LSAT Sensei

0913djp
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:26 am

LSAT Sensei

Postby 0913djp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 am

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone had previous experience with LSAT Sensei before? I am in the Chicago area and am deciding between his class and Blueprint's. To my knowledge, the one Blueprint professor who had great reviews has left the company (Luke?), and that makes me a bit concerned. I've heard good things about Testmasters as well but it's more expensive and less classes.

Let me know if you get the chance.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby bp shinners » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:01 pm

0913djp wrote:Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone had previous experience with LSAT Sensei before? I am in the Chicago area and am deciding between his class and Blueprint's. To my knowledge, the one Blueprint professor who had great reviews has left the company (Luke?), and that makes me a bit concerned. I've heard good things about Testmasters as well but it's more expensive and less classes.

Let me know if you get the chance.


Luke won't be teaching our class next session, and he was admittedly fantastic. But we've got a new guy (Patrick) who's awesome (in my unbelievably biased opinion). If you want to set up a time to meet/talk with him (as I think he's in Detroit for a few more weeks, so a phone call would probably be more convenient), shoot me a PM and I can get that set up.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 pm

I haven't worked with LSAT Sensei, but I've had some conversations with him and he has always impressed me as someone who knows the test exceedingly well and really enjoys teaching it. And it's always nice to support smaller, locally based businesses.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:04 pm

I haven't heard anything about the Sensei but I know most(if not all) TLSers who used blueprint have been very happy with the results and its viewed as the best of the bigger prep companies. I would've bought their online course if I had anyway of affording it. But then again, smaller companies due have its advantages too.

I know people aren't really high on testmasters©®™ here but that may be due to some if the company's non-lsat prep activities.

lsatprepd00d
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby lsatprepd00d » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:40 pm

LSAT Sensei (David Yi) claims to have scored 4 180s in a row but doesn't show you a full score report unless you're already a student. Does that seem kind of fishy to anyone else?

--LinkRemoved--

Reminds me of another LSAT Dave (Dave Hall), who claimed to have 3 180s but wouldn't show a score report.

Mik Ekim
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:06 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby Mik Ekim » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:59 pm

If you can, you should try out both classes. You'll know after the first session which one you should stick with.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:46 pm

lsatprepd00d wrote:LSAT Sensei (David Yi) claims to have scored 4 180s in a row but doesn't show you a full score report unless you're already a student. Does that seem kind of fishy to anyone else?

--LinkRemoved--

Reminds me of another LSAT Dave (Dave Hall), who claimed to have 3 180s but wouldn't show a score report.

Eh....I don't really care if he got a perfect score or not, as long as he knows the material(I.e. is scoring a 180 or a 178 really that different in this situation). Look at sports, the best coaches are often the best players.

As far as sitting in on classes, blueprint has some videos on youtube to see if you like their style. I'm will to bet if you contact the sensei guy and explain you're picking programs, he might be willing to send a 10 minute preview or something of his videos course if you ask

Mik Ekim
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:06 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby Mik Ekim » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 pm

If it's possible, it's best to sit in on a live class with your actual instructor.

nugnoy
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby nugnoy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:56 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
lsatprepd00d wrote:LSAT Sensei (David Yi) claims to have scored 4 180s in a row but doesn't show you a full score report unless you're already a student. Does that seem kind of fishy to anyone else?

--LinkRemoved--

Reminds me of another LSAT Dave (Dave Hall), who claimed to have 3 180s but wouldn't show a score report.

Eh....I don't really care if he got a perfect score or not, as long as he knows the material(I.e. is scoring a 180 or a 178 really that different in this situation). Look at sports, the best coaches are often the best players.

As far as sitting in on classes, blueprint has some videos on youtube to see if you like their style. I'm will to bet if you contact the sensei guy and explain you're picking programs, he might be willing to send a 10 minute preview or something of his videos course if you ask


I agree with this.

1. If he didn't get 180, but got ~178, ~176 multiple times, yeah it makes his course less appealing but that doesn't necessarily say the course is bad. If he's putting on that sort of claim, it's probably likely he'd score at least mid 170s consistently.

2. If he didn't get 180, got consistently low 170 or even lower and claimed that...then that's just immoral/fraudulent

Since I'm just looking at the issue as an outsider who doesn't need to make the choice of spending money on it, I'd say not displaying the 180s is not necessarily a reason to believe anything is wrong with the company.

If I was seriously looking into it though, I'd probably request a verification. But then there's no certain way to know it, unless he shows it to you in person by logging into the LSAC website. Anyone can just photoshop it like Dave. And unlike the people who actually proved him wrong, I'm not gonna dedicate so much time to actually prove/disprove the claim. If I had that much doubt probably better to sign up for testmasters/blueprint name brands and spend that time actually studying.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:08 am

nugnoy wrote:I agree with this.

1. If he didn't get 180, but got ~178, ~176 multiple times, yeah it makes his course less appealing but that doesn't necessarily say the course is bad. If he's putting on that sort of claim, it's probably likely he'd score at least mid 170s consistently.

