Perfecting Reading Comp Tips Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SecondWind

Bronze

Re: Perfecting Reading Comp Tips

Post by SecondWind » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Tag! Trying it out here in a couple weeks and I'll give you feedback.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:58 am

stray

Bronze

Post by stray » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:22 am

sublime wrote:
ColumbiaBigLaw wrote:Honestly think that this type of method is extremely helpful if you have like 2-3 months and you can read at least an hour or two a day (so yeah there is a commitment but its probably much less for people who have a decent reading foundation). I know a lot of people say that its hard to really improve RC and sometimes reading articles from things like the Economist isnt worth it but I think its worth a try. Personally, I literally never read for pleasure - AT ALL. The only time I read anything in print is for school, so my RC is pretty damn poor I'll say (even in HS sparknoted the fudge out of the classics). But last year I pledged to read a shitload of economist/wall street journal articles and tried reading it in a manner that I would read LSAT passages (authors point, viewpoints and all that BS) and within a few weeks to a month you REALLY do notice a significant difference. I was actually pretty shocked. After about a month and a half I stopped cause I'm a lazy idiot, but going to pick it up again until a DEC test. So if you guys are actually behind in RC, JUST TRY IT. If you are in undergrad your school def has subscriptions online, so take a look. If you are as bad as me, dont get discouraged if you fail to retain a lot of the information at first, but if you keep at it, it will get better. I especially like this because OP put up an actual process to the learning, so you aren't just reading but have a tangible method to follow. I feel like some of the test prep companies would be well advised to include this type of method when teaching RC because I do think its often overlooked. Personally I used the Manhattan RC book and its gives a good foundation for how to attack passages and question and now I'm just going to use this method for the next few months.
1) Wall of text

2) WSJ? Comeon......

3) I may try it, but anytime I am reading an Economist article, I feel like that time would be better spent drilling RC passages.

1) No ones forcing you to read it, just trying to help.
2)What is wrong with WSJ?
3) Also, this is, I will say, mainly for people who need/want to do more than the RC material and probably are further behind than others in RC.

SecondWind

Bronze

Post by SecondWind » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:30 pm

ColumbiaBigLaw wrote:
sublime wrote:
ColumbiaBigLaw wrote:Honestly think that this type of method is extremely helpful if you have like 2-3 months and you can read at least an hour or two a day (so yeah there is a commitment but its probably much less for people who have a decent reading foundation). I know a lot of people say that its hard to really improve RC and sometimes reading articles from things like the Economist isnt worth it but I think its worth a try. Personally, I literally never read for pleasure - AT ALL. The only time I read anything in print is for school, so my RC is pretty damn poor I'll say (even in HS sparknoted the fudge out of the classics). But last year I pledged to read a shitload of economist/wall street journal articles and tried reading it in a manner that I would read LSAT passages (authors point, viewpoints and all that BS) and within a few weeks to a month you REALLY do notice a significant difference. I was actually pretty shocked. After about a month and a half I stopped cause I'm a lazy idiot, but going to pick it up again until a DEC test. So if you guys are actually behind in RC, JUST TRY IT. If you are in undergrad your school def has subscriptions online, so take a look. If you are as bad as me, dont get discouraged if you fail to retain a lot of the information at first, but if you keep at it, it will get better. I especially like this because OP put up an actual process to the learning, so you aren't just reading but have a tangible method to follow. I feel like some of the test prep companies would be well advised to include this type of method when teaching RC because I do think its often overlooked. Personally I used the Manhattan RC book and its gives a good foundation for how to attack passages and question and now I'm just going to use this method for the next few months.
1) Wall of text

2) WSJ? Comeon......

3) I may try it, but anytime I am reading an Economist article, I feel like that time would be better spent drilling RC passages.

3) Also, this is, I will say, mainly for people who need/want to do more than the RC material and probably are further behind than others in RC.
I agree with him on the WSJ. The WSJ is intended to be swiftly and easily read (supposedly written at an 8th grade level). Business is all about brevity. I wouldn't necessarily say the WSJ is "dumbed down", but I would argue it's more simplified to accomplish the goals of brevity and readability. This is not what the authors of the LSAT have in mind when they choose which passages to use for the exam. The Economist (definitely has had articles appear as passages) or Scientific American (not sure on this one) are more similar to what you will find on the LSAT than the WJS.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:26 pm

SecondWind wrote:
ColumbiaBigLaw wrote:
sublime wrote:
1) Wall of text

2) WSJ? Comeon......

