Testing Centers in PA/NY

Dee32

Testing Centers in PA/NY

Postby Dee32 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:53 pm

Taking the LSAT in June in either NY or PA. I live/work in NYC, but I am from PA, so if PA happens to have a preferable testing location then I will go there to take the test.

NYC options include Brooklyn College - CUNY, Touro College and Queens College. PA options include Lehigh, Villanova (took LSAT there June 2011 and did not have a great experience), Swarthmore, UPenn, Drexel and Temple.

Does anyone have any recent experience with any of these test centers, or have heard stories from friends who took the LSAT at any of the above locations? I've seen a couple websites with ratings here and there, but that's it. My biggest concern is probably desk size. Thanks very much in advance.

Theopliske8711

Re: Testing Centers in PA/NY

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm scheduled at CUNY Law School. I have heard really good things about that center.

You can find some reviews here: http://www.simugator.com/lsat-test-site-rater.php

Whatever you do. Make sure to take it at a law school. Far less of a risk that you'll be put in one of those tight desks.

banana$$stand

Postby banana$$stand » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:06 pm

I have taken the LSAT at both Temple and Penn.

Temple- not very organized, small and noisy desks, took forever to get all the students/exams passed out.

Penn- everything went much more smoothly. Large tables (ample room to spread out exam and actually breathe comfortably) and the proctors were much more professional.

Penn FTW

tacofreedom

Postby tacofreedom » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Took the February test at UPENN. Highly recommend. Everything proceeded smoothly; we started up around 9:30. Best part: the room was dead silent. The only noise I registered was an ambulance outside during a section, but even then I could barely hear it due to the double or triple paned windows. Also big tables and respectful proctors.

Never been, but have heard horror stories about Villanova. ie marching band playing outside for 3 sections to prep for their night game...

Dee32

Postby Dee32 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I put very little thought into choice of testing location the first go around (when I took it at Villanova). I figured since I "knew" Villanova (I had previously been there for other events and had gone to school in the general area), it would be a good location to take the test. I didn't bother to check on here or on ratings websites. I'm still unaware of the general perception of Villanova as a testing site, but I can tell you that my experience brought with it a construction truck beeping for about 30-40 minutes directly outside my classroom on the grounds and small desks (I had not prepared for a beeping construction truck.). I ended up canceling that score -- not because of the testing site conditions -- but that experience definitely made me cautious about taking the test just anywhere that seemed convenient.

Would love to hear more opinions on the aforementioned testing sites if anyone has them.

jvsj

Postby jvsj » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:38 pm

tacofreedom wrote:Took the February test at UPENN. Highly recommend. Everything proceeded smoothly; we started up around 9:30. Best part: the room was dead silent. The only noise I registered was an ambulance outside during a section, but even then I could barely hear it due to the double or triple paned windows. Also big tables and respectful proctors.

Never been, but have heard horror stories about Villanova. ie marching band playing outside for 3 sections to prep for their night game...

taco: which room were you in? 1st one from the left, or 2nd?

OP: i was extremely comfortable at Penn and their facilities were very nice as well.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 pm

I was at Penn too and the only issue was that a bird got into the room at some point. We were below ground-level so it made no sense haha

tacofreedom

Postby tacofreedom » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:38 pm

jvsj: I was on the first one from the left.

All in all great center. If I have to retake *sigh* it will be at UPENN...

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Last edited by phillywc on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josh4737

Postby Josh4737 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 am

How is Lehigh? There's only one review on the website but does anyone know more about it?

banana$$stand

Re: Testing Centers in PA/NY.

Postby banana$$stand » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:14 am

phillywc wrote:I signed up without thinking and picked Swarthmore because it was close to my house.

Now i've read they have small desks and it costs 35 bucks to change test center to penn.

That can't be worth it.. can it?

I would gladly hand over $35 for better testing conditions. Seems like a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

jvsj

Postby jvsj » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:03 pm

tacofreedom wrote:jvsj: I was on the first one from the left.

All in all great center. If I have to retake *sigh* it will be at UPENN...

Taco: Same here. Couldn't have asked for a better room. Although, it was pretty uneventful. I was hoping for some funny people, but everyone seemed pretty serious.

phillywc

Re: Testing Centers in PA/NY.

