Is this a really bad first diagnostic score? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
barberiolisa

New

Is this a really bad first diagnostic score?

Post by barberiolisa » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Alright, if you do your first LSAT diagnostic (timed) and you get an abysmal score of 145. And (you scored 9 out of 24) on the Games section

And:

1. You are beginning to study now in February, and are planning on taking the LSAT either December 2013 or February 2014 -- which gives you 10 months - 1 year of study and preperation
2. Your willing to devote 25+ hours of down time a week for the next 10 months - 1 year
3. Willing to take a Kaplan class (at least one)
4. Willing to do over 30, 40 practice tests
5. And possibly hiring a tutor

Do you think its at all possible to get to the 165-170 range?

I know they say only 2 percent of people score 170 or higher, but is it possible that the reason for that could be that hardly anyone devotes nearly a year of studying for it?

francesfarmer

Silver

Re: Is this a really bad first diagnostic score?

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Your first mistake is writing in the second person.

Edit: I'm joking. You can definitely bring your score up considerably--no one can tell you what is possible for you.

Also, I've read that Kaplan classes suck.

Suzy_29

New

Post by Suzy_29 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:26 pm

My diagnostic was like a 143 cold, and my final test grade was in the high 160s. It's more than possible, just study like crazy!

Ps. Don't just spam tests, do them in a way that helps you improve. There is no point in making the same mistakes over and over, remember to go back and see which specific types of questions you missed and practise those. Classes generally teach you the basics but are weak when it comes to personal needs.
Last edited by Suzy_29 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nugnoy

Bronze

Post by nugnoy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:26 pm

If you're decently intelligent, it's more than possible, it's likely. Like everyone points out, games is the most systematic section and can be improved with consistent studying. So it's actually better that you did so badly on the games b/c you can improve it more easily than say improving such a score on RC or LR (which requires improving reading habits that's formed over many years).

I think most people here would recommend testmasters/powerscore over kaplan. If you go up to PTs of high 160s, and then hire an effective tutor to focus on your weaknesses, with additional self studying you should get able to break 170s.

This is my opinion:
If you do well on the diag, 165+, it means you're on a good platform.

If you do decently bad on the diag, 140~150s, it doesn't mean much.

If you get 120~130s then there might be a problem with fundamental skills that a person just has to work on.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:29 pm

nugnoy wrote:If you're decently intelligent, it's more than possible, it's likely. Like everyone points out, games is the most systematic section and can be improved with consistent studying. So it's actually better that you did so badly on the games b/c you can improve it more easily than say improving such a score on RC or LR (which requires improving reading habits that's formed over many years).

I think most people here would recommend testmasters/powerscore over kaplan. If you go up to PTs of high 160s, and then hire an effective tutor to focus on your weaknesses, with additional self studying you should get able to break 170s.

This is my opinion:
If you do well on the diag, 165+, it means you're on a good platform.

If you do decently bad on the diag, 140~150s, it doesn't mean much.

If you get 120~130s then there might be a problem with fundamental skills that a person just has to work on.
I want to second the point that you should be glad your worst section was games. My worst section was always reading comprehension and there isn't an easy way to improve that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:32 pm

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:49 pm

It's absolutely possible. In fact, if you follow through with that regimen (minus the Kaplan courses, no courses are necessary or very good, but if you must use Testmasters or one of the other recommended ones on TLS), and you fail to score a 165, that would be pretty sad.

Bottom line: the LSAT is a very learnable test. The biggest advice I would give is study/practice intensely over a decent period of time (3-5 months is sufficient for most people), take a BIG break (I recommend at least a month, up to 4 months) and come back to the test and study again for 3-8 weeks.

Or take the test once, and if you don't get a 169+, take the long break and go back to studying for 3-8 weeks and retake. You would be amazed at how the brain recharges and how much better you will be at the test by taking that long break and then going back into it.

This worked for me anyways. I studied for 5 months, took the test, scored low, then took a 2.5 month hiatus, started studying very lightly for 4 weeks, retook, and scored higher than ever. It's my hypothesis that the more someone studies for a decent period, takes a long break, and repeats, the better they will get, up to a certain point (everyone has a maximum score threshold, but I believe almost anyone can get a 169+).

Hspeaksfriend

New

Post by Hspeaksfriend » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Definitely possible. I went from low 150s to 170s. Don't take kaplan. Take Testmasters... it's way more thorough and worth the money.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 pm

I see students make that jump all the time. Learn a set of methods, apply those methods, practice on a bunch of practice tests. Profit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:21 pm

yes it's possible. A cold diagnostic is a pretty shitty way of seeing your potential in the LSAT since most people don't have the abilities to perform well in logical reasoning and games at the get-go. It's mostly a matter of not knowing LSAT jargon/thinking structure, like what an assumption/inference/premise really is in the LSAT context and also logic game questions can be like greek if you aren't familiar.

Do this: finish powerscore and/or manhattan books on the 3 sections and THEN take a prep test. Count THAT as your "diagnostic" and work on improving from there.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:27 am

rolled a 149 cold diagnostic, scored a 167 4 months later (June 2012) and now am sitting for the test this weekend with PTs averaging around 172-175.

Anything is possible if you commit to it.

grace123

New

Post by grace123 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:33 am

to echo other posters, yes it is possible.

The thing holding you back is probably not going to be raw intelligence, it's going to be hitting a wall with your studying endurance. It's really hard to meet the goals you've set for yourself in terms of your study plan, but if you can find motivation then you should be able to do it.

Also, echo that Kaplan is probably not worth it. I think the best method is just teach yourself the stuff and get a tutor to meet occasionally and fill in holes or take a non-Kaplan class (this is coming from an ex- LSAT Kaplan instructor)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”