I agree with him on the WSJ. The WSJ is intended to be swiftly and easily read (supposedly written at an 8th grade level). Business is all about brevity. I wouldn't necessarily say the WSJ is "dumbed down", but I would argue it's more simplified to accomplish the goals of brevity and readability. This is not what the authors of the LSAT have in mind when they choose which passages to use for the exam. The Economist (definitely has had articles appear as passages) or Scientific American (not sure on this one) are more similar to what you will find on the LSAT than the WJS.

this

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stray

Bronze

Post by stray » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 pm

What do you guys think of magazines like the Atlantic? I like the structure, but the material is kind of enjoyable, so I dont know if it is best to to stay away from that.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:42 pm

ColumbiaBigLaw wrote:What do you guys think of magazines like the Atlantic? I like the structure, but the material is kind of enjoyable, so I dont know if it is best to to stay away from that.
for me personally the economist has been a life saver. but above all else i was reading the actual magazine and not online. my results were shit when i was reading online. you're not taking the test online? so whats the point of reading the fucking thing online.

btw to people who get limited 5 articles for a week, just clear your browsing history. if you have sensitive shit (lol), then install another browser and do it over and over again to print out economist articles.

Shamatha1

New

Post by Shamatha1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:38 am

Tag

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:53 am

ColumbiaBigLaw wrote:What do you guys think of magazines like the Atlantic? I like the structure, but the material is kind of enjoyable, so I dont know if it is best to to stay away from that.
While I do find the Atlantic to be interesting, I think that Smithsonian might be a better choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:46 pm

NY Review of Books ftw. I really recommend it.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:08 pm

promising. tag.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:38 am

bump for OCT and DEC lsat test takers

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:58 am

This might help: http://www.academicjournals.org/journal ... _Education

(googled this, if your still in undergrad (like I am) its probably better to pick one up from a professor.)

I Never really gave it a try for the LSAT. But I went through a phase last year where I read academic journals for a couple months and I think it helped me with my RC game.

Academic articles have a different structure than LSAT passages, but they are extremely dense. I imagine if one read academic journals for a three months stretch, with a dictionary near by, their verbal skills would increase a bit.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:48 am

RobertGolddust wrote:This might help: http://www.academicjournals.org/journal ... _Education

(googled this, if your still in undergrad (like I am) its probably better to pick one up from a professor.)

I Never really gave it a try for the LSAT. But I went through a phase last year where I read academic journals for a couple months and I think it helped me with my RC game.

Academic articles have a different structure than LSAT passages, but they are extremely dense. I imagine if one read academic journals for a three months stretch, with a dictionary near by, their verbal skills would increase a bit.
Thanks Robert!

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:15 am

Tag

casparks

New

Post by casparks » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:17 pm

Last edited by casparks on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:14 am

Tagskatini

pobsy

New

Post by pobsy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:44 pm

tagging!

John Winger

New

Post by John Winger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Tagging. Can't wait to try it.

pobsy

New

Post by pobsy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:48 pm

crestor wrote:
for me personally the economist has been a life saver. but above all else i was reading the actual magazine and not online. my results were shit when i was reading online. you're not taking the test online? so whats the point of reading the fucking thing online.

btw to people who get limited 5 articles for a week, just clear your browsing history. if you have sensitive shit (lol), then install another browser and do it over and over again to print out economist articles.

HA! thank you SIR!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hotguy

Bronze

Post by Hotguy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:10 pm

crestor wrote:

Exploiting websites/newspaper like a master. I love this new generation of future lawyers.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:33 pm

I pretty much read manhattan LSAT RC book front to back. I started doing full sections as prep from older tests. I was generally going anywhere between -2 to -7(at worst) and very frustrated that there was no magical improvement like LR.

Anyway, I suggest you keep doing full sections, and make sure you do the RCs in the modern tests (60s) before your real exam.

I would try to be done with my first two passages by 15 mins. If I was past this (especially if it was 20 minute mark) I would super skim the following passages. Spend 2.5 mins on reading passage. I only underlined key words related to people shifts (i.e., this critic, this author, these proponents, ect). If you are underlining more, you are wasting time and focus.

I pretty much read for structure to the point where when it came to questions I could pretty much tell where in the passage I could find that answer. You must spend the most of your time on questions.

Anyway, I magically went -0 on RC on the October sitting. HTH.

Ahamilton

New

Post by Ahamilton » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:22 pm

crestor wrote:

isn't this illegal? :\:\

Jayrent

New

Post by Jayrent » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 am

Thanks. Tagging

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”