Blizzard this weekend

NTZ

Blizzard this weekend

Postby NTZ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:03 pm

There is supposed to be a blizzard in parts of New England on Friday and Saturday. Is this likely to cause LSAC to reschedule Saturday's exam for those in the area?

Jeffort

Re: Blizzard this weekend

Postby Jeffort » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:26 pm

NTZ wrote:There is supposed to be a blizzard in parts of New England on Friday and Saturday. Is this likely to cause LSAC to reschedule Saturday's exam for those in the area?

It might if the blizzard is bad enough and closes travel routes/transportation options in the area. When horribly bad climate has effectively shut down towns in the past there have been a few instances when LSAC re-scheduled the test for people registered to take it in the area, but only when the weather was super bad so as to make it impossible or very dangerous to leave home or travel anywhere in the area, and/or when the power is knocked out in the region.

Stay prepared and expecting to take the test as scheduled on Saturday. If you don't have to risk your life or need an emergency rescue helicopter to get to the test center and the electricity is still on in the area, get to the test center on time to take the test. If the climate starts looking really bad by Friday, call and email LSAC before end of their Friday business hours and ask them what they are going to do so you can plan accordingly.

Hope the storm mellows out and you get to take the test without any major weather trouble (or not if you want another week or two of practice time before you take the test!). Good luck and stay warm.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:12 am

If the tomorrow's weather forecast predicts a blizzard for tomorrow / Saturday, LSAC will likely cancel the administration for test centers they expect to be affected. Then, they'll send out an email to the affected test-takers about a make-up.

This happened back in December 2009 and February 2010. Here's what they posted on their website, and what they sent out:

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/te ... -lsat.html

But, yes, I agree with Jeffort - until you hear anything, prepare as if it's on for Saturday, of course.

dusters

Postby dusters » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:21 am

LSAT Blog wrote:If the tomorrow's weather forecast predicts a blizzard for tomorrow / Saturday, LSAC will likely cancel the administration for test centers they expect to be affected. Then, they'll send out an email to the affected test-takers about a make-up.

This happened back in December 2009 and February 2010. Here's what they posted on their website, and what they sent out:

But, yes, I agree with Jeffort - until you hear anything, prepare as if it's on for Saturday, of course.

Not in the area but just interested. They would give a different test than the ones administered on Saturday right? Is this the reason hey don't release February tests so they can make test in a hurry if need be?

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 am

Oh no! I really, really, really hope they do not move the test :(

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:26 am

dusters wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:If the tomorrow's weather forecast predicts a blizzard for tomorrow / Saturday, LSAC will likely cancel the administration for test centers they expect to be affected. Then, they'll send out an email to the affected test-takers about a make-up.

Not in the area but just interested. They would give a different test than the ones administered on Saturday right? Is this the reason hey don't release February tests so they can make test in a hurry if need be?

Yes, it would be a different test. And LSAC has confirmed that they don't release February LSATs due to emergencies.

As of now, it looks like Boston's going to get hit pretty badly. Hoping the storm changes course.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:32 am

LSAT Blog wrote:
dusters wrote:

Yes, it would be a different test. And LSAC has confirmed that they don't release February LSATs due to emergencies.

As of now, it looks like Boston's going to get hit pretty badly. Hoping the storm changes course.

How far after the originally scheduled test dates have re-scheduled tests generally been held?

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Forecast: 24 inches of snow, 65 mph gusts.

Snow will be heaviest from 9 p.m. Friday until about 9 a.m. Saturday.

Test begins at 8:30 on Saturday.

I am not amused...

mg7

Postby mg7 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:05 pm

The weather really seems to enjoy trolling LSAC this year

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:41 pm

As a weather nerd myself (even my username is related from when I was a little kid and wanted to be a meteorologist), I'll say IMO there's no chance that anyone in the Northeast has this test on Saturday. There's talk among the weather community people that this could be the largest storm in decades, and the computer models are only trending towards bigger and bigger...

samplekid

Postby samplekid » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Yeah so taking the LSAT this Saturday (or maybe not) and I'm wondering when they would make an announcement on the status of the test. I'm in Boston and would be taking it at Northeastern so I'm pretty concerned. I wouldn't mind another week or two of prep but would really prefer to just get this over with.

Anyone have prior experience with a cancellation for snow or weather and know how long before potential test time the announcement would be made?

