RC Section

RC Section

Postby okaygo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:17 pm

How many of you purchased a book specifically for the RC section? If you did, did you find it particularly helpful?

Re: RC Section

Postby Typhoon24 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Manhattan Reading Comp. Of course it's helpful.

while you're at it, get the other 2 manhattan books.

Re: RC Section

Postby totoro » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 pm

You should definitely purchase an RC book. You should also purchase an LR book, the Cambridge LR bundles (for which you should drill the respective question types while reading the LR book), and LG book. Think of the LSAT as testing three separate sections. You will need different skills and strategies to tackle the three types of sections. Therefore you need to focus your studying to master the different skills needed.

The best focus books are PowerScore and Manhattan in my opinion.

Manhattan RC is very good. One thing I would advise, though, is that their "scale" conceptualization is not very useful and may be a waste of time to force yourself to think about how a passage fits the scale. Recently, including the Oct. 2012 LSAT I took, there are less "argument" based passages, and there are more of other types. However everything else in that book is very useful.

To replace the Manhattan scale idea, I actually think Kaplan's RC does a better job of categorizing the passage types (though this is its only advantage). I'll list them here: describing a phenomenon; describing two sides to an argument; criticizing/advocating for one side of an argument, and coming up with author's own argument.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”