March 12 and/or Beyond
12%

Total votes: 191

jvincent11

Re: Feb Waiters: LSAC.org ragequit [New Poll]

Postby jvincent11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:28 pm

mrscrouge wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:
There are more successful lawyers with sub 165 scores than 165+. But good luck.

Not to be a debbie downer but im pretty sure this is because there are a lot more sub 165 scores than 165+. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the ratio of successful lawyers in the pool of <165 score is lower than >165, aka its "more likely" youll be succesful with a 165+

Not refuting anything you said, just trying to convey that sub 165 and sub T14 does not equal unsuccessful lawyer and that there are thousands who become successful. But it doesn't matter because we are all going to receive 170+ :D

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:35 pm

jwg6x6 wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:
Holynorth wrote:Went in pting and expecting 170-172, a 168 was a pessimistic score in case of a blunder. I'd be happy to get a 164 or 165 after missing every question on the last RC passage. My goal is to matriculate this fall. However, I have one more retake left and will use it this summer. Depending on how I do there (aiming for a 172-175, I may have to rethink my future).

There are more successful lawyers with sub 165 scores than 165+. But good luck. I PT'd 170+ though I also have a pessimistic view and think I will end up in the mid 160s. One thing is for sure, this grueling wait is coming to an end!

That is the most logically fallacious way to look at LSAT scores I have ever heard. There may be more successful lawyers with sub 165 scores than 165+ but that is only because there are so many MORE TOTAL lawyers with sub 165 lawyers. If you look at a proportion, I would be willing to bet my LSAT score that a higher PROPORTION of 165+ lawyers are successful.

The way you interpreted my comment makes it seem like you thought I was advocating a sub 165 is better than 165+ and I don't even know how to address that. OP alluded to having to rethink his future if he doesn't score in the 170's, and I was just reassuring him that if he really wants to be a successful lawyer he can do that despite a 164, which is still 90%. There are schools like Vanderbilt, UCLA, BC, Fordham, ND, just to name a few, that produce good lawyers and a 164 is competitive at all of those.

OliveBC

Postby OliveBC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:06 pm

I realized earlier today that this wait has made me a little bit ridiculous. (I decided to go ahead and mark today off of my countdown calendar because it was "practically over"....at 11 am this morning)

You'vegotmail

Postby You'vegotmail » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:08 pm

I also got a letter from LSAC about my SSN, but that was on Tuesday of last week. I faxed it in right away, and they said it wouldn't delay my score. They were on the ball and I don't think we'll get our scores any later than Wednesday.

Eli

Postby Eli » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:11 pm

You're right, LSAC is really good about turning things around, being dependable, and meeting deadlines barring natural disasters. Plus they're always nice on the phone.

The killer is knowing our scores are probably ready right now, sitting inside the LSAC database, just waiting on stragglers and the hanging chad of the LSAT world before we get to see them. :|

rwilson37643

Postby rwilson37643 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 pm

good luck all

PrettyLittleDitty

Postby PrettyLittleDitty » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:12 pm

So, just curious, has anyone done anything noteworthy while waiting? Go anywhere or do anything fun? I managed to quit smoking :D

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:26 pm

PrettyLittleDitty wrote:So, just curious, has anyone done anything noteworthy while waiting? Go anywhere or do anything fun? I managed to quit smoking :D

I quit the other day too.

levtrotsky

Postby levtrotsky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:01 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
PrettyLittleDitty wrote:So, just curious, has anyone done anything noteworthy while waiting? Go anywhere or do anything fun? I managed to quit smoking :D

congrats to both of you. I managed to start up again. At this point Kools and black coffee are the only things keeping me mildly sane :D

dosemfb89

Postby dosemfb89 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:13 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:

Wow. I'm trying to quit too!
Today's the third day since my last one.
Good luck y'all.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:17 am

A surprising amount of smokers in this thread! I just had my first today after "taking a week off" (flu). Good luck to everyone who's trying to quit though!

kmc

Postby kmc » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:25 am

dosemfb89 wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:

Wow. I'm trying to quit too!
Today's the third day since my last one.
Good luck y'all.

and also me. today's my 4th day!