Postby phillywc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Last edited by phillywc on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Stony Brook NY. Any experiences?

waysidemadison180

Postby waysidemadison180 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Don't mean to bump an old thread, but I was going to take the LSAT again this test. However, I had some other obligations that prevented me from doing so, so I'm going to have to wait until the next test.

I am going to be taking it at a NY test center, and I am curious as to what people's thoughts were on some of the test centers they had this time. I've been looking at this test site rater for new york (http://www.simugator.com/lsat-test-sites.php?state=NY), but I'd like to see some updated info as I'm sure the conditions change throughout the years and even from test to test. Obviously, the more recent the experience, the better too. Sorry, if this is super premature. I'm just anxious to know how it went for today's test takers, and where I should go in the fall when I take mine.

So any new entries in that LSAT rater for today's test for NY test centers would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance. :D

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:33 pm

just took it at Pace and it was awesome. huge lecture hall, spaced like 4 seats apart from everybody, had all the room in the world (my bubble sheet was probably a god two and a half feet away from me until the last 2 min of every section), and really comfortable chairs (im 6' 5" btw lol), started and ended on time. Highly recommended.

waysidemadison180

Postby waysidemadison180 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks, good to know.

waysidemadison180

Postby waysidemadison180 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Anybody else? I keep checking http://www.lsatrater.com, but I'd like to see some ny test center ratings/experiences from this past test. Feel free to share as it would be much appreciated!

Thethoughtcounts176

Postby Thethoughtcounts176 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:I'm scheduled at CUNY Law School. I have heard really good things about that center.

You can find some reviews here: http://www.simugator.com/lsat-test-site-rater.php

Whatever you do. Make sure to take it at a law school. Far less of a risk that you'll be put in one of those tight desks.

What test centers are available for NY, NJ, and PA for the October LSAT again? I'm looking at the rater, but not all of these test centers are going to be available this cycle. How do I find out what test centers are available for the upcoming test specifically?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Thethoughtcounts176 wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:I'm scheduled at CUNY Law School. I have heard really good things about that center.

What test centers are available for NY, NJ, and PA for the October LSAT again? I'm looking at the rater, but not all of these test centers are going to be available this cycle. How do I find out what test centers are available for the upcoming test specifically?

login to your LSAC account (create one if you don't have one), then go to test registration area, select October and go from there to get to lists of available test centers. When you try to register for the test it lists currently available centers when you are supposed to select a test location for the registration, that is how you see which centers are available at the moment you are logged in.
Last edited by Jeffort on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 10052014 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:38 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
phillywc wrote:I signed up without thinking and picked Swarthmore because it was close to my house.

Now i've read they have small desks and it costs 35 bucks to change test center to penn.

That can't be worth it.. can it?

Small desks? Shouldnt be a problem if you are not too big.

I would take a test center close to my house anyday. You can practice in the room before test day.

Small desks can be a significant problem if they are the really small ones not much bigger than the test booklet when it is closed, meaning that when open, one side of the booklet will hang off the desk and there is no room to keep the answer sheet beside the test book. These are typically those little flapper desks that flip up from beside the seats. Those ones really suck and can mess up test day since you have to keep juggling the answer sheet and test book.

Thethoughtcounts176

Postby Thethoughtcounts176 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Jeffort wrote:
Thethoughtcounts176 wrote:

login to your LSAC account (create one if you don't have one), then go to test registration area, select October and go from there to get to lists of available test centers. When you try to register for the test it lists currently available centers when you are supposed to select a test location for the registration, that is how you see which centers are available at the moment you are logged in.

OK cool, thanks, yeah i just found this: http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/testing-locations I probably should have done this much earlier. Sh*t lol

Just completely lapsed my mind. Watch I would have bulldozed this test but now have to drive 3 hours each way. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

mkania

Postby mkania » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:14 am

Welp, I just signed up for Villanova since I live nearby. And of course on the testing day there is a home football game about 100 yards from the building....It is at 1:00pm

Serious question, am I allowed to stuff my ears with anything to dull noise.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 am

mkania wrote:Welp, I just signed up for Villanova since I live nearby. And of course on the testing day there is a home football game about 100 yards from the building....It is at 1:00pm

Serious question, am I allowed to stuff my ears with anything to dull noise.

No, earplugs aren't allowed and you aren't supposed to stuff tissue paper or anything in them either during the test cuz they require you to be able to hear the proctors.

Don't worry about it, most of the test will be over before the game starts. You'll probably be on the writing sample by 1pm.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”