2. If he didn't get 180, got consistently low 170 or even lower and claimed that...then that's just immoral/fraudulent

Since I'm just looking at the issue as an outsider who doesn't need to make the choice of spending money on it, I'd say not displaying the 180s is not necessarily a reason to believe anything is wrong with the company.

If I was seriously looking into it though, I'd probably request a verification. But then there's no certain way to know it, unless he shows it to you in person by logging into the LSAC website. Anyone can just photoshop it like Dave. And unlike the people who actually proved him wrong, I'm not gonna dedicate so much time to actually prove/disprove the claim. If I had that much doubt probably better to sign up for testmasters/blueprint name brands and spend that time actually studying.


Yeah, I really like blueprint and I was pretty upset when I realized I couldn't afford their courses. I just self studied and used http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/ and was pretty happy with the outcome.

lsatprepd00d
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby lsatprepd00d » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:16 pm

What's the difference in cost between each of the online classes?

lsatprepd00d
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby lsatprepd00d » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:12 am

lsatprepd00d wrote:LSAT Sensei (David Yi) claims to have scored 4 180s in a row but doesn't show you a full score report unless you're already a student. Does that seem kind of fishy to anyone else?

--LinkRemoved--

Reminds me of another LSAT Dave (Dave Hall), who claimed to have 3 180s but wouldn't show a score report.


It looks like LSAT Sensei has backed away from his claim of 4 180s in a row since I posted here a few days ago. His score report link used to show this:

--ImageRemoved--


Now the link that was about his score shows an unrelated message. He no longer shows the partial score report and doesn't mention anything about his score on that page.

I guess he is no longer making this claim? Seems more than kind of fishy now. I'm going to stay away from this guy and recommend that anyone else do the same.

0913djp
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:26 am

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby 0913djp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Doesn't bother me much if it's someone who has a 176 or a perfect score. The cost of the course is a good $200 cheaper. That's $200 that can go towards the cost of the LSAT.

That being said, I still haven't made up my mind. Thanks for everyone's input.

nugnoy
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby nugnoy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:40 am

If he DID change it, that does seem weird. If it were true, why would he change it?

Of course, I'm making a lot of assumptions haha.

lsatprepd00d
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby lsatprepd00d » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:27 pm

That's my question too!

He definitely changed it though. The old version's here too

http://web.archive.org/web/201205281250 ... eport.html

lsatsucks1
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby lsatsucks1 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:53 pm

lsatprepd00d wrote:That's my question too!

He definitely changed it though. The old version's here too

http://web.archive.org/web/201205281250 ... eport.html



Yes, this dude (Dave Yi) is REALLY shady. He's really charming and promises a lot of great things but from what I've heard from previous students (and experienced personally), he NEVER follows through. I had to, literally, hound him several times to maybe get a response. He turns your personal essays over right before the deadline is due. One of my friends was on the phone with someone else, not Dave Yi. He said that person was much more helpful and thorough than Dave was. I hope that person got paid. It is cheaper to go with him, but just know that you literally are paying for what you get with this guy. I ended up dropping and going with Blueprint. Much more reliable. Yelp has him at 5 stars. That's really fishy too, especially since I know a the majority of the people that I had class with were unhappy with Dave. I wonder if he had something to do with getting the 5 stars on Yelp.

I just heard that he almost got expelled from U Chicago. One of the guys I'm interning with went to law school with him. Just lots of sketchy things with him. I would stay away.

goldlief
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: LSAT Sensei

Postby goldlief » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:45 pm

lsatsucks1 wrote: Yes, this dude (Dave Yi) is REALLY shady. He's really charming and promises a lot of great things but from what I've heard from previous students (and experienced personally), he NEVER follows through. I had to, literally, hound him several times to maybe get a response. He turns your personal essays over right before the deadline is due. One of my friends was on the phone with someone else, not Dave Yi. He said that person was much more helpful and thorough than Dave was. I hope that person got paid. It is cheaper to go with him, but just know that you literally are paying for what you get with this guy. I ended up dropping and going with Blueprint. Much more reliable. Yelp has him at 5 stars. That's really fishy too, especially since I know a the majority of the people that I had class with were unhappy with Dave. I wonder if he had something to do with getting the 5 stars on Yelp.

I just heard that he almost got expelled from U Chicago. One of the guys I'm interning with went to law school with him. Just lots of sketchy things with him. I would stay away.


I realize this review was written a few years ago, but I cannot agree more - the shadiness, charming personality, hounding, not delivering on promises...I have no idea how this guy has a 5 star Yelp review.

I thought it was a good sign when he responded so quickly to my initial email inquiry; after speaking a few times and going through the free pulse check, I shelled out a significant amount of money for one-to-one tutoring and it went down hill from there. He misses appointments, reschedules last minute, doesn't respond to emails...sorry, but for the money I paid and the promises that were made to me (I.e. I'd be a priority), I don't think I should have to hound him to schedule time to meet with me or chase after him when he blows off the time we do have scheduled.

I will say he seems to know what he's talking about when we do meet (though I haven't worked with anyone else), but he greatly over exaggerates the services he claims to provide.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], brewpub16, jagerbom79, jen203 and 17 guests