Is The Economist a good way to spend valuable time reading?

itachiuchiha

Is The Economist a good way to spend valuable time reading?

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:20 pm

I am trying to improve RC which needs the most improvement and I need to improve my LR just a bit. In my downtime (say 30 minutes to an hour a day) is the Economist a good read to improve? Any other recommendations, or should I strictly just LSAT study?

Time is valuable and i do not want to waste it on something that will not help me on my June Test

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Is The Economist a good way to spend valuable time reading?

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:22 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:I am trying to improve RC which needs the most improvement and I need to improve my LR just a bit. In my downtime (say 30 minutes to an hour a day) is the Economist a good read to improve? Any other recommendations, or should I strictly just LSAT study?

Time is valuable and i do not want to waste it on something that will not help me on my June Test

Yes.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:25 pm

Don't just read. Read for the argument and how the author boosts his argument.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Also read articles (higher level ones, not 4th grade reading level) about stuff you have absolutely no interest in. Chances are 4/4 of the passages on the test will be on a subject that you could care less about, so might as well get used to it. Also, like boblawlob said, try and focus on looking for the structure of the argument as well as the "big picture."

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:44 pm

jeez. i read the first 10 pages of the latest economist issue. Damn this is boring

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:52 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:jeez. i read the first 10 pages of the latest economist issue. Damn this is boring

Great Sign. Actually If you want some more readings to do that will improve your reading comprehension, check out this link:

http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/readi ... roduction/

The books are fairly interesting and alot of the material is similar to certain reading comp passages: Native Americans, Hard Science(Dawkins), and legal shizz. You can also get the books off Amazon for SUPER CHEAP!

Its worth a shot.

Also, read the New Yorker.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:54 pm

but uh, I think I'd recommend you read every single reading comp passage ever released (and do the questions, too) before June. It should be sufficient practice if it's focused. Just like with LR, maybe do the first 30 or so untimed just focusing on mastering your ability to break down articles Manhattan-style, and then do the rest timed in test like conditions. that's what im gonna do.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:55 pm

I was reading the Economist for a while, but it can be quite boring. You might want to try to read a stack of books that are actually interesting, so you can stay motivated. I read Steve Jobs' biography. I highly recommend it. There are all types of threads that recommend a list of books. You should look into those.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:57 pm

HELL YEAH! Another excuse to buy myself a Kindle or an iPad! Yay!

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:42 pm

I think this to be true, because the length of the economist article is roughly around the same length as a RC passage. Also it is on par difficulty wise with the questions on RC. In my opinion, the passages in RC are often random and no one cares about the subject matter. The Economist tends to be on a similar note, well at least for me. While some articles are interesting others are a drag, so by reading the economist it aids me in staying focus, understanding difficult passages that I am not used to reading, and helps improve my speed in which I read difficult or uninteresting topics.

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:35 am

The point is to get practice at reading dense material, not practice at reading material that you are not interested in --

And, as bizzybone mentioned, you'll get more out of it if you are actually interested.

I've mentioned this before on this site, but if you are looking for some non-LSAT reading to supplement your real LSAT prep, one book I would suggest getting is A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson -- I've mentioned elsewhere all of the various things that it has going for it -- here are just a few points --

1) it covers EVERY major scientific discovery/issue EVER. It is highly likely that the book covers whatever scientific issue your passage will be about.

2) It's dense and it's science-for-non-scientists, just like LSAT passages.

3) It is very interesting and enjoyable.

Good luck - Mike Kim

lloydbraun

Postby lloydbraun » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:20 am

I don't know why people recommend reading The Economist etc. when someone is looking to improve his or her reading comprehension. Reading complex, dull material does not improve a person's cognitive abilities in my opinion.

Find reading material that is likely to interest you but is on the complex side and try to keep a disciplined interest in reading. Don't just read, but focus on what you're reading even if it takes you more than a few minutes to get through a page. Don't let yourself turn the page until you can recall everything you just read almost word for word. This is a mentally straining activity but I find it helps. You really have to focus on what you're reading for it to count; most of us read text on screens all day without it ever benefiting our comprehension skills.

Reading the LSAT passages is of course recommended, but if you are seriously struggling in this area it may be good to use SAT practice tests to get into the flow of things. If a person can't consistently score 800s on the SAT RC section, he or she is going to be hard pressed going above -10 on LSAT RC. If you aren't having major trouble with this section ignore this advice.

EEguy5

Postby EEguy5 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:17 am

Mik Ekim wrote:The point is to get practice at reading dense material, not practice at reading material that you are not interested in --

And, as bizzybone mentioned, you'll get more out of it if you are actually interested.

I've mentioned this before on this site, but if you are looking for some non-LSAT reading to supplement your real LSAT prep, one book I would suggest getting is A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson -- I've mentioned elsewhere all of the various things that it has going for it -- here are just a few points --

1) it covers EVERY major scientific discovery/issue EVER. It is highly likely that the book covers whatever scientific issue your passage will be about.

Good luck - Mike Kim

Mike, thanks for the advice. Like the OP I am also having trouble in RC and I think I will give this book a shot. However, as an engineer, sciences usually aren't the hardest passages for me. Any books you recommend similar to the above but focused on humanities, social science, or law?

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:47 am

lloydbraun wrote:I don't know why people recommend reading The Economist etc. when someone is looking to improve his or her reading comprehension. Reading complex, dull material does not improve a person's cognitive abilities in my opinion.

Find reading material that is likely to interest you but is on the complex side and try to keep a disciplined interest in reading. Don't just read, but focus on what you're reading even if it takes you more than a few minutes to get through a page. Don't let yourself turn the page until you can recall everything you just read almost word for word. This is a mentally straining activity but I find it helps. You really have to focus on what you're reading for it to count; most of us read text on screens all day without it ever benefiting our comprehension skills.

Reading the LSAT passages is of course recommended, but if you are seriously struggling in this area it may be good to use SAT practice tests to get into the flow of things. If a person can't consistently score 800s on the SAT RC section, he or she is going to be hard pressed going above -10 on LSAT RC. If you aren't having major trouble with this section ignore this advice.

Maybe it hasn't improved my cognitive abilities, but it has improved my ability to focus and comprehend when reading something that is dry and dull, which sometimes the economist has proven not to be. It is easier to read and comprehend something you enjoy, at least for me it is. I think if you are an effective reader than it doesn't matter how complex the material, although it may take longer to digest the material if one is not invested in the subject matter or familiar. So reading material that one is not accustomed to (maybe this is better than saying read material you are not interested in) aid him and her with pacing and focus ability.
Last edited by Chowfun on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:48 am

Mik Ekim wrote:The point is to get practice at reading dense material, not practice at reading material that you are not interested in --

Good luck - Mike Kim

Hmm... I might have to check it out.

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:42 am

EEguy5 wrote:

Good luck - Mike Kim

Mike, thanks for the advice. Like the OP I am also having trouble in RC and I think I will give this book a shot. However, as an engineer, sciences usually aren't the hardest passages for me. Any books you recommend similar to the above but focused on humanities, social science, or law?

Sorry - I wish I did but none are coming to mind -- what's great about the bryson book is that it covers a ton of subjects at a level of depth that's similar to the LSAT -- most of the history books and such that I read tend to be about one person or one period or whatnot -- if other TLSers have interesting humanities, social science, or law books to recommend would love to hear about them.

One other suggestion I have is to read The Week, which is a weekly news magazine that highlights the major news issues of the week, and culls and compares and contrasts opinions about these issues. The Week is not nearly as dense as the Economist, but the passages are structured very much like LSAT passages, and they will give you great practice at focusing on main points, organizing opinions around those various points, and organizing background and support relative to those opinions. HTH.

pena2200

Postby pena2200 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:45 pm

I just started my prep, but RC is the only section I'm scoring decently at. I recommend the below website because it has a plethora of different articles and genres, that are all high-level and scholarly.

http://www.aldaily.com/

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:56 pm

EEguy5 wrote:

Have you tried to read the Supreme Court cases? You may want to try it....... It's dry like hell but I can keep myself concentrating on it for about 1 hour.....

PBateman1

Postby PBateman1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:14 pm

I must be a huge nerd. I enjoy reading The Economist for pleasure.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Good luck - Mike Kim

Mike, thank you for the suggestion. I will buy this book and start reading today and on my commute to and from work. You're the best! :)

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 pm

BlaqBella wrote:

Good luck - Mike Kim

Mike, thank you for the suggestion. I will buy this book and start reading today and on my commute to and from work. You're the best! :)

That's terrific! Personally, I find the book to be incredibly inspiring (which is also good for your LSAT prep!) - thanks for letting me know and I really hope you enjoy it.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:43 pm

Mik Ekim wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Good luck - Mike Kim

That's terrific! Personally, I find the book to be incredibly inspiring (which is also good for your LSAT prep!) - thanks for letting me know and I really hope you enjoy it.

just started reading today! love it so far

KFV

Postby KFV » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:55 pm

Read academic articles. That's all I did for RC in between December and now (other than actual RC questions of course), and I've gone from -4 on that test (which was about average for my PTs prior) to hitting 0 on my last three PTs. I attribute this to the fact that I'm saving a full minute PER PASSAGE as compared to last time.

And, like someone said, you should be reading things you find dreadfully boring.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:58 pm

KFV wrote:Read academic articles. That's all I did for RC in between December and now (other than actual RC questions of course), and I've gone from -4 on that test (which was about average for my PTs prior) to hitting 0 on my last three PTs. I attribute this to the fact that I'm saving a full minute PER PASSAGE as compared to last time.

And, like someone said, you should be reading things you find dreadfully boring.

like the ones from academic onefile? or the type that we use for sources when writing a paper?

KFV

Postby KFV » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 pm

I'm unfamiliar with onefile but, yes, the latter.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”