Planning my study

cbellyoung

Planning my study

Postby cbellyoung » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi guys,
I'm taking the LSAT in June and have so far been studying 25-30 hours a week for the last 2 weeks. I have 4 months - hopefully, this will be enough time to crack it all.

I'm working exclusively with the Powerscore Bibles (I have all 3) and have all the prep tests from the last decade.

What I'm planning on doing is reading all 3 books (starting with LR) cover to cover (should take the best part of 6 weeks or so?) and then moving on to prep tests. I can then return to the Bibles to re-read sections about the q's I get dreadfully wrong during these prep tests. I think it's a fairly good study regime, but I'm interested to know what others think.

What is everyone else's study regime? Would you do as I do (reading all material first and then move on to prep tests) or would you read the books and do the prep tests at the same time (say, finish LR book, then just do LR sections in prep tests)?

Thanks!

Re: Planning my study

Postby 20140807 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:10 pm

USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR SPAMMING

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:43 pm

I think it's more useful to do timed tests at the same time as you read the bibles. You learn the most from the tests themselves.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 am

The PS Bibles have actual LSAT games that you'll be doing as you go through the book. So, I think yours is a good plan and it's what I'm doing too. I've decided to start with games however, since most of the 180 articles on here seem to indicate that the games are the most learnable (doesn't feel like it though). This way once you've got your methods down, then taking the tests is mastering the methods and managing time.

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 am

How do you manage the 25-30 hours a week? Are you working full time? What's your schedule like?

I work 8-5 M-F, and am lucky to get 15-20 hours a week in when balancing a social life, exercise, etc. Prepping for June as well.

cbellyoung

Postby cbellyoung » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 am

I work part time hours, so usually start work at 10am/11am and finish by 4pm. Because of this, I have lots of spare time in the mornings and evenings. I also have other things to do (I kickbox 3 times a week, am an assistant scout leader and am doing some work experience at a small Law Firm) but I am managing to get in my LSAT study around all of this.

Mon - Fri: 10-14 hours of study (2-3 hours in mornings and evenings)

Weekend - a further 10-16 hours of study (try to do 2 x 8 hour days but this has to be flex to suit other things that I do from time to time).

So I really have no excuse to not do well in June! I just wish I was one of those people who just immediately "got it"...lol!

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 am

Put some space in there for drilling. I would recommend the Cambridge drilling books. Don't overtest at the beginning especially, one or two a week, IMHO, should be enough. Definitely do a reading comp section a week and drill drill drill. Read the books, I personally prefer the Manhattan LG because its more up to date.

Eberry

Postby Eberry » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Whatever you do, avoid Testmasters.

longhorns

Postby longhorns » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:48 pm

how do you maintain motivation for studying i burn out after one section?

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:36 pm

longhorns wrote:how do you maintain motivation for studying i burn out after one section?

Your success on the LSAT and everything else you do will be determined by two things: what drives you, and how much drive you have.

If u have a few minutes to kill, take a look at what this obnoxious blockhead was able to do, just because he had a bit more drive than the average joe -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jf6HDw6vQo

I think if you have trouble going past one section, it may be helpful to keep reminders of what it is that drives you - I do cheesy things like put quotes up on my computer, etc. Good luck.

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:46 pm

cbellyoung wrote:I work part time hours, so usually start work at 10am/11am and finish by 4pm. Because of this, I have lots of spare time in the mornings and evenings. I also have other things to do (I kickbox 3 times a week, am an assistant scout leader and am doing some work experience at a small Law Firm) but I am managing to get in my LSAT study around all of this.

Mon - Fri: 10-14 hours of study (2-3 hours in mornings and evenings)

Weekend - a further 10-16 hours of study (try to do 2 x 8 hour days but this has to be flex to suit other things that I do from time to time).

So I really have no excuse to not do well in June! I just wish I was one of those people who just immediately "got it"...lol!

Learning to get good at the LSAT is kinda like learning to get good at golf -- it's about developing the right muscle memory (what I talk about in other posts as "skills and habits") and the manner in which you develop this muscle memory can have a significant impact on how easy or hard the training process is for you.

I think it's helpful to think of all of your prep in terms of developing the right skills and habits for the exam, and in general you want to work on getting the skills first, then the habits.

To develop skills, you want to focus on a fairly specific aspect of the exam (an LR question type, for example), and make sure you get a balanced mix of understanding (issues that underly the type of question, how the question type tends to be designed, etc), strategies (best way to approach the q type) and experience (drilling just that question type to reinforce understanding and strategies).

Then you want to move on to developing stronger and stronger habits, by focusing on things like full practice exams.

I think it's really important to be careful about going from skills to habits.

I've seen and worked with plenty of people who focus on habits too early (by doing tons of practice exams and whatnot) -- and what ends up happening (as you might imagine happens in golf) is that they develop some good habits, but also some bad ones, and, once the student knows more about the exam and has more advanced skills, a great amount of work needs to be devoted to fixing the bad habits. By making sure that you focus on skills first, then habits, I think you can be more efficient with your prep. Good luck.

cbellyoung

Postby cbellyoung » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:00 pm

longhorns wrote:how do you maintain motivation for studying i burn out after one section?

As Mik Ekim has already stated, I maintain motivation because of what the LSAT represents. If I can defeat the LSAT, then I potentially have the means to apply for Law School's in Canada, which means that I can apply for immigration, which means my Canadian fiance and I can leave the UK and start a life over there (which is what we want to do).

I know I could study Law here in the UK, but I don't want to, because I want to practice law in Canada. That's where my future is, that's where I'm going to try and get a job and that's where I hope to become a citizen.

So, that's my motivation. All the hours, the horrible early mornings, the frustration over the questions...it's all to enable me to defeat this very large hurdle that stands between myself and my life in Canada.

And when a dumb test has such huge ramifications, you realise that you have to find a way of defeating it!

That said, I do get burn out after 3 hours of study. In which case, I usually have a Banana, do a bunch of press ups and play Sudoku for 10 mins or so. Then I go back to my study...usually helps to get rid of the burn out!!

cbellyoung

Postby cbellyoung » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Mik Ekim - thank you for your reply. You have confirmed everything that I've been thinking. A lot of people have been telling me to include the prep tests in my PS Bible reading, but that seems crazy to me, coz I'm not confident enough with the skills to tackle the questions. I tried doing it today (re-read the Must Be True chapter, re-did the question drills in this chapter, then attempted 3 Must Be True Q's in one of my older prep test books) and it just got me even more confused.

You're totally right. I need to learn the skills first before I can form the habits. To extend your gold analogy, I'm a kickboxer, and my master is always telling us to kick lower to develop the correct technique. Once the technique is there, speed, height and accuracy will come. Its exactly the same with tackling the LSAT prep. I need to learn the technique's first before I can take on prep tests with speed, accuracy and confidence.

So, that's what I'll do. I have also heard very good things about Steve Schwartz's study plans. I'm thinking of purchasing his 4 month day by day plan, just so I have a "road map" if you will...may stop me from feeling too overwhelmed and may provide some much needed structure.

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:47 pm

sure thing - good luck with your studies

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:53 pm

Mik Ekim wrote:If u have a few minutes to kill, take a look at what this obnoxious blockhead was able to do, just because he had a bit more drive than the average joe -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jf6HDw6vQo

Well im inspired

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”