If You Had 2+ years to study...

wanttolearn

If You Had 2+ years to study...

Postby wanttolearn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:51 am

If you knew you wanted to go to law school, but were taking time off after college to work, how would you study for the LSAT? Would you very slowly go through prep books, making sure you understand the concepts very well/ don't go too quickly? I am in this position and am wondering, since I will have a few months after college before work starts, if I should buy the powerscore bibles and get the basics down. What do you guys think?

amuseboosh

Re: If You Had 2+ years to study...

Postby amuseboosh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:15 am

wanttolearn wrote:I am considering law school in a few years and would like some opinions from you guys. I started college off strong, then had a bit of a snag where I was depressed for a couple years, then finished strong in the final semester, coming back from 3.3 GPAs to a 4.0. Next year I am starting full time work at Goldman Sachs doing investment banking, where I plan to work for a couple of years, and then maybe go to a hedge fund or private equity. Perhaps after Goldman, however, I will want to go to law school. My cumulative GPA will be a 3.6 or so (maybe a bit higher), and I got a 172 on the LSAT.

...i'm assuming you're taking it for a second time?

crestor

Postby crestor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:04 am

why would you leave goldman sachs for law school?

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 am

wanttolearn wrote:If you knew you wanted to go to law school, but were taking time off after college to work, how would you study for the LSAT? Would you very slowly go through prep books, making sure you understand the concepts very well/ don't go too quickly? I am in this position and am wondering, since I will have a few months after college before work starts, if I should buy the powerscore bibles and get the basics down. What do you guys think?

I started studying casually a year out. Any more than that would be crazy, IMO. I think I'm kind of crazy studying for a year. Only about 10 hours a week to start. Really went hardcore studying a few months before the exam, but by then I'd had all the basics down pat.

Don't buy them now though, you'll just be wasting your time and by the time you take the exam they may have updated books anyway.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Step 1: Don't worry about it for at least a year.
Step 2: Come back and ask for advice then.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Just kill the TV for the next year and read a lot.

Justin Genious

Postby Justin Genious » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm

bp shinners wrote:Step 1: Don't worry about it for at least a year.
Step 2: Come back and ask for advice then.

qft

EEguy5

Postby EEguy5 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:17 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Just kill the TV for the next year and read a lot.

THIS. Im kicking myself now that I haven't read enough in the last few years. You will see people recommend news sources like the Economist, wish is great advice. But also read books. Read A LOT of books. Push yourself. If your not reading at all now, read a book a month. If you already read occasionally, read 2 books a month. Hey the average CEO reads between 4-5 books a month if that helps motivate you. The RC consists of passages about science, humanities, social sciences, and law. So try to switch up the subject matter, preferably including some books with these topics. But feel free to pick some books that just seem interesting to you, after all, you have to make sure you can keep with it.

I guarantee it will help you on LR and RC. Not only will it help your speed, but also, and maybe more importantly, it will help your retention. Reading trains your mind to remember the text your reading. Not to mention that you will be an overall more intelligent and well rounded person.

Here's a few recommendations to start with...

http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/readi ... v-wrap-up/

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”