Feb LSAT takers in East Asia

heythatslife

Feb LSAT takers in East Asia

Postby heythatslife » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:30 am

I'm taking the LSAT on the 17th this month in Seoul. Has anyone ever taken the test at the Yonsei University location? I visited the school last week with a friend who's a current student, just to make sure I know where the building is. I'm still curious as to what I should expect on the day and whether they do a fair job of administering the test.

I've titled the thread to include other East Asian locations as I'm under the impression that people in similar time zones will be given the same sets of sections. After the test, I guess we can all convene here and try to figure out which was the dummy section?

jdnumbersgame

Re: Feb LSAT takers in East Asia

Postby jdnumbersgame » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:49 am

I took the test in Asia today too.
I had LG-LR-RC-RC-LR.

Really hoping the first RC section was experimental.

Did you guys have a passage about the louvre or cottonwood beetles/plants in RC?

I thought the test wasn't unusually hard.

What do you guys think the curve will be like?

Thoughts? / Comments?

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:25 am

jdnumbersgame wrote:I took the test in Asia today too.
I had LG-LR-RC-RC-LR.

Really hoping the first RC section was experimental.

Did you guys have a passage about the louvre or cottonwood beetles/plants in RC?

I thought the test wasn't unusually hard.

What do you guys think the curve will be like?

Thoughts? / Comments?

I had the exact same order.

LG was ok. Not hard. Not easy.

LR was ok. The later one was rather hard. Maybe it was fatige.

RC was both rather confusing.

But I found the Beetle passage quite straightforward. the A/B passages were hard for me.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:02 am

I was going to bump this thread up, but you guys got to it first!

I had LR-LG-LR-LR-RC.

Had cottonwood & Louvre passages, so you know that section was the real McCoy.

Something tells me that my third LR section was one of the real one. It's also the one that I screwed up on. Won't be canceling, though, as LG is usually my weakest section but today I feel I did rather well.

Do we get our scores on the same day as everyone else who took the test last week in CONUS?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:08 am

roranoa wrote:

Was the second LR a 26-question section with long, time-consuming questions bunched up toward the end? I was on track with my timing until around Q15 on the last of my 3 LR sections, then suddenly things got harder and I panicked. Had to flat-out guess the last two. It kinda came as a shock, because I almost always finish LR sections with at least 1-2 minutes to spare.

jdnumbersgame

Postby jdnumbersgame » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:23 am

heythatslife wrote:I was going to bump this thread up, but you guys got to it first!

I had LR-LG-LR-LR-RC.

Had cottonwood & Louvre passages, so you know that section was the real McCoy.

Something tells me that my third LR section was one of the real one. It's also the one that I screwed up on. Won't be canceling, though, as LG is usually my weakest section but today I feel I did rather well.

Do we get our scores on the same day as everyone else who took the test last week in CONUS?

Thank god for RC! The experimental section was just brutal!

We do indeed get our scores on the same day or so I've heard.

jdnumbersgame

Postby jdnumbersgame » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:27 am

heythatslife wrote:
roranoa wrote:

Was the second LR a 26-question section with long, time-consuming questions bunched up toward the end? I was on track with my timing until around Q15 on the last of my 3 LR sections, then suddenly things got harder and I panicked. Had to flat-out guess the last two. It kinda came as a shock, because I almost always finish LR sections with at least 1-2 minutes to spare.

I only had two LR sections. My first one had 25 questions and the second section was the one you're describing. It had 26 questions and a bunch of long, time consuming sections at the end. I couldn't finish this section either and I'm good at LR too. So, I'm in the same boat as you. I too was making good timing until Q15, and that's when everything went downhill. So, samesies.

jdnumbersgame

Postby jdnumbersgame » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:31 am

Do you guys think we'll have the same curve as the American test-takers?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:17 am

jdnumbersgame wrote:Do you guys think we'll have the same curve as the American test-takers?

I don't think so. Different test = differerent curve.

