How does the fee waiver process work?

PotenC

How does the fee waiver process work?

Postby PotenC » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm tentatively planning on taking the LSAT for the first time in June. I read somewhere on this site that you should try to sign up for it at around this time, just in case the testing location you pick is really popular. The thing is, the registration costs $160, but what happens if I happen to qualify for a fee waiver in the coming months after my 2012 tax returns are filed? Will the LSAC reimburse me my money?

Thanks in advance.

bfigsan

Re: How does the fee waiver process work?

Postby bfigsan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:55 pm

PotenC wrote:I'm tentatively planning on taking the LSAT for the first time in June. I read somewhere on this site that you should try to sign up for it at around this time, just in case the testing location you pick is really popular. The thing is, the registration costs $160, but what happens if I happen to qualify for a fee waiver in the coming months after my 2012 tax returns are filed? Will the LSAC reimburse me my money?

Thanks in advance.

If you qualify for and are granted a fee waiver, LSAC will automatically tag your account as having a fee waiver. When you register for the LSAT you will still be asked to go to the "checkout" screen, but you'll notice that you're discounted the full price and your total is $0.

The fee waiver also allows you to take the test 2x for free, receive an test prep book for free, and waives the $21 LSAC report fee for 5 schools when you apply.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:00 pm

But what if I sign up for a fee waiver after the fact? My income situation has changed significantly between 2011-12, and I notice that the fee waiver application is still asking for 2011 tax returns, so I figured I would wait until that changed to send in my application.

bfigsan

Postby bfigsan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:57 pm

PotenC wrote:But what if I sign up for a fee waiver after the fact? My income situation has changed significantly between 2011-12, and I notice that the fee waiver application is still asking for 2011 tax returns, so I figured I would wait until that changed to send in my application.

I don't think LSAC will reimburse you after the fact. If you can wait to register until you file your tax return, I would do so. Also, there's no reason that you can't file earlier than April. To be on the safe side I would contact LSAC and ask them, taking care to explain that you anticipate your upcoming tax return to reflect a much lower net income than the previous year. As long as you can explain this, I think you should be ok.

Also, they ask for a list of your total assets (savings account etc.) as well as how much you spend a month. If you can demonstrate that, regardless of previous tax returns, your ratio of income to expenses is low then they'll likely consider that.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”