Thanks

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:50 pm

samplekid wrote:Yeah so taking the LSAT this Saturday (or maybe not) and I'm wondering when they would make an announcement on the status of the test. I'm in Boston and would be taking it at Northeastern so I'm pretty concerned. I wouldn't mind another week or two of prep but would really prefer to just get this over with.

Anyone have prior experience with a cancellation for snow or weather and know how long before potential test time the announcement would be made?

Thanks

I would like to know this as well (also in the Northeast). I'm really hoping this storm is just being overblown in the media! I really, really want to take this test on Saturday and get it over with.

I'm guessing LSAC would prefer not to move the test date it they don't have to, right?

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:41 pm

chickpea wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:
dusters wrote:

How far after the originally scheduled test dates have re-scheduled tests generally been held?

1-3 weeks after the original date, from what I've seen. Depends on when they can rebook the test centers. It all comes down to logistics. I don't envy their position - that's a lot of planning!

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Just got an email from LSAC saying that they have posted test center closings on their website now (I don't see it yet, though, maybe it'll be a few minutes). They also said that they will post their next update tomorrow morning and further updates throughout the day tomorrow.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Here is the link of the page with closings:
http://www.lsac.org/jd/announcements-an ... sp#weather

Stay safe and good luck.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:05 pm

NYstate wrote:Here is the link of the page with closings:
http://www.lsac.org/jd/announcements-an ... sp#weather

Stay safe and good luck.

Looks like the list is up now. So a bunch of the testing centers in my state are going to be closed on Saturday but my testing center (just a mile or so from the other ones that are closed) is not. I'm totally happy with this but I'm just wondering if this is something that could change at some point? Anyone have any insight?

opie045

Postby opie045 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 am

LSAC (the LSAT) ‏@Official_LSAT
We have started posting test center closures for the Northeast for Saturday's test on http://LSAC.org . Next update-Friday a.m.

https://twitter.com/Official_LSAT

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:19 am

LSAC (the LSAT) ‏@Official_LSAT just tweeted:

We will post more test center closures within the hour and all day. Closed sites in CAN are included. We will email make-up info next week.

samplekid

Postby samplekid » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:13 am

Well Northeastern University just made the closings list. Relieved to at least have the uncertainty taken off my back. Kinda sucks to have to anticipate the test more but I suppose one week (at minimum) of extra prep will only help me.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:15 am

samplekid wrote:Well Northeastern University just made the closings list. Relieved to at least have the uncertainty taken off my back. Kinda sucks to have to anticipate the test more but I suppose one week (at minimum) of extra prep will only help me.

Agreed. Do you think we'll only have to wait a week?

dusters

Postby dusters » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Will this have a difference on score release at all? Will they still try to release them all on the same day or have two different release dates.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:23 pm

dusters wrote:Will this have a difference on score release at all? Will they still try to release them all on the same day or have two different release dates.

I called the office and they said they'll try their best to release our scores on the same day as the other Feb test takers but that our scores could be delayed by a couple of days. I guess that's not so bad.

bre.kidman

Postby bre.kidman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:59 pm

So unbelievably pissed. I'm at work in Portland today. I've reached the point of diminishing returns with studying. I was SO READY for this to be overrrrrrrr.

How are y'all going to cope with the next week? How do we stay sharp when we're already at burnout point? Anyone got a plan to share?

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:10 pm

bre.kidman wrote:So unbelievably pissed. I'm at work in Portland today. I've reached the point of diminishing returns with studying. I was SO READY for this to be overrrrrrrr.

How are y'all going to cope with the next week? How do we stay sharp when we're already at burnout point? Anyone got a plan to share?

Mine still hasn't made the list... But I'm a mile away from other schools who have and the physical campus is closed on Saturday, so I'm assuming it's just a matter of time.

I'm taking the whole weekend off. I'm waiting until tuesday to look at LSAT again, because I was doing so well and I need to take the extra time. An extra week will likely be good for me, even though I just want it to be over with.

Stay warm, stay safe, don't drive. Snow's already starting to fall pretty hard in the city...

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:56 pm

bre.kidman wrote:So unbelievably pissed. I'm at work in Portland today. I've reached the point of diminishing returns with studying. I was SO READY for this to be overrrrrrrr.

I feel your pain. This sucks for so many people. We're in the 21st century - why can't we prevent weather disasters yet?

If you're burnt out, rest. Then take a couple of timed PTs each week until your test (not on consecutive days).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”