March 11
1%
March 12 and/or Beyond
12%

Total votes: 191

Eli

Re: Feb Waiters: is TODAY the DAY? [New Poll]

Postby Eli » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Checking in. 174, up from 169 in December. Not quite what I was dreaming for, but I'll take it any day!! Congrats to everyone who's happy with their score (and total respect for everyone who's not but is smiling through the pain...) At the very least, we all made it!

And good for you, Sgttpc! It's a real accomplishment to make the transition you're making.

Best wishes, all!

bogydog

Postby bogydog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:52 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
bogydog wrote:Yeah studying during school is tough! If I can't take the LSAT while abroad though, maybe it would be worth it to slack off in my classes and let my GPA drop to a 3.8 or 3.9?? Though it would be embarrassing considering how easy they are...I don't go to a super competitive school.

But any feedback? Do you guys think 3 weeks of really hard core, 8 hours a day prep be enough to bump me from a 164 into the 170's? I've always been in the top 1% of standardized tests in the past...What other option do I have if I go abroad, short of paying to fly back to the U.S. just to take the test later?

They have test centers in almost every country. Also a 170+ would get you into places like U Chicago, which would be pure gold for Wisconsin.

Also can you really not spare any extra time from your admittedly easy classes to prep gradually instead of just cramming at the end?

Thanks, I will look into those test centers... it would probably be a little stressful testing in another country, but if it's an option that would be perfect because it would give me tons of time to study.

Chicago would be pretty cool actually, I'll have to think about that... I'd probably be half-tempted to go back to undergrad and major in economics if I went there though haha

Well, I don't feel like I have any free time with classes and track practices/meets and working, but the fact that I have time to be on this forum now shows that I could probably squeeze in a little time! Even like 2 hours a week is something I guess.

bogydog

Postby bogydog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:53 pm

congrats to Eli, Christopher, and Jack :)

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:55 pm

bogydog wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
bogydog wrote:Yeah studying during school is tough! If I can't take the LSAT while abroad though, maybe it would be worth it to slack off in my classes and let my GPA drop to a 3.8 or 3.9?? Though it would be embarrassing considering how easy they are...I don't go to a super competitive school.

But any feedback? Do you guys think 3 weeks of really hard core, 8 hours a day prep be enough to bump me from a 164 into the 170's? I've always been in the top 1% of standardized tests in the past...What other option do I have if I go abroad, short of paying to fly back to the U.S. just to take the test later?

They have test centers in almost every country. Also a 170+ would get you into places like U Chicago, which would be pure gold for Wisconsin.

Also can you really not spare any extra time from your admittedly easy classes to prep gradually instead of just cramming at the end?

Thanks, I will look into those test centers... it would probably be a little stressful testing in another country, but if it's an option that would be perfect because it would give me tons of time to study.

Chicago would be pretty cool actually, I'll have to think about that... I'd probably be half-tempted to go back to undergrad and major in economics if I went there though haha

Well, I don't feel like I have any free time with classes and track practices/meets and working, but the fact that I have time to be on this forum now shows that I could probably squeeze in a little time! Even like 2 hours a week is something I guess.

That is a lot actually, makes more sense now. And yeah I'd definitely wait and retake when you have had adequate time to prepare. There are tons of excellent guides to prepping in the LSAT forum. Also here is the list of places you can take the LSAT around the world.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/testcentercodesoutsideuscaribbeancanada.pdf

Good luck man! I'm confident that you are capable of 170+ and going to a great school, don't limit yourself!

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:07 pm

My first PT was a 145. I just received a 168 and that was on the lower end of my range.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 pm

jvincent11 wrote:My first PT was a 145. I just received a 168 and that was on the lower end of my range.

That's a sick jump. Kudos.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Eli wrote:Checking in. 174, up from 169 in December. Not quite what I was dreaming for, but I'll take it any day!! Congrats to everyone who's happy with their score (and total respect for everyone who's not but is smiling through the pain...) At the very least, we all made it!

