not miss inferences and I would watch some of 7sage's videos for each game done. Then I sit there until I am able do each of the 4 games PERFECTLY in under 8 minutes each. I do this each day until I have done all the games from all the preptests.

This method was suggested to me by a friend who got a perfect on his LG section on the LSAT.
But i would appreciate your input.

apollo13

Re: This study method for LG

Postby apollo13 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Where are you in studying for LG? I am guessing you already covered LGB or Manhattan's LG book.
Personally, I would recommend doing that after you are pretty familiar with different types of games, and drilling games by categories. One thing that I realize is that LG is all about fundamentals. If you can't find deductions/inferences even in basic ordering games, you will even have harder time/consume more time doing the same in harder 3D ordering games. But if this is something that works for you then by all means... It's not a bad idea after all,

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Under 8 minutes is too much time for some games. I do each individual game timed, review after each game, and take the game timed again before moving to the next rather than worrying about having 4-game sections. Some of these should be under 5 minutes, and others will take longer just because they are hard or require more diagramming. You should also try grouping them by type until you master them.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 pm

If you replace the word memorizing with familiarizing, if that's even a word, I would like it more. I think memorizing them is too mechanical, you got to be flexible. But this still might work great for you, just my take.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Daily_Double wrote:If you replace the word memorizing with familiarizing, if that's even a word, I would like it more. I think memorizing them is too mechanical, you got to be flexible. But this still might work great for you, just my take.

I think he got that word from 7sage. Familiarizing is probably better for the process that's going on here.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:20 am

completely agree with drilling based on category. I just finished up reading Powerscore's LRB and LGB about a month ago and have been doing a tremendous amount of drilling since.

Familiarity and Experience with each game type/question type has given me a concrete technique for approaching the LSAT. Most importantly, I'm really able to take away alot more reviewing each PT I take simply because I'm more comfortable and knowledgeable on the facets of each game/question type

magickware

Postby magickware » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:34 pm

You're much better off getting the Powerscore LG bible and drilling things to death in the exact order (though in/out grouping can be anywhere after simple ordering because it doesn't have much to do with any other established types) with the 1-40 packet on cambridgeLSAT, then more or less doing what you said with 40-68.

And I think it's a wrong approach to think of it as memorizing. While the majority of the games ask you to do the same thing over and over; it is important to be flexible enough to know when they throw something out of the left field and screw you with it. As others said, think of it more as familiarizing yourself with the normal variations of rules to the point that they're all boring to you.

LSATobsessed

Postby LSATobsessed » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I have the Kaplan mastery book. Do you think I should go through the chapters of MLSAT LR and then drill 100 problems of the type of the chapter I just completed? Is that how it works?

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:32 pm

LR? Yes. Both LG and LR require you to drill specific types to death, especially for LR. Otherwise you don't get a firm sense of what to do for each question type and your methods become inefficient.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”