Important RC question please help

nosleeptillsuccess

Important RC question please help

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:33 pm

When you go to answer a question on reading comp, do you read every answer choice first so when you refer back to the text something may jump out at you?

Or do you do read and tackle each answer choice individually?

superpippo

Re: Important RC question please help

Postby superpippo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:40 pm

The credited strategy, i believe, is to read the entire passage first without reading the questions. The strategy is, through prep, to understand the types of questions asked in the RC section and tailor your reading to look for information that pertains to the types of questions that consistently asked in every RC section.

There are global (or broad) questions, which require you to understand the stances of different figures in the text, understand the main point, and other inferences from the text. You should be thinking about these broader themes as you read.

Then there are detail questions: To cover these, note transition words and lists of facts, where you can predict that there may be detail questions asked.

A key to the LSAT, especially RC, is your ability to read predictively in regard to the questions being asked. This strategy will be echoed in any test prep book or course and there is probably a guide explaining this somewhere on TLS.

totoro

Postby totoro » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Definitely read the passage first and make mark-ups, noting the main point, purpose, and author's general attitude, then move onto to the questions. Looking at the questions first is kind of pointless because a) some of the questions will always be predictable (i.e. what's the main point of the passage) and b) you're going to forget most of the questions anyway. It's best just to concentrate on the passage first.

But to answer your actual question, whether you need to refer back to the passage or not, it depends on the type of question. For "global questions," you should not need to refer back. You should have an idea of the larger picture already stored in your head. However, for "detail" and "inference" questions, absolutely refer back. These usually test more specific parts of the passage - Don't count on yourself to remember all the details, you want to make sure that you get them right, and the answers are often in the passage. Try to avoid randomly scanning the entire passage; for these questions you may have a sense most of the time of where you need to look in the passage already.

This being said, any time you are stuck between two answer choices, use the passage as your guide to choose the more accurate one.

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:20 pm

my question still wasn't answered lol

totoro

Postby totoro » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:44 pm

Oh sorry lol I see what the question is now. It's hard to say because I did most of this unconsciously. I think for most questions, you should read over all the answer choices first, and then go back to the passage. That way you have a sense of what you're looking for. Also, you may be able to cross off and eliminate some of the wrong answer choices immediately just from your retention of the passage.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:32 am

For most RC questions, 3 of the 5 questions should be easily ruled out by a rudimentary understanding of the passage. Sometimes, 3 will be left instead of 2, but usually you're between 2.

So my strategy is to read each answer choice and immediately discount it if it's at odds with the overall 'feel' of the passage. Then, when I hit a possible correct AC, I head back to the part of my passage with a relevant tag and check it. If it's right, I circle it but still read the other ACs. If it's wrong, I cross it out and move on.

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Just as in LG, it really depends on the question, and if you are consistently good at figuring out exactly what the question expects of you, it can give you a big advantage.

Certain q's are designed for you to be able to predict the substance of the answer before looking at the choices --

Examples might be "The author's primary purpose is to..." and "The author mentions X on line 36 in order to..."

For the first example - you should have a good sense of the answer from your initial read - you can do a 5 second scan of the text as a whole to refresh your understanding (but shouldn't often need to) - then you can use this to eliminate wrong choices. Down to 1 or at most 2 viable options, you can go back into the text to make sure that the specific wording of the answer that sounds good to you matches the specifics of the passage.

For the second example - you should go to the text and read it (starting a few lines before and going a few lines after), and again predict the substance of the right answer before going into the choices. You can use your sense to make eliminations, then, hopefully just down to one, or at most two choices, you can check the specifics again with the text.

Other q's are designed for you not to be to predict the substance of the answer before looking at the choices --

An example might be "The author mentions which of the following?" -- In this case, it doesn't make any sense to try and predict -- I would read through the five choices, looking to eliminate obvious wrong ones (but be careful), then go to the text after reading all five choices, hopefully with just a couple to evaluate carefully.

So, again, I think it's question-type specific -- there aren't that many different types of RC q's, and having the right habits for each one can give u an edge - hope that helps.

totoro

Postby totoro » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Mik Ekim wrote:Just as in LG, it really depends on the question, and if you are consistently good at figuring out exactly what the question expects of you, it can give you a big advantage.

Certain q's are designed for you to be able to predict the substance of the answer before looking at the choices --

Examples might be "The author's primary purpose is to..." and "The author mentions X on line 36 in order to..."

For the first example - you should have a good sense of the answer from your initial read - you can do a 5 second scan of the text as a whole to refresh your understanding (but shouldn't often need to) - then you can use this to eliminate wrong choices. Down to 1 or at most 2 viable options, you can go back into the text to make sure that the specific wording of the answer that sounds good to you matches the specifics of the passage.

For the second example - you should go to the text and read it (starting a few lines before and going a few lines after), and again predict the substance of the right answer before going into the choices. You can use your sense to make eliminations, then, hopefully just down to one, or at most two choices, you can check the specifics again with the text.

Other q's are designed for you not to be to predict the substance of the answer before looking at the choices --

An example might be "The author mentions which of the following?" -- In this case, it doesn't make any sense to try and predict -- I would read through the five choices, looking to eliminate obvious wrong ones (but be careful), then go to the text after reading all five choices, hopefully with just a couple to evaluate carefully.

So, again, I think it's question-type specific -- there aren't that many different types of RC q's, and having the right habits for each one can give u an edge - hope that helps.

+1. Thanks Mike. I knew there were certain questions that I did differently. I think you hit on the most important distinction there.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”