Manhattan Reading Comp Experience

jingosaur

Manhattan Reading Comp Experience

Postby jingosaur » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:21 pm

I got my copy of the Manhattan Reading Comp book (3rd Edition) and read through it in about a week and a half. I felt that it was a great book and I learned a lot from what they had to say. I got 1 question wrong in all of the sample questions in the first 7 sections and I got 38 of 38 GMAT Reading Comp practice questions right from using their methods. This is after getting 6 RC wrong on my first LSAT try and getting as many as 10 wrong on another prep test.

I did the full Reading Comp in section 8 last night and all of a sudden got SEVEN WRONG. Has anyone else read Manhattan Reading Comp and had a similar experience? If so, has it gotten better with more practice? I'm going for a retake in June and won't take it unless I'm absolutely positive that I will test significantly better on Reading Comp. I'm wondering right now if it's worth the time to practice.

mindarmed

Re: Manhattan Reading Comp Experience

Postby mindarmed » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:38 pm

goldbh7 wrote:I got my copy of the Manhattan Reading Comp book (3rd Edition) and read through it in about a week and a half. I felt that it was a great book and I learned a lot from what they had to say. I got 1 question wrong in all of the sample questions in the first 7 sections and I got 38 of 38 GMAT Reading Comp practice questions right from using their methods. This is after getting 6 RC wrong on my first LSAT try and getting as many as 10 wrong on another prep test.

I did the full Reading Comp in section 8 last night and all of a sudden got SEVEN WRONG. Has anyone else read Manhattan Reading Comp and had a similar experience? If so, has it gotten better with more practice? I'm going for a retake in June and won't take it unless I'm absolutely positive that I will test significantly better on Reading Comp. I'm wondering right now if it's worth the time to practice.

Small sample size, you need to complete more sections and practice

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi -

I wrote the Manhattan Reading Comp guide --

First of all, really happy to hear that you got something out of it -- makes my day, actually --

Second, just wanted to encourage you to keep at it --

We all read by habit - in the same way that we walk or talk by habit - and we can't read differently just by wanting to. Hopefully, the book helped put you in a better mindset for thinking about LSAT RC, but it's expected that everyone needs plenty of practice to turn that understanding into effective habits --

It sounds like you are in a strong position -- I would expect that with some more practice under your belt you accuracy will shoot up --

Best of luck --

Mike Kim

crestor

Postby crestor » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 pm

although stated above, you can't make a legitimate conclusion from that sample size...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”