WhiteyCakes

Re: To the full-time workers..

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Maybe Bizzybone is just a huge troll

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Maybe Bizzybone is just a huge troll

That would be too convenient an explanation.

redecember

Postby redecember » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:26 pm

hahahah wow didn't think I would receive this much feedback. Thanks guys, it was extremely entertaining to read all your posts :lol:

With that said, I decided that I'm going to pick up a full-time job. Thanks again and good luck to you all

10romeom

Postby 10romeom » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:31 am

I currently work full time, school full time, and will be taking the LSAT June 2013. It's absolutely possible if you stay motivated. That being said, I don't remember the last time I went out with my friends, but that is a consequence of doing this which I'm okay with. I study usually 3ish hours a day. Some days I come home and can't focus, so I study one hour but then double up the next day at the library. I try to get 25 solid hours of studying in a week, so however that is split up doesn't matter IMO. And just in the perspective of school, I did one semester working at part time and it is my worst semester to date. I stay more organized the busier I am, maybe it's just me!

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:It was the opposite for me. I liked to keep my LSAT studying personal, but everybody kept hounding me. If I could recommend one thing to people: do not tell people that you are studying for the LSAT or when you plan to take it.

+1 to the above.

I have a full-time job, three small children, and yo, I'm in for JUNE (unless my PT's don't start going up)

jcccc

Postby jcccc » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:00 pm

It's doable. I'm doing it right now with a full course load and I'm content with the way I'm progressing.
Just stop chasing tail on weekends and dedicate yourself to studying.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:30 pm

10romeom wrote:I currently work full time, school full time, and will be taking the LSAT June 2013. It's absolutely possible if you stay motivated. That being said, I don't remember the last time I went out with my friends, but that is a consequence of doing this which I'm okay with. I study usually 3ish hours a day. Some days I come home and can't focus, so I study one hour but then double up the next day at the library. I try to get 25 solid hours of studying in a week, so however that is split up doesn't matter IMO. And just in the perspective of school, I did one semester working at part time and it is my worst semester to date. I stay more organized the busier I am, maybe it's just me!

This, although my work cut my hours to about 28 so they don't have to give me health care. That said i have an hour commute to school so that adds to it..

Anyways, I have been spending less time with most of my friends, but I have enough time for my girlfriend, and I have a friend who I'm studying with. Doable.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Reading this makes me optimistic that I can do it with my current full time job.

I know it'll be worth it, but right now I'm dying. :)

Jdn

Postby Jdn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:29 pm

I was working 10 hour days 6 days a week over the last 7 monthes. Woke up early, studied LR in the morning for an hour and a half, did logic games at lunch for an hour (figured it was easy to jump into that thinking during the middle of the day), and then did some other aspect at night from approx. 8 - 10 pm. Every Sunday I wrote a PT. I took my job Sept.1st thinking I was going to have to forfeit law school for at least one year because there would be absolutely no time to study, but after realizing my current job was not the bee's knees so to speak, it gave me the drive to study and get it done. Waiting on Feb. results, so perhaps my plan was not perfect, but I think you should go for it.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 pm

I took the LSAT twice, and increased my score four points when working full time compared to when I was unemployed the first time I took it. I found a great library close to my work that was open late. (If I went home, all study was out the window.) Mon-Thu I left work at 6, ate a sandwich, studied until 10, home by 10:45. Saturdays I took whole tests under simulated conditions. I increased my hours slightly closer to the test by including Sundays, but that was my basic structure, and it worked great.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:12 am

You can absolutely study for the LSAT with a full time job. I studied from March-June working 9-5. I tried to work for an hour or 2 after work each night, focusing on method/drilling on each of the individual sections, and took a full PT on every other Sunday (every Sunday in the month before the test). That was the goal and it wasn't always met, but it gave me plenty of time to pull up my score. I'm not sure what more I would have done to study even if I had more time than I did, honestly.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:30 am

I cannot believe some of these responses...

If you have the financial means to not work full time do it. Some of us have had to work full time all throughout undergrad and continue to do so today because we do not have families and pocket books to support us; the supposition that law schools expect us to not make a wage to support ourselves while preparing is preposterous. Do the best you can with what you have. No one can tell you what you can afford to do today other than yourself.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:34 am

Rory19 wrote:I cannot believe some of these responses...

If you have the financial means to not work full time do it. Some of us have had to work full time all throughout undergrad and continue to do so today because we do not have families and pocket books to support us; the supposition that law schools expect us to not make a wage to support ourselves while preparing is preposterous. Do the best you can with what you have. No one can tell you what you can afford to do today other than yourself.

