Help with beginning my Lsat prep

Mab2013

Help with beginning my Lsat prep

Postby Mab2013 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 pm

So i plan on taking the Lsat in October but Ive already began studying for it. I bought the PS LG Bible and Im half way done with that. I also plan in taking a PS course in April, and the rest of the summer will be for sharpening up my score for the October Lsat. After I finish the LG Bible, should I go ahead and bye the LR Bible and get started on that as well. Im taking the course, but I think all the information will be too much to take because I work as well, so I want to get a head start. Im not sure how fast I should be going because I also dont want to go through material too fast. Any tips and sugguestions would be greatly appreciated.

totoro

Re: Help with beginning my Lsat prep

Postby totoro » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:46 pm

I see you're using PS books though I'd highly recommend supplementing with Manhattan books since they have some complementary aspects. These two companies imo have the best information on and understanding of how to take the LSAT.

In terms of your timing question, you will have 69 PT's to work with, so spread your studying out to approximately 2 PT's a week so you have time for all of them. Since you're starting so far out, why not, it will give you such a confidence boost that you've seen every PT out there. Also, the first part of your studying should be reading books and drilling sections, so save some PT's for drills. After you really master the sections via drilling, you can use the remaining PT's for full-length tests.

Mab2013

Postby Mab2013 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:52 pm

Ya but like i said, im taking a PS course. Do you think getting the Manhatten books will interfere with my course material? I suspect it shouldnt?

totoro

Postby totoro » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am

I think you'll be fine. A lot of people on here seem to take a course and use multiple books. Also, like I said they are different. For example for Logic Reasoning, PowerScore's LRB is mostly good on teaching conditional logic and on categorizing some common answer types but it really doesn't give you a strategy. Manhattan's LR Guide is really good on giving you a strategy on how to approach each question type differently. So PS = knowledge, Manhattan = skills/approach. They are strong on different things. I don't think you'll be too confused. I read a bunch of random books.

Mab2013

Postby Mab2013 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:20 pm

But what do you do about PTs. I mean if you read all of these books, the number of PTs you have to use drops significantly dont you think. That is my biggest fear; not having enough tests to stimulate tests conditions.

bitsy

Postby bitsy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:36 pm

check the back appendix in your books that lists the PTs the questions are taken from. usually, theyll only pick Qs from a small range of tests, like 43-50. use those PTs for drilling, rather than for determining score progress. try to select books that draw Qs from the same tests. if you take a PT a week, you'll be in fine condition.

Mab2013

Postby Mab2013 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Okay I know if you take the PS course, they leave you with 24 tests to work with that are not used in their material. Do you know what those tests are or how I can find out.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”