Powerscore LG Bible - How is it going for you?!

tuffyjohnson

Powerscore LG Bible - How is it going for you?!

Postby tuffyjohnson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:43 am

1rst week of serious LSAT prep for JUNE LSAT. Spent 5 consecutive days, 3.5 hours each reading scouring the Powerscore LG bible. Got to page 110 and was able to write my 1rst real LSAT logic game: an easy 1-1-1-1-1-1. It took me 80 minutes to diagram and do all 7 questions :oops: ...but my setup was flawless and I understood the ins/outs of the whole game.

Curious how it's going for others working on logic games or the Powerscore Bible LG. I'm guessing my pace is slightly below average.

eerie_erie

Re: Powerscore LG Bible - How is it going for you?!

Postby eerie_erie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Keep practicing. Don't get discouraged, or try to compare yourself to the progress of others (good or bad). Good luck. As for me, logic games were my worst section, but they got better over time (2L here).

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:35 pm

I found LGB to be a good way to break me into LGs but not enough to get me over the top to consistent -0 and -1. Velocity and Manhattan are best for that IMO.

jcccc

Postby jcccc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:00 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:I found LGB to be a good way to break me into LGs but not enough to get me over the top to consistent -0 and -1. Velocity and Manhattan are best for that IMO.

Ditto. Manhattan LG really did it for me. Way better than powerscore.

Mab2013

Postby Mab2013 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 pm

I just finished chapter four of the LGB. It's going pretty good, but I will say the grouping games were giving me some trouble. For those of you who have used the Manhattan, how different is it from PS. People have told me to use both together but I'm not sure how that would work. What do you guys think, is it better to use them together to get the best of both? I also plan of doing a PS course

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:54 pm

I suppose if you've got 15-20 hours per week from now until June using multiple manuals would be a good idea to find the right one. I've only got about 12 hours per week so I gotta stick with powerscore. Curious though, what the big differences are.

apollo13

Postby apollo13 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:45 pm

Mab2013 wrote:I just finished chapter four of the LGB. It's going pretty good, but I will say the grouping games were giving me some trouble. For those of you who have used the Manhattan, how different is it from PS. People have told me to use both together but I'm not sure how that would work. What do you guys think, is it better to use them together to get the best of both? I also plan of doing a PS course

To answer your question, I love Manhattan more than the LGB. I covered LGB two times (skimmed the first time, but really sat down and took it in on my 2nd try), and am now working on Manhattan's LG. I should say Manhattan feels more personable and gives you more flexible explanations. MLSAT gives you tips on how to approach certain problems, while LGB explains straight up rules, deductions, and inferences. LGB is really awesome at giving you very detailed strategies, such as Not Block system, while MLSAT gives you help on how to work on certain type of questions (min/max, option, could be true Q's). Also, I love MLSAT's strategy of in-n-out/pure-sequencing method. So it really comes down to what works best for you and how you can learn to be more flexible through using these books. You should def. get both. I am basically using MLSAT as a review after the LGB and I'm still learning a lot.

crestor

Postby crestor » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:19 pm

I remember reading a post on here about PS LG Bible is that PS makes the Games that they have as challenges easier than usual so people will rate the book higher and believe they know more than they actually do. I consider myself below-average on LG but am employing PS LG strategies. I am on Grouping games and am only missing 1 a section with a 10 minute time limit per game. Does this claim have merit?

On the other hand, PS LR sample questions always seem to throw me off. Does anyone care to chime in on this?

10romeom

Postby 10romeom » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:14 am

I'm currently about 3/4 the way done with the PS LG bible and I love it! I'm getting the games in the book done in about 10ish minutes and averaging 0-1 wrong per game. Having a much better time with linear/sequencing than I am with grouping but practice makes perfect! Biggest thing for me is getting my timing down and on practice tests, I'm having a hard time identifying what type of game it is right away. If my assumption is correct, I'd say these problems go hand in hand

cait142mary

Postby cait142mary » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:18 am

I took my first diagnostic last week (taking the LSAT in June) and it was a hot mess. Working through the LG Book, and I can definetly see an improvement in a few days! I would suggest going over sections multiple times, and making sure your intial diagram is as complete as it can be. I'm just reaching chapter 2 so I can't speak on the whole book. Just keeping working, speed will come with time :)

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm currently working my way through the bible and I was doing pretty well until I ran into grouping games and right now its like my brain is shutting down on me. On my last game (game, not section) I missed four and I'm starting to get really discouraged. Is now the time to go ahead and get Manhattan? Because Manhattan definitely has me exactly where I want to be on LR.

10romeom

Postby 10romeom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:49 pm

okaygo wrote:I'm currently working my way through the bible and I was doing pretty well until I ran into grouping games and right now its like my brain is shutting down on me. On my last game (game, not section) I missed four and I'm starting to get really discouraged. Is now the time to go ahead and get Manhattan? Because Manhattan definitely has me exactly where I want to be on LR.

Just keep trucking through the grouping section. Take your time and review the rules on setting up a diagram. The same exact thing happen to me, you'll get it just stick with it! You gotta understand they are very different from linear games, so don't try to make them the same! Good luck!

jared87e

Postby jared87e » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:35 am

Just finished chapter 7 of PS LGB.. this is my first exposure/preparation for the LSAT (plan to take it in June). So far, think it's a good introduction to logic games. It's getting me familiar with the different types of games, formats, and strategies. However, each game they give for practice in the book takes me 15-25 minutes usually :x Only 1 or 2 games have I finished under the "average" 8 min 45 sec time limit. However, each example is meant to be a different type of game so they can illustrate all the variances, and thus, presents a new challenge that can trip me up a bit. I suspect once I start taking the actual practice tests to apply the LGB strategies, I'll get more used to all the different types of questions and gradually improve my time. At least I hope so!

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:35 am

I’m going to re-affirm the opinion of the others about the Manhattan series, to me, the Powerscore bibles made everything moiré complicated than it needed to be. I will admit though that is it is probably based on the preference of the individual, and the way they pattern their thoughts.

Mab2013

Postby Mab2013 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Ya I can see some truth to that, however, there's a lot of good things that you can take from the setups they provide. I'm almost done with the book and I have seen significant improvement in my ability to do the LG. Having said that, I plan on getting the Manhattan as well to compliment the Bibles.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”