From what I've heard, the test material at overseas locations are often rehashes of previous undisclosed tests (such as older February tests administered in the US).

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:51 pm

heythatslife wrote:
jdnumbersgame wrote:Do you guys think we'll have the same curve as the American test-takers?

I don't think so. Different test = differerent curve.

From what I've heard, the test material at overseas locations are often rehashes of previous undisclosed tests (such as older February tests administered in the US).

This is true vice versa.

I took the test in 2011 Dec in Asia and realized the US test takers got the exact same Game questions on the 2012 Dec test (pt68)

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:20 pm

wasn't able to finish the A/B passages. they weren't exactly hard, but thought the a few of the questions are hard.

damn that i screwed the whole test in the last five minutes. :x

ghostowl

Postby ghostowl » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:22 am

WOW the RC sections kicked my butt so hard.

For me, it was LR, LG, LR, LR, RC

I did fairly well on the first LR, had like 1 minute left over. LG I couldn't answer the last 2 questions, so probably missed 2 out of LG section. The next LR section, I ran outta time, and had to guess on like 2 questions. The next LR section, same thing happened. Then, the RC section just kicked me so hard. I don't know if it was fatique or whatnot, after going through 4 sections...but then again I majorly suck at RC so it was no surprise. Even when I don't do well on RC sections during practice exams, I manage to finish 3 passages and run outta time during the 4th. But this test, I could only manage to finish 2 passages and the questions for passages I DID manage to finish, I felt were really hard and I probably answered them inaccurately.

Assuming I missed -8/-9 on RC alone, and probably missed -2 on LG, and probably missed about combined -4 to -6 on LR sections, there is no chance for me to get 170 right? Or anything above 165?

Can someone let me know soon? I'm probably gonna cancel it

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:17 pm

ghostowl wrote:WOW the RC sections kicked my butt so hard.

I did fairly well on the first LR, had like 1 minute left over. LG I couldn't answer the last 2 questions, so probably missed 2 out of LG section. The next LR section, I ran outta time, and had to guess on like 2 questions. The next LR section, same thing happened. Then, the RC section just kicked me so hard. I don't know if it was fatique or whatnot, after going through 4 sections...but then again I majorly suck at RC so it was no surprise. Even when I don't do well on RC sections during practice exams, I manage to finish 3 passages and run outta time during the 4th. But this test, I could only manage to finish 2 passages and the questions for passages I DID manage to finish, I felt were really hard and I probably answered them inaccurately.

Assuming I missed -8/-9 on RC alone, and probably missed -2 on LG, and probably missed about combined -4 to -6 on LR sections, there is no chance for me to get 170 right? Or anything above 165?

Did your RC have a science passage with trees and beetles? (I can say this much right?)

jdnumbersgame

Postby jdnumbersgame » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 am

If we assume you missed -8 on RC, -2 on LG and -4 on LR that's a combined total of -14. And, based on the curves of the few released February LSAT's that are out there, a -14 curve might be able to get you a 170.

ghostowl

Postby ghostowl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:00 am

roranoa wrote:

Did your RC have a science passage with trees and beetles? (I can say this much right?)

Yes it did. I hated it so much.

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:20 am

jdnumbersgame wrote:
If we assume you missed -8 on RC, -2 on LG and -4 on LR that's a combined total of -14. And, based on the curves of the few released February LSAT's that are out there, a -14 curve might be able to get you a 170.

The few released Feb tests are back in 90s, when curves are lenient.

based on the difficulty of this test, i would guess a -10 curve, -11 at most :cry:

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 am

omegaomega wrote:based on the difficulty of this test, i would guess a -10 curve, -11 at most :cry:

I concur. The second LR section was tough but overall I don't think it was a brute of a test either (and by that I mean something like PT 27 with its -16 curve). If I had to bet, I would say somewhere near -10. But we'll never know, right?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 am

BTW, been hearing stories about how the lights went off in the middle of the test in one of the rooms at the Seoul testing center. Ouch. Can anyone confirm?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”