My plan for the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
caruiz93

New

My plan for the LSAT

Post by caruiz93 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:45 am

I am a sophomore, and i know its way early to be talking about the LSAT. However my situation makes me have to plan way in advance. I am working to pay for school as i go and my plan is to go to law school right after undergrad, so my study time is kind of limited. I can't afford one of those expensive classes and i am planning on self-studying intensely this summer and take the LSAT this coming fall (of my junior year). I know that taking the lsat fall of my junior year is early but not unheard of. I am doing this to give myself time to retake it if i want to improve my score in the spring of 2014 and fall of my senior year. Does it look bad to law school admissions to take the lsat 3 times?

dowu

Platinum

Re: My plan for the LSAT

Post by dowu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:49 am

caruiz93 wrote:I am a sophomore, and i know its way early to be talking about the LSAT. However my situation makes me have to plan way in advance. I am working to pay for school as i go and my plan is to go to law school right after undergrad, so my study time is kind of limited. I can't afford one of those expensive classes and i am planning on self-studying intensely this summer and take the LSAT this coming fall (of my junior year). I know that taking the lsat fall of my junior year is early but not unheard of. I am doing this to give myself time to retake it if i want to improve my score in the spring of 2014 and fall of my senior year. Does it look bad to law school admissions to take the lsat 3 times?
No. Exhaust all 3 of your retakes. Law schools take the highest score. Self studying is credited. Check out the Manattan LSAT book series. They are definitely the best. After you read those, practice test and thoroughly review any missed questions.

Id also recommend getting some work experience and to save some money after you graduate UG. Focus now on keeping your GPA as high as possible - you only have one shot at that.

Good luck!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

caruiz93

New

Post by caruiz93 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:48 am

are prep courses worth the money? I was originally planning on self studying over the summer but the other day a group from princeton review came to talk to us about the lsat and other graduate school admissions tests. Of course, i know they weren't there to help us because they are nice, they were there to hook people into paying for a prep course and present themselves in a positive light....but they did do a great job of presenting themselves in a positive light. I have savings that i was planning on building up til after undergrad but now I'm considering using it for a prep course. Are prep courses really worth it? