March 8
3%
March 11
1%
March 12 and/or Beyond
12%

Total votes: 191

facile princeps

Re: Feb Waiters (ATTENTION: Discuss LSAT Qs → BANNED)

Postby facile princeps » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:04 pm

chickpea wrote:
facile princeps wrote:RC was a bitch indeed. I'm actually contemplating canceling because of that and the fact that I know I missed at least 2 questions on the last game (the first 3 games were easy). I'm thinking -4/5 on LR combined, -5/8 on that horrible RC, and -2/4 on games. Best case scenario -11 gets me a 170; worst case scenario -17 gets me less than my first score.

Are you applying this cycle? You may have done better than you think you did but if you're not feeling great about the test perhaps you could cancel and re-take in June?

I've already gotten into some really good schools. The goal here was any/all of NYU's AnBryce (in already), Columbia's Hamilton (app still pending), or to increase my chance of getting into Yale (app still pending). The thing is, I'm 100% sure I didn't do well enough to get a 173 or better. So I doubt my new score will accomplish any of these goals. I'm going to think about it for another day or 2.

gobosox wrote:Why would they reuse questions from old PTs in an experimental? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

No idea why they would, but there were at least 2 people at my center who were sure they saw their experimental sections before. One even said that she remembered them from practicing the night before. Strange.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Will we learn our raw scores or just our scaled scores? Also, what is the date people think the exam scores will come out?

SicSemper

Postby SicSemper » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Because February is an unreleased test I believe you will never know the curve or your raw score, just your scaled score.

jwg6x6

Postby jwg6x6 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:14 pm

When do you guys think will be the earliest they MIGHT come out with the scores?

Any chance they will release the first batch really early because there are so many fewer tests with the east coast canceled and then release the second batch (the east coast tests) on the 6th?

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:14 pm

How are you all holding up? I'm predicting March 5th.

OliveBC

Postby OliveBC » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm sure I could look this up somewhere, but will LSAC send an email with the score in it? Or just send an email that the score has posted? I suppose it doesn't really matter, just curious...

ughghghgh this waiting is horrible. I can only imagine how bad it'll be waiting to hear back about decisions from schools next year.

Redbandit

Postby Redbandit » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:54 pm

The score is typically posted in the email.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:48 pm

facile princeps wrote:
gobosox wrote:Why would they reuse questions from old PTs in an experimental? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

No idea why they would, but there were at least 2 people at my center who were sure they saw their experimental sections before. One even said that she remembered them from practicing the night before. Strange.

There is a simple reason that probably explains why people have reported having questions in the experimental section they had seen before on recently released tests, that the scored sections felt like the style of slightly older tests and that the LGs were printed one per page instead of the new 2 pages per game format.

LSAC recycled an old previously administered Feb (or sabbath or international or otherwise non-disclosed) test using the leftover original test booklets from the batch that were printed years ago for the first time it was administered.

Given the short amount of time between original scheduled test date and the make-up date (one week), LSAC probably didn't have time to print up fresh new test booklets with a fully equated, never seen before test plus new experimental sections to distribute them to the test centers for the make-up administration, and instead found a previously administered February test from several years ago in their warehouse that they had enough copies of to cover the number of people that had to take the make-up test due to the weather.

If that is the case and the test was originally administered say three or more years ago, then some of the experimental sections or questions in the exp sections originally printed in the test books however many years back had since become scored, or parts of scored sections on later administered disclosed tests. Pretty much a little bit of a time warp where the experimental sections printed years ago had matured enough to be born again later as real scored sections while the scored sections were just prisoners kept locked up in the dark in a warehouse waiting for a rainy day to be seen by test takers one more time as scored sections before again getting locked up in the LSAC dungeon to collect more dust and hope to one day be released for people to see other than on a test day.

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:46 pm

OliveBC wrote:Is everyone in this thread a guy? I mean I like boobs as much as the next person, but can't we balance out all the boob gifs with some David Beckham or something?

I'm a girl. Maybe some Adam Levine?

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Jeffort wrote:
facile princeps wrote:

There is a simple reason that probably explains why people have reported having questions in the experimental section they had seen before on recently released tests, that the scored sections felt like the style of slightly older tests and that the LGs were printed one per page instead of the new 2 pages per game format.

LSAC recycled an old previously administered Feb (or sabbath or international or otherwise non-disclosed) test using the leftover original test booklets from the batch that were printed years ago for the first time it was administered.

Given the short amount of time between original scheduled test date and the make-up date (one week), LSAC probably didn't have time to print up fresh new test booklets with a fully equated, never seen before test plus new experimental sections to distribute them to the test centers for the make-up administration, and instead found a previously administered February test from several years ago in their warehouse that they had enough copies of to cover the number of people that had to take the make-up test due to the weather.

If that is the case and the test was originally administered say three or more years ago, then some of the experimental sections or questions in the exp sections originally printed in the test books however many years back had since become scored, or parts of scored sections on later administered disclosed tests. Pretty much a little bit of a time warp where the experimental sections printed years ago had matured enough to be born again later as real scored sections while the scored sections were just prisoners kept locked up in the dark in a warehouse waiting for a rainy day to be seen by test takers one more time as scored sections before again getting locked up in the LSAC dungeon to collect more dust and hope to one day be released for people to see other than on a test day.

Makes sense. Anyone remember which section those questions came from?

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 am

Jeffort wrote:
facile princeps wrote:

You're right. I had already figured that they would have given us an old test and now it all makes sense. Those guys must have practiced with some of those old experimental questions that eventually made it to scored sections.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:52 am

When I took the test LSAC decided to do a little experiment with the experimental section on some test takers for a research study. For experimental some people (as I learned later, I was one of the *lucky* guinea pigs) got an LR section that had already been a scored section on a fairly recent disclosed test but was modified a little bit for the experiment.

Apparently LSAC wanted to test if certain structural features of questions had an impact on how people did with each question in terms of the percentage of people and from which score range sub-groups selected the correct answer choice and each of the other four choices if the same answer choices were presented in a different order as compared to when the questions were previously administered. As well as mixing up the order of the answer choices for some questions, for others they mixed up the order the questions came in from the original section in several different ways (re-arranging the order of certain small blocks of questions in certain ranges, #s 15-20 for example, or drastically changing the placement/order of questions in the section.)

According to the research report they had a few different modified versions of the same original LR section with different ways they mixed around the questions and/or answer choices that they administered in order to compare with how people in various score ranges performed on the same section content as it was administered before and to re-assess the difficulty ratings of the questions to see if mixing things around changed the measured difficulty levels of the individual questions and of the section as a whole.

I had taken the previous test they took the LR section from as a practice test in the week before taking the real test since it was from a disclosed previous administration. On test day when I hit that section I kept thinking it was really familiar and had moments when I thought I was going LSAT bonkers because I would read the stimulus and immediately the CR would pop into my mind verbatim before looking at the choices (I'm talking word for word, not a vague pre-phrase). I also remembered which AC letter it was when I had seen it before, but then I would find it as a different letter in the list of ACs! I also recalled/recognized the incorrect answer choices as I read through the choices for each question so it felt like deja-vu since I expected the exact text of them after only having read the stimulus, and then read them, but they seemed weird since they were in a different order than I remembered them from before!

During that section, since it was all the same questions and answer choices I had taken and reviewed days before but with stuff shuffled around, I thought I was going LSAT bonkers. Why do I remember all these almost perfectly word for word?? but remember the correct AC letter wrong for every one? Why did I know a sharks question was going to come right after the asteroid problem and then a flower one next before even reading them? WTF is going on? Has my brain fried? Is this stuff just all blurring together to look the same due to LSAT overload? Have I studied soo hard and well that I broke through into a parallel universe and became LSAT psychic/telepathic? Needless to say it was weird! I came back to sanity in the next section (which was also LR) when I noticed that I didn't recognize any of those questions. I wrote off the experience as test day stress/LSAT burnout/temporary LSAT insanity or whatever and forgot about it until years later when LSAC released the research report and I stumbled across it. When I read the report it all made sense and I thought 'oh you devious f*ckers LSAC, I questioned my sanity that day thanks to your little brain twister experiment! You b*stards, how dare you mess with my little brain on the big day when it counted!' lol

jmart154

Postby jmart154 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:55 am

facile princeps wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
facile princeps wrote:

You're right. I had already figured that they would have given us an old test and now it all makes sense. Those guys must have practiced with some of those old experimental questions that eventually made it to scored sections.

wtf?

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:43 am

jmart154 wrote:
facile princeps wrote:
Jeffort wrote:There is a simple reason that probably explains why people have reported having questions in the experimental section they had seen before on recently released tests, that the scored sections felt like the style of slightly older tests and that the LGs were printed one per page instead of the new 2 pages per game format.

wtf?

I did the 'make-up' test on the 16th because my test center was closed due to a snow storm in the north east. I figured LSAC had to give us a different test from the one that was administered on the 9th, and I suspected that it would have been an old February/undisclosed test. After the test, some people swore they saw all/most of their experimental questions before, even saying they did them "last night." Jeffort explained that if it was an old test (which I think it was because of the old 1 page games format) then a lot of the questions from the experimental sections from when that test was originally administered may have eventually made it to scored sections (and into preptest booklets) of more recent tests. I was thinking that must have been what happened why the guys were able to so vividly recall seeing their experimental questions before. In summary, they did the questions on a more recent preptest, then LSAC went back in time to give us the old test from which those questions were originally part of the experimental sections.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 pm

So the question is- does anyone remember which section it was?

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:08 pm

gobosox wrote:So the question is- does anyone remember which section it was?

At least two of the games in my experimental LG section had already been included in a former test.

heyman86us

Postby heyman86us » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:12 pm

facile princeps wrote:
jmart154 wrote:
facile princeps wrote:
Jeffort wrote:There is a simple reason that probably explains why people have reported having questions in the experimental section they had seen before on recently released tests, that the scored sections felt like the style of slightly older tests and that the LGs were printed one per page instead of the new 2 pages per game format.

wtf?

I did the 'make-up' test on the 16th because my test center was closed due to a snow storm in the north east. I figured LSAC had to give us a different test from the one that was administered on the 9th, and I suspected that it would have been an old February/undisclosed test. After the test, some people swore they saw all/most of their experimental questions before, even saying they did them "last night." Jeffort explained that if it was an old test (which I think it was because of the old 1 page games format) then a lot of the questions from the experimental sections from when that test was originally administered may have eventually made it to scored sections (and into preptest booklets) of more recent tests. I was thinking that must have been what happened why the guys were able to so vividly recall seeing their experimental questions before. In summary, they did the questions on a more recent preptest, then LSAC went back in time to give us the old test from which those questions were originally part of the experimental sections.

So, every question that people thought and believed that they have done before while taking the Feb 2013 make-up test is in their experimental section, right?

Of course people have done those questions before that day so they remembered the specific questions and answer choices.

Not a single question in the scored sections of the Feb 2013 make-up test is something that you or other people have done before, right?

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:56 pm

gobosox wrote:So the question is- does anyone remember which section it was?

At my center it seemed to be the 3rd section and not everyone had the same experimental type (as in RC, LG, or LR). At least 2 people were 100% sure they had done a couple of the games before on preptests. Another guy had 2 RC sections and he immediately dismissed one of them as the experimental because he remembered practicing with the passages. I didn't hear anyone say anything about LR.

heyman86us wrote:So, every question that people thought and believed that they have done before while taking the Feb 2013 make-up test is in their experimental section, right?

Of course people have done those questions before that day so they remembered the specific questions and answer choices.

Not a single question in the scored sections of the Feb 2013 make-up test is something that you or other people have done before, right?

As I said above, I heard people talking and at least 3 of them were sure they had seen a game or passage of some sort before, and they all agreed it was in their respective experimental sections. Something like this.

I didn't remember seeing any of my questions before. So it wasn't my experience.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:19 pm

I think the section I got was the third one as well. Or at least, I hope so, since I thought the first and fourth sections were remarkably easy...

dusters

Postby dusters » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 am

Puppy and boobs, we all win
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:10 am

The days crawl by...

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:21 am

Two weeks left

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:35 am

The wait is agonizing... What makes it worse is I can't find solace in which my experimental section was.... Would make a huge difference in my score. Can only hope for the best now.

OliveBC

Postby OliveBC » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 am

scotth724 wrote:Two weeks left

I mean it's Tuesday, which is basically Wednesday, and by Wednesday the week is practically over. So really it's only like 1 week. Plus they might come early so we really don't have that much longer!

This non-logic is how I am keeping myself sane :D

Eberry

Postby Eberry » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:07 pm

dusters wrote:--ImageRemoved--

That girl on the right...gaud damn, brother.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”