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:32 am

OliveBC wrote:I realized earlier today that this wait has made me a little bit ridiculous. (I decided to go ahead and mark today off of my countdown calendar because it was "practically over"....at 11 am this morning)

This made me laugh. I totally understand though. The scores are not coming soon enough. I'm hoping they come on the 4th!

lawl92

Postby lawl92 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:03 am

sid.bahl wrote:Is anyone here applying for Fall 2013 admission? If so, what was your goal with the February 2013 LSAT? What schools are you looking at?

I graduate in May so I'm looking at Fall 2013 admission...I thought about taking a year off so I could devote all of efforts towards the LSAT, but my family thought it would be impractical.

Any other younger people applying? If I matriculate in the fall then I'll be turning 21 about a month before classes start.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:16 am

lawl92 wrote: I graduate in May so I'm looking at Fall 2013 admission...I thought about taking a year off so I could devote all of efforts towards the LSAT, but my family thought it would be impractical.

That is exactly what I did. 100% worth it. Take a course and study all summer, take in October have applications done by November and then do whatever the hell you want for the rest of the year.

I took in December and expect a big increase on the Feb test and if I have a bad cycle I may sit out another year for schools I know I will get into if I apply early next year. Hopefully that doesn't happen but where you go is so important that it's foolish not to wait 1 more year if you can get into a better school or get more scholarship money

epiphinous7

Postby epiphinous7 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:20 am

lawl92 wrote:
sid.bahl wrote:Is anyone here applying for Fall 2013 admission? If so, what was your goal with the February 2013 LSAT? What schools are you looking at?

I graduate in May so I'm looking at Fall 2013 admission...I thought about taking a year off so I could devote all of efforts towards the LSAT, but my family thought it would be impractical.

Any other younger people applying? If I matriculate in the fall then I'll be turning 21 about a month before classes start.

No need for a year. That's even too much time. Give yourself 6 months at most and 3 months at least. Buy prep books and tests (but not Testmasters since they're pieces of shit) and do them untimed, then timed then in test setting (i.e. 5 sections in a row). Browse around and ask questions on TLS when you hit problems. Save a whole bunch of $$$ by not paying an asshole to teach what you can learn from a book.

lawl92

Postby lawl92 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:32 am

epiphinous7 wrote:
lawl92 wrote:

No need for a year. That's even too much time. Give yourself 6 months at most and 3 months at least. Buy prep books and tests (but not Testmasters since they're pieces of shit) and do them untimed, then timed then in test setting (i.e. 5 sections in a row). Browse around and ask questions on TLS when you hit problems. Save a whole bunch of $$$ by not paying an asshole to teach what you can learn from a book.

Oh sorry, I did not mean that I intended to dedicate an entire year towards the LSAT. I would have just taken a gap year between undergrad and law school, spending a portion of the time studying for the LSAT. However, if I like the score from this February test then I'll use it for this admissions cycle... I'm would be perfectly happy to go to the top university in my state (in-state tuition + leftover scholarship money because I finished undergrad early) I wouldn't turn down a T-14 (or 25 + scholarship) acceptance, but I don't foresee such an acceptance occurring. Especially this late in the cycle. Thank you for the advice though! Best of luck :D

totalgleek

Postby totalgleek » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:17 am

so...
everyone knows LSACs website crashed this week and it took them a couple days to fix it right?

no one seems very worried

Holynorth

Postby Holynorth » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:20 am

totalgleek wrote:so...
everyone knows LSACs website crashed this week and it took them a couple days to fix it right?

What is there to be worried about? It would be different teams working on the scores and working on their website (if the problems with their site was even something they could work on.)

OliveBC

Postby OliveBC » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 am

I haven't done anything spectacular at all during the wait :( just go to class and scribble a bunch of lsat score predictions in the margins of my notes

Eli

Postby Eli » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:49 am

totalgleek wrote:so...

My PC must be magic.. I never had a single problem. Maybe the LSAC gods are smiling on me? (Yes? Please?) ;)

Jules176

Postby Jules176 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:15 am

levtrotsky wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:

congrats to both of you. I managed to start up again. At this point Kools and black coffee are the only things keeping me mildly sane :D

Congrats on quitting smoking! I had quit drinking last year but this waiting period blew that to hell.

mtr12345

Postby mtr12345 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:43 am

it's not looking like today will be the day :(

illiniguy1551

Postby illiniguy1551 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Does anyone know what time the icons typically turn grey? Hopefully they come Monday, I can easily drink the weekend away.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:22 pm

mtr12345 wrote:it's not looking like today will be the day :(

lol, it's not even 8:30 in the morning!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”