I was working 60+ hour weeks and had more than enough time to study for the LSAT. Consider it a preview for life as a lawyer.
On the other hand, I don't recommend working a full load while in law school, because you'll have less time to study than the rest of your classmates, which will fuck you on the curve

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:51 am

I agree with bizzybone. The LSAT is your job.

evolution

Postby evolution » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:13 pm

canarykb wrote:You can absolutely study for the LSAT with a full time job. I studied from March-June working 9-5. I tried to work for an hour or 2 after work each night, focusing on method/drilling on each of the individual sections, and took a full PT on every other Sunday (every Sunday in the month before the test). That was the goal and it wasn't always met, but it gave me plenty of time to pull up my score. I'm not sure what more I would have done to study even if I had more time than I did, honestly.

And what was your LSAT score?

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:42 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:I agree with bizzybone. The LSAT is your job.

I think this entire stance is ridiculous and elitist. To take it to an extreme, if I have to work to feed my family should I write an addendum explaining that my 95th percentile LSAT score should not be viewed as an accurate appraisal of my potential because I worked full time while studying? No, that would sound whiny and ridiculous, schools do not expect the LSAT to be your job. They expect you to put weight on it, plan ahead, and study with the gravity and dedication it requires.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:45 pm

'Twas a sad day when this thread was brought back from the TLS graveyard

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:47 pm

I'll simply repeat my stance: if you have the monetary support necessary to help you get through, by all means, go ahead and focus on the LSAT as a full-time job; if you can't, its not the end of the world, there are plenty of people who do it and do very very well. If you have the will and determination, you can do it. It's just a test, in the end, and you'll naturally get better as you study.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:00 pm

evolution wrote:
canarykb wrote:You can absolutely study for the LSAT with a full time job. I studied from March-June working 9-5. I tried to work for an hour or 2 after work each night, focusing on method/drilling on each of the individual sections, and took a full PT on every other Sunday (every Sunday in the month before the test). That was the goal and it wasn't always met, but it gave me plenty of time to pull up my score. I'm not sure what more I would have done to study even if I had more time than I did, honestly.

evolution

Postby evolution » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:21 pm

canarykb wrote:
evolution wrote:

Well that settles that. Props to you for achieving that.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:30 pm

canarykb wrote:
evolution wrote:

Good lord there's hope

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:44 pm

Rory19 wrote:I think this entire stance is ridiculous and elitist. To take it to an extreme, if I have to work to feed my family should I write an addendum explaining that my 95th percentile LSAT score should not be viewed as an accurate appraisal of my potential because I worked full time while studying? No, that would sound whiny and ridiculous, schools do not expect the LSAT to be your job. They expect you to put weight on it, plan ahead, and study with the gravity and dedication it requires.

the doctor fixed you

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:12 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
canarykb wrote:
evolution wrote:

Good lord there's hope

I think this entire stance is ridiculous and elitist. To take it to an extreme, if I have to work to feed my family should I write an addendum explaining that my 95th percentile LSAT score should not be viewed as an accurate appraisal of my potential because I worked full time while studying? No, that would sound whiny and ridiculous, schools do not expect the LSAT to be your job. They expect you to put weight on it, plan ahead, and study with the gravity and dedication it requires.

I agree with this. Absolutely you should work your butt off for the LSAT, I made it my top priority after work, but it does not have to be a full time job. By now you should have a strong sense of your study style and be able to make a study plan that works for you. I mean, I worked throughout undergrad, and in Law School we'll have to be balancing studying with job searching and extracurriculars, time management is one of those skills you gotta know.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:51 pm

canarykb wrote: it does not have to be a full time job.

wrong

KFV

Postby KFV » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:32 pm

I'm baffled by some of the responses here, especially people saying that you "can" write the LSAT while working and going to school and caring for infants and so on. Yeah, of course you "can"... you "can" write the LSAT without any prep after having spent the whole night drinking, but that certainly doesn't mean you should.

A lot of people do well on the LSAT after having studied only part-time, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't have done better if they'd studied more. If you can't treat studying like a full-time job, then you can't. If you can, and you don't, then you may regret it when you don't get into the school of your choice. Hey, maybe you still will! But why not do everything in your power to make it as likely as possible an outcome?

I studied full-time for the two weeks immediately before the LSAT and it was absolutely the right decision for me. Besides the fact that I had more time to devote to prepping, I was also just way more focused on the test itself. Going into the test, I mostly just thought about the LSAT. While I ate, while I bathed, even while I slept. Come test day, the only thing that mattered to me was going out and beating the LSAT. There's no way I could've had that intensity if I'd been concerning myself with work.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”