The Week Before

jeastman

The Week Before

Postby jeastman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Does anyone have any idea what to do the week before? I am just taking back to back tests every day, and then studying what I got wrong and why? Is that smart, or should I be treating this like a taper week?

objection_your_honor

Re: The Week Before

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:43 pm

Some people relax a bit more. Some continue at the same pace. It really comes down to how you're feeling.

Personally, I did a dress rehearsal every day for the week leading up to the test. I feel this helped my nerves come test day.

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:32 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Some people relax a bit more. Some continue at the same pace. It really comes down to how you're feeling.

Personally, I did a dress rehearsal every day for the week leading up to the test. I feel this helped my nerves come test day.

Obviously it varies on an case by case basis, but how bad are test day nerves for the LSAT? Obviously I have some idea, having taken a few standardized tests, but the LSAT is a beast compared to the SAT and GRE.

Legallybronzed180

Postby Legallybronzed180 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Just my advice for the week before.
You already studied for this test for months you should be on the level you want be on for next week. The LSAT is a test of skill and not of knowledge so over studying this week won't help. It takes a while to develop this skill. Most of us have this skill and would be ready for the test today! We have already put in the time and effort. This week is more about bring in the right state of mind then studying. The best thing you can do is relax ( easier said then done ) make sure to get a good nights sleep every night this week. The sleep the week before the test is just as important as the night before ( and you might not sleep well the night before). You should take one or two pts take timed sections just to keep sharp and stay on time of your game. Go over a few hard games and reading passages. But don't over study you don't want to burn out . And try to have some fun!

dusters

Postby dusters » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:04 pm

ws81086n wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Some people relax a bit more. Some continue at the same pace. It really comes down to how you're feeling.

Obviously it varies on an case by case basis, but how bad are test day nerves for the LSAT? Obviously I have some idea, having taken a few standardized tests, but the LSAT is a beast compared to the SAT and GRE.

Nerves hit me bad on test day. I was shaking a bit as a wrote down all of my info on the scantron sheet. Freaked out when I had difficulties on the first section (turned out to be the experimental), and that made me do worse on the next section as all I could think about was how much I messed up. Not sure exactly what you can do to help nerves, but I'm going to try to control my breathing and remember that I am able to answer any question on the LSAT, and not to panic if something goes wrong but to think logically.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:08 pm

I wasn't a nervous wreck or anything, but seeing something unusual causes you to pause a bit longer. It's also easier to justify using time to second guess yourself and verify responses.

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:56 pm

dusters wrote:
ws81086n wrote:

Nerves hit me bad on test day. I was shaking a bit as a wrote down all of my info on the scantron sheet. Freaked out when I had difficulties on the first section (turned out to be the experimental), and that made me do worse on the next section as all I could think about was how much I messed up. Not sure exactly what you can do to help nerves, but I'm going to try to control my breathing and remember that I am able to answer any question on the LSAT, and not to panic if something goes wrong but to think logically.

I really like the emphasis on how every question is doable. I've though that before myself and it's given me some confidence.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:27 am

How early should we get to the test center? I know ticket says 8:30 but I was thinking 8?

Personally, this week I'm studying pretty hard until Thursday and then taking Friday off. Toying with the idea of doing a dress rehearsal Friday morning and then just taking all friday afternoon and evening to watch The Office.

KFV

Postby KFV » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:28 pm

The first time I took it, I went incredibly hard the week before. Two on the Monday, two on Tuesday, two on Wednesday, one on Thursday, one on Friday. I think it negatively impacted my score in hindsight. I kept doing more because I didn't feel any fatigue from it, but fatigue can set in at any moment, and I think it set in on the day of the LSAT.

This time I'm still going hard this week but not to the extent. One each day except Friday. On Friday I'll do a couple sections at different times but mostly just relax.

dusters

Postby dusters » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 pm

gobosox wrote:How early should we get to the test center? I know ticket says 8:30 but I was thinking 8?

Personally, this week I'm studying pretty hard until Thursday and then taking Friday off. Toying with the idea of doing a dress rehearsal Friday morning and then just taking all friday afternoon and evening to watch The Office.

Just be at your test room by 8:30. If you know exactly where it is it helps you stay calm chilling in your car and listening to music do that. Just remember that once you check-in you cannot leave to go to the bathroom or anything until the first section starts.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”