Take or don't take the February LSAT - Advice?

AT9

Take or don't take the February LSAT - Advice?

Postby AT9 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:21 pm

I registered for the February LSAT about 5 weeks prior to the test. I read through the Power Score Bibles and did the sample questions for a couple months this past fall, but no serious drilling or PTs. In the 7 PTs I've taken in the past few weeks, I've averaged right around 160 with a goal of 163/164. However, because I've seen little improvement, I'm considering withdrawing (for a partial refund if possible) and taking in June instead. I figured this would give me more time to properly prepare without the added stress of such a time-crunch. It would also give me the ability to aim higher, maybe around 170.

It would be a financial annoyance, but not a big issue. Would anyone here recommend taking it in two weeks anyway? Or should I just take the extra time and aim higher in June? I have a pretty decent GPA of about 3.8 and I'm currently working full time as a case manager for several product liability settlements (not the most impressive soft, but I assume it would be worth something), so I don't want to settle for a lower score when I feel that I could have some really good options if I can't get up to the 170 range.

Thanks for letting me blab this all out and for any advice!

Typhoon24

Re: Take or don't take the February LSAT - Advice?

Postby Typhoon24 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:32 pm

definitely wait till june. Only take the test when you're 100% ready.

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah, definitely don't take. There's NO good reason to take it.

I was thinking about cancelling October. But I decided to just take it and I'd have the option to cancel. Then I decided not to cancel and see what I get - I got a score that's not ridiculously bad but not great either. So I'm retaking in June.

Sticking with it gave me only ONE positive - the experience and satisfaction of having taken one. If I had delayed it then until June, I might have felt like I was just delaying this test/avoiding it/putting it off. It was a psychological positive. One that's not that important. And it came with a big concrete negative - having that lower score on my record when I do apply. A score that I'm not even going to use as my top. One that can't benefit me and can only weaken my application.

Studying as much as I am now, I am amazed at how little I knew back then - I was ridiculously foolish going into the test knowing only what I knew and not knowing so much. It was a huge gamble. Although I'm sure I could've score 10 points higher on a better test, I could've scored 5~8 points lower just as easily on a different one. Don't take that uncertain chance - god knows even people who certainly expect 170s from PTs end up with lower points

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:01 pm

AT9 wrote:I registered for the February LSAT about 5 weeks prior to the test. I read through the Power Score Bibles and did the sample questions for a couple months this past fall, but no serious drilling or PTs. In the 7 PTs I've taken in the past few weeks, I've averaged right around 160 with a goal of 163/164. However, because I've seen little improvement, I'm considering withdrawing (for a partial refund if possible) and taking in June instead. I figured this would give me more time to properly prepare without the added stress of such a time-crunch. It would also give me the ability to aim higher, maybe around 170.

It would be a financial annoyance, but not a big issue. Would anyone here recommend taking it in two weeks anyway? Or should I just take the extra time and aim higher in June? I have a pretty decent GPA of about 3.8 and I'm currently working full time as a case manager for several product liability settlements (not the most impressive soft, but I assume it would be worth something), so I don't want to settle for a lower score when I feel that I could have some really good options if I can't get up to the 170 range.

Thanks for letting me blab this all out and for any advice!

You would best be served by postponing until June when you are better prepared to give the LSAT your best prepared shot to maximize your score.

For the majority of people, especially ones that haven't prepped much already, significant point gains in the last two weeks are not typical due to the limited time to really drill, practice and review a lot to improve strengths and fix weaknesses.

Just the difference in percentile ranking and for admission chances at many schools between a 160 and 164 is pretty big, let alone the difference between a 170+ and a 160s score.

June buys you plenty of time to master the test to the best of your ability so you can end up with a nice clean set of only two numbers for your applications, your pretty 3.8 GPA and only one LSAT score, a really good one.

The deadline to withdraw your Feb registration with a partial refund passed on Jan 18th, so you would just withdraw your registration with zero refund if you decide to push it back to June.

The best rule of thumb is simple: Only take the LSAT when you are adequately prepared to do your best and are able to consistently score in your goal range on timed/test day simulated conditions PTs during the last two weeks before test day.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:40 am

Thanks for the input, everyone. You're all confirming what I think, but I wanted to get the opinions of those more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

Sucks about the refund deadline. I'll plan to withdraw unless something out of left field forces me to take it. The new challenge will be finding the most effective way to study over four months...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”