And good for you, Sgttpc! It's a real accomplishment to make the transition you're making.

Best wishes, all!

Man, how did you do it?

Where was your greatest improvement? If it was RC you gotta teach me. Please.

bogydog

Postby bogydog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Hey thanks for that list! It pretty much just rules out Spain and Peru for going abroad, the other Spanish speaking countries have either an October or December test date, which is great news! I wasn't aware it was offered abroad at all.

Thanks for the encouragement too. I've always been an underachiever, not sure if I'm just lazy or not confident enough or what, but anyway, if studying more means getting a significantly better scholarship/career I guess I'll have to change that :D

This is kind of goofy, and maybe it shows that being a lawyer will be a decent career for me, but I'm actually kind of looking forward to the studying...the logic games and even logical reasoning are actually pretty fun compared to school homework. The RC will be a struggle though for sure...

Eli

Postby Eli » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm

roranoa wrote:
Eli wrote:Checking in. 174, up from 169 in December. Not quite what I was dreaming for, but I'll take it any day!! Congrats to everyone who's happy with their score (and total respect for everyone who's not but is smiling through the pain...) At the very least, we all made it!

Best wishes, all!

Man, how did you do it?

I actually took all the recent (after 20) PTs, and that helped a lot. Didn't really improve much on RC, but it is very helpful to sit down and do nothing but RC back to back to back. I really dreaded it but by the end, I felt a lot better. Same with LRs, which were my weakest. After a while I could sense when an answer just didn't quite fit.. I could tell on tough questions when I had the right answer, no doubt, and when I didn't have that feeling, I went over the question until I did. That holds for all sections, even RC. If you can't back up your answer choice with sure fire proof, go over it until you can. The more you drill, the easier it will be, I promise. And don't get too worked up about it - pretty sure my alert-but-relaxed attitude on test day made time slow down. Felt like I had 10 extra minutes.. It was awesome:) good luck!

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Eli wrote:
roranoa wrote:

Best wishes, all!

Man, how did you do it?

I actually took all the recent (after 20) PTs, and that helped a lot. Didn't really improve much on RC, but it is very helpful to sit down and do nothing but RC back to back to back. I really dreaded it but by the end, I felt a lot better. Same with LRs, which were my weakest. After a while I could sense when an answer just didn't quite fit.. I could tell on tough questions when I had the right answer, no doubt, and when I didn't have that feeling, I went over the question until I did. That holds for all sections, even RC. If you can't back up your answer choice with sure fire proof, go over it until you can. The more you drill, the easier it will be, I promise. And don't get too worked up about it - pretty sure my alert-but-relaxed attitude on test day made time slow down. Felt like I had 10 extra minutes.. It was awesome:) good luck!

How long did you study for the retake? How many hours a day?

Eli

Postby Eli » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 pm

roranoa wrote:
Eli wrote:
roranoa wrote:

Best wishes, all!

Man, how did you do it?

How long did you study for the retake? How many hours a day?[

Personally? Maybe average 6 hours, counting days I skipped studying. But that's because I felt like I needed it. It's probably different for everyone. PM me if you want to know anything else:)

..sorry for not deleting the extra quotes. Wowza, that's a mess.

ProfessorFrink

Postby ProfessorFrink » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:56 pm

I gotta question. I got my February score back, but it is wildly low. Not only is it lower than my usual PTs, but lower than even my first ever diagnostic by quite a few points. I'm not sure if I choked that badly; I recall not getting to a couple LG questions that I normally would. Even accounting for that though, I don't think there should be that big of a difference. Should I request a re-score or are the chances of them screwing up pretty slim? Or maybe I miss-bubbled?

