Inference Questions- RC VS LR

nosleeptillsuccess

Inference Questions- RC VS LR

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:26 pm

Inference questions on LR are the same as must be true, so I'm assuming it's the same with RC. However, it seems that RC is so much more lenient when it comes to inference questions.

Is there a difference here?

If you have extra time please tell me your approach to all the types of questions so I can see if I'm on the right track :D
Thanks

Theopliske8711

Re: Inference Questions- RC VS LR

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:39 pm

For RC inferences, I found that they often have their answer in things that are repeated in the text. Note points of emphasis which may be re-iterated at various points, or even individual words/terms, they may clue you in to a possible inference question.

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Yeah but on LR it seems a lot "tighter" with no wiggle room. On RC the answer choices sometimes only seem to "reflect" the text or be "looser" on the answer choices.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:55 pm

nosleeptillsuccess wrote:Yeah but on LR it seems a lot "tighter" with no wiggle room. On RC the answer choices sometimes only seem to "reflect" the text or be "looser" on the answer choices.

I'm increasingly finding that you can find direct textual support for most RC inference Qs if you go through the passage carefully enough. It's just a lot more text to dig through than the stimuli for LR Qs. I've found it helpful when reviewing RC sections to go through and find line by line support for the correct answer to inference Qs I get wrong (I'm pretty sure Manhattan RC recommends this strat). They definitely aren't as "tight" as the LR choices, but it's usually there.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Yea, inferences will almost always be supportable through the text. Sometimes it may combine two differences parts through a shared feature. That's why I said look for something that is repeated in the text as that may clue you in to a possible inference.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”