Consensus on best LSAT prep

F-Z-J

Consensus on best LSAT prep

Postby F-Z-J » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Hey guys! I'm currently a Junior at UCLA and am hopefully going to take the June LSAT. I was wondering what everyone's experiences were with the different lsat prep courses on the market. I'm hesitant to dish out $1500 for a course, so any and all comments on the pros and cons of different courses are appreciated.

Also has anyone used any of the apps in the itunes store to study? i've heard of lsatmax. Anyone have any experiences with it?

eerie_erie

Re: Consensus on best LSAT prep

Postby eerie_erie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Powerscore is pretty good. I'll let other posters debate accordingly.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:59 pm

There's no consensus, but there's a compilation thread detailing people's experiences with different courses.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=151670

However, many folks on TLS are big on self-study, rather than taking a course. PM me if you'd like some details on how you can effectively self-study using a variety of free and low-cost resources.

Benzyne

Postby Benzyne » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:35 pm

I agree that self-study is ideal if it can work for you, simply due to relative cost. However, I know that, for many, it just doesn't do the job. If you fall into that category, I'd strongly suggest private tutoring over group classes. A private tutoring course is often similar in cost to a classroom course, but your tutor will shape the instruction to your strengths and weaknesses and give you individualized feedback.

The above poster already linked the compilation thread. One company I almost never see mentioned here that I want to throw out there is Cambridge Coaching. They specialize in individual prep and work in the Boston and NYC areas, but also do online tutoring.

dowu

Postby dowu » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Manhattan LSAT is credited. Buy their self-prep books.

Good luck!

bitsy

Postby bitsy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:59 pm

i agree about the self-prep. used powerscore and manhattan with cambridge bundles for drilling, myself.

i'd recommend against going the itunes app route. i d/led LSAT Connect and it was weird working from a screen, especially for LG. if you do decide that an app is essential, make sure you obtain one that uses real LSAT problems. the fake questions can throw off your perception of the test.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:05 pm

Get the books, tests online and do it yourself. Save boatloads of money. Don't feel like an idiot who wasted boatloads of money if you can't master the LSAT and decide not to go to law school

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Benzyne wrote:I agree that self-study is ideal if it can work for you, simply due to relative cost. However, I know that, for many, it just doesn't do the job. If you fall into that category, I'd strongly suggest private tutoring over group classes. A private tutoring course is often similar in cost to a classroom course, but your tutor will shape the instruction to your strengths and weaknesses and give you individualized feedback.

The above poster already linked the compilation thread. One company I almost never see mentioned here that I want to throw out there is Cambridge Coaching. They specialize in individual prep and work in the Boston and NYC areas, but also do online tutoring.

One and only post. Seems legit.

F-Z-J

Postby F-Z-J » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I've already bought some of the powerscore books. I checked out the app and it seems to be a full comprehensive course like any of the ones you would go to.

I was really skeptical about the whole issue of studying with made up lsat questions because of its distortion of the actual LSAT but they have the actual licenses for every lsat going back to the early 90's so i dont know it seems pretty legit.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:15 pm

As always, feel free to PM me with any questions about Blueprint.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 pm

I feel like an LSAT course is a bit like a bar review course: it doesn't matter which one you take, the whole point is just being there and having someone hold you accountable for studying if you lack the discipline to do it yourself.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:31 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:Manhattan LSAT is credited. Buy their self-prep books.

Good luck!

+add to that the Cambridge drilling packets

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”