MS415

Postby MS415 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Congrats to all who got their desired scores. Im one of the unfortunate ones. I was PTing at 162-168 before test and my actual feb score is 152. Kinda depressed. Been lurking on this waiting thread for a while, never posted. If you wanna pay forward your good score, give me some advice and/or atleast words of wisdom. Thanks

ProfessorFrink

Postby ProfessorFrink » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Wormfather wrote:
ProfessorFrink wrote:I gotta question. I got my February score back, but it is wildly low. Not only is it lower than my usual PTs, but lower than even my first ever diagnostic by quite a few points. I'm not sure if I choked that badly; I recall not getting to a couple LG questions that I normally would. Even accounting for that though, I don't think there should be that big of a difference. Should I request a re-score or are the chances of them screwing up pretty slim? Or maybe I miss-bubbled?

Totes get a handscoring, what will it hurt?

Well, it costs 40 something bucks and I'm not sure if they account for user error like miss-bubbling. Does anyone know?

BrianG

Postby BrianG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:03 am

Wormfather wrote:
ProfessorFrink wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
ProfessorFrink wrote:I gotta question. I got my February score back, but it is wildly low. Not only is it lower than my usual PTs, but lower than even my first ever diagnostic by quite a few points. I'm not sure if I choked that badly; I recall not getting to a couple LG questions that I normally would. Even accounting for that though, I don't think there should be that big of a difference. Should I request a re-score or are the chances of them screwing up pretty slim? Or maybe I miss-bubbled?

Totes get a handscoring, what will it hurt?

Well, it costs 40 something bucks and I'm not sure if they account for user error like miss-bubbling. Does anyone know?

Yes they will check for misbubbling. If you have like 5+ questions in a row where if you moved them up or down one spot, they will fix that for you. You still get a point off for the first one IIRC.

If you do get it re-scored, could you let us know how it worked out for you? I also scored quite a bit lower than my average PT. Not wildly lower, but significantly anyway. But I don't know, it seems like that's happened to quite a number of people.

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:27 am

Seems like it was definitely a pretty harsh curve. I scored 168, though given how I felt after and my PT average (172 or so) I didn't think it was that out of the ordinary. I'm not happy, but I am pumped about retaking and things could be worse. Def would have liked to do better in light of my gpa though. Congrats to everyone who did well!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:47 am

ws81086n wrote:Seems like it was definitely a pretty harsh curve. I scored 168, though given how I felt after and my PT average (172 or so) I didn't think it was that out of the ordinary. I'm not happy, but I am pumped about retaking and things could be worse. Def would have liked to do better in light of my gpa though. Congrats to everyone who did well!

Awesome attitude, there are worse things than a retake.

CristopherG

Postby CristopherG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 am

ws81086n wrote:Seems like it was definitely a pretty harsh curve. I scored 168, though given how I felt after and my PT average (172 or so) I didn't think it was that out of the ordinary. I'm not happy, but I am pumped about retaking and things could be worse. Def would have liked to do better in light of my gpa though. Congrats to everyone who did well!

My guess is still around -10 or -11, to be honest.

jmart154

Postby jmart154 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 am

Any educated guesses as to what the curve was? ;)

My own guess would be -9 or -10

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:50 am

I would say -9 or -10. It was a pretty easy test. Really hating this non-disclosed thing right now.

jmart154

Postby jmart154 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:53 am

Agreed. Not knowing where you lost your points is frustrating.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:55 am

-10;-11

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:56 am

OP! Change the poll to a results poll

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:56 am

Do you think you missed a certain number of questions that falls within the range for your score, or is that just what you've thought all along?

MS415

Postby MS415 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 am

MS415 wrote:Congrats to all who got their desired scores. Im one of the unfortunate ones. I was PTing at 162-168 before test and my actual feb score is 152. Kinda depressed. Been lurking on this waiting thread for a while, never posted. If you wanna pay forward your good score, give me some advice and/or atleast words of wisdom. Thanks

I dont know what happened. I guess knowing its the real thibg and not having enough sleep the night before. But I'll keep my eye on the prize in June.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”