Analytical Reasoning practice tips

User avatar
johmica
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:01 am

Analytical Reasoning practice tips

Postby johmica » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:47 pm

OK, so I'm twelve tests into studying for the June LSAT. I'm rocking on the Logical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension sections. I'm missing between 0-1 per section consistently, with anywhere from 4-8 minutes of time left over upon completion. Unfortunately, the section barring me from my much desired 180 is the Analytical Reasoning section.

I consistently miss between 0-1 question on the AR sections, but I'm going anywhere from 3-8 minutes over time. I usually have between 2-4 questions left to answer when my timer passes the 35 minute mark. I've got to speed up.

So my approach so far has been to retake just the AR section the next day, with attentiveness not only to the correct answer, but also understanding why the incorrect answers are incorrect. It's relevant to note that even though I take extra time to look at every answer carefully during my retake of the section, I typically finish the section well within time the second time around. It seems that my previous familiarity with the rules of the four games cuts my time by 10 minutes or so.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Other than what I'm already doing, what can I do to improve my time on the AR sections? I'm sure this question has been floated before, so if anyone remembers a thread that covers my question thoughtfully, a link would be very much appreciated.

magickware
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Re: Analytical Reasoning practice tips

Postby magickware » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Time yourself with each game specifically and then check to see what took you the longest in that given game. Did you take 5+ minutes to write the rules down and then make inferences? Did you take 7 minutes on answering the questions because you check through every answer? Stuff like that.

Once you determine what exactly it is that takes so much time, find ways to get around that.

If you're finishing things considerably quicker the second time around, then I'd wager that your familiarity with the rules themselves allow you to go faster, so you may have a problem with making inferences quickly. If that is the case, the only remedy is time and a LOT of games.

Do all the games. Twice.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Analytical Reasoning practice tips

Postby Theopliske8711 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Do every single logic game, and then do them again, and again until you get every single one correct all the time. You will pretty much master every possibility that they can throw at you.

User avatar
crestor
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 am

Re: Analytical Reasoning practice tips

Postby crestor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:Do every single logic game, and then do them again, and again until you get every single one correct all the time. You will pretty much master every possibility that they can throw at you.



lol

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Analytical Reasoning practice tips

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Just to add: if you do my method. Go through a book first. Get the Manhattan LG book (best by far, IMHO). Read the book, master the data then do games er'day every day. Do a game on the train, car, bus, while waiting for a friend. Do them under bad conditions to train your mind for the comfortable conditions.

bogydog
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Re: Analytical Reasoning practice tips

Postby bogydog » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:38 pm

I think the OP meant to say that he's rocking the games.

I'm no expert when it comes to the LSAT and the only real practice test I've taken is the June 2007, but I'm easily able to finish the AR section within the time limit. If I had to attribute my speed to one thing, it would be crossing off answers that I'm positive are wrong as I read them. Otherwise on trickier questions I might have found myself rereading every answer, which would have been a definite time sucker.

jmjm
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 am

Re: Analytical Reasoning practice tips

Postby jmjm » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:22 am

johmica wrote:OK, so I'm twelve tests into studying for the June LSAT. I'm rocking on the Logical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension sections. I'm missing between 0-1 per section consistently, with anywhere from 4-8 minutes of time left over upon completion. Unfortunately, the section barring me from my much desired 180 is the Analytical Reasoning section.

I consistently miss between 0-1 question on the AR sections, but I'm going anywhere from 3-8 minutes over time. I usually have between 2-4 questions left to answer when my timer passes the 35 minute mark. I've got to speed up.

So my approach so far has been to retake just the AR section the next day, with attentiveness not only to the correct answer, but also understanding why the incorrect answers are incorrect. It's relevant to note that even though I take extra time to look at every answer carefully during my retake of the section, I typically finish the section well within time the second time around. It seems that my previous familiarity with the rules of the four games cuts my time by 10 minutes or so.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Other than what I'm already doing, what can I do to improve my time on the AR sections? I'm sure this question has been floated before, so if anyone remembers a thread that covers my question thoughtfully, a link would be very much appreciated.


Old(er) thread but finishing RC/LR with upto 8 mins remaining is unheard of. No? Your RC/LR sounds excellent.
You finish an RC passage in less than 7 mins on average?

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Analytical Reasoning practice tips

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:30 am

jmjm wrote:
johmica wrote:OK, so I'm twelve tests into studying for the June LSAT. I'm rocking on the Logical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension sections. I'm missing between 0-1 per section consistently, with anywhere from 4-8 minutes of time left over upon completion. Unfortunately, the section barring me from my much desired 180 is the Analytical Reasoning section.

I consistently miss between 0-1 question on the AR sections, but I'm going anywhere from 3-8 minutes over time. I usually have between 2-4 questions left to answer when my timer passes the 35 minute mark. I've got to speed up.

So my approach so far has been to retake just the AR section the next day, with attentiveness not only to the correct answer, but also understanding why the incorrect answers are incorrect. It's relevant to note that even though I take extra time to look at every answer carefully during my retake of the section, I typically finish the section well within time the second time around. It seems that my previous familiarity with the rules of the four games cuts my time by 10 minutes or so.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Other than what I'm already doing, what can I do to improve my time on the AR sections? I'm sure this question has been floated before, so if anyone remembers a thread that covers my question thoughtfully, a link would be very much appreciated.


Old(er) thread but finishing RC/LR with upto 8 mins remaining is unheard of. No? Your RC/LR sounds excellent.
You finish an RC passage in less than 7 mins on average?

Certainly not unheard of. I usually had LR done with 10 to spare, to go over ones I wasn't sure of. Towards the test I had also gotten very quick with RC, usually 6-7 minutes left and confident in my answers, but that was only starting maybe a month from my test date.

Edit: Hope that didn't come off braggy. It wasn't intended to, just trying to say it's certainly possible, I'd even say common among higher scorers.

jmjm
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 am

Re: Analytical Reasoning practice tips

Postby jmjm » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:56 am

That's quick and excellent. I initially began with voyager's approach but it takes too much time. I'm nowhere as fast on rc/lr as you and may be I should try no-marking. I assume these posted times are for passages not seen or done before.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 180orDie, Alexandros, alexp, BobBoblaw, bobidjo, BOSStongrl, danny_columbuslsat, Euthyphro, foodlaw, potus, RareExports, scalawag, Smortensen, VMars, wedidit1991, xtremenite, Yahoo [Bot] and 72 guests