Blueprint Test Prep - Videos for Android

minhboo

Blueprint Test Prep - Videos for Android

Postby minhboo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:18 am

Hello everyone,

Here is my little story...

I started looking around for LSAT prep courses, and Blueprint came up. Not only did the schedule work, but they also offered videos. The website states that the videos are compatible with iOS and Android.
I go in, test it out on my brand new Google Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (both updated to the latest version of Android) without any luck. I ask one of my friend to check it, and it just happens that the web page was not recognizing Android devices...
It goes without saying that I would not sign up, unless the videos were working as advertised.
I email, and a girl named Beth, helped me out, and after several tries and repeated attempts, the web developer finally changed the coding, and it worked on both of my devices. However, the actual videos of the lessons needed to get the update as well. Beth kindly informed me that the updates were going to take place after the February LSAT.
Since I am a great customer, and at this point impressed by the attentive service that I am getting for my requests, I decide to sign up, and get the video upgrade. This happened on January 29.
After waiting for the Feb LSAT to pass, and another couple of days, I decide to shoot another email to Beth, asking the status of the video updates.

Here is the response I got:
"I do not have an exact time frame for this update as our web developers are in the process of working on all updates for our Spring classes. I would access the videos from a computer or iPad if available, or try the bypass you did before using Dolphin."

So, here I am, feeling cheated and victim of a bait and switch.

Anyone else in this situation?

bp shinners

Re: Blueprint Test Prep - Videos for Android

Postby bp shinners » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Hey minhboo,

First off, I want to apologize for the issues you're having, both with the videos themselves and the miscommunication with the office. We try to provide top-notch service for everyone, and your dissatisfaction means we fell short here.

Android devices are difficult to ensure universal compatibility because there are so many different companies making so many different devices with various software. We try to make our videos compatible with as many devices as possible, but some newer ones require updates that take some time to roll out. Your devices, unfortunately, fall into that category. For future reference (not for you, minhboo, but for others looking at our course), you can check the compatibility of your device here: http://blueprintprep.com/lsat_phone

Again, I want to apologize for the miscommunication from our end - while we do intend to improve compatibility for Android devices, when you were told "after the February LSAT", that was imprecise. That should have been an "earliest date" it might start to get worked on, not a promised roll-out date. This was a mistake on our part, and we're making sure something similar doesn't happen in the future.

In the meantime, please either get in touch with me via PM or give a call into the office and let them know the situation. I've talked with my supervisor, and we're more than happy to work with you until you're satisfied (i.e. we're more than happy to give you a full refund if you won't be able to study using our video course).

minhboo

Postby minhboo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Here's a little update.

Blueprint has since been in contact with me regarding this issue and has since provided me with a complimentary subscription to their video service.

While this may work for some, I was more interested in using it on my devices (up to date, latest and greatest android devices) than getting my money back.

In emails, I have repeatedly asked them when the roll out would happen, and am getting the run around.

To this date, it is still not working. Do I get to say anything? I think my right has been revoked once they refunded me.

Also, to those with Android devices who are thinking of getting the video upgrade: the sample video actually works on Android devices, however, the actual videos of the are not patched yet, and do not work. Beware...

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 pm

minhboo wrote:Blueprint has since been in contact with me regarding this issue and has since provided me with a complimentary subscription to their video service.

While this may work for some, I was more interested in using it on my devices (up to date, latest and greatest android devices) than getting my money back.

Again, I want to apologize that the videos aren't working on your devices! As someone with a rooted Android, I know how frustrating it can be to deal with the compatibility issues. I'll never go Apple, but there is an appeal to their "everything works on everything" standards.

In emails, I have repeatedly asked them when the roll out would happen, and am getting the run around.

I haven't been privy to the e-mails, but my understanding of the tech stuff is that we're constantly dealing with these issues to increase compatibility, but specific updates can't be stated for sure. Again, I don't know what the office has told you, but I do know that they're unable to promise specific dates for specific devices, especially since new ones come out every week. So we don't want to give you the runaround, and there are plans to fix it, but we can't commit to any specific date or time frame.

To those who are thinking about our course in the future, check below to see how to figure out if your device is compatible, and if it isn't, don't expect it to be available in the immediate future. I'm not saying your expectations here were out of whack, OP - just trying to set expectations for the future.

Also, to those with Android devices who are thinking of getting the video upgrade: the sample video actually works on Android devices, however, the actual videos of the are not patched yet, and do not work. Beware...

We're working on addressing this inconsistency now. However, what the office has told me is that if you sign up for the free tour and THOSE videos work on your device, then the actual videos should also work on your device. Small consolation to you, I know, but hopefully this will help those who are looking at it in the future. The sample videos use YouTube's player, which works on pretty much everything.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience and incompatibility here! If there's anything I can do, shoot me a PM.

westtech

Postby westtech » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:44 pm

To get the Blueprintprep.com videos to work on your Nexus device try the following steps. This worked for me on my Nexus 10.

1. Go to Settings -> Security -> Unknown Sources and click the check box, then click OK on the popup that displays (this will allow you to install apps that aren't from the play store).

2. Now we have to side load flash. Go to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html#main_Archived_Flash_Player_versions_for_developers

3. Scroll down to the part of the page where it says "Flash Player for Android 4.0 archives" and click on the top link. Android should ask you which browser you want to complete the action with. Choose chrome and the install_flash_player_ics-1.apk file should download.

4. Once it is finished downloading, go to your notifications drawer and pull it down and click on the .apk file to install it. An adobe window should popup, click install. The window should then say app installed and have a reassuring checkmark... Click done.

5. Now we need a browser that supports the flash plugin. Go to the Google Play Store and search for "Dolphin for Pad". The search should return an app called Dolphin for Pad V1.0 Beta.

6. Download and install it.

Once it is installed go to blueprintprep.com, login and the videos should work.

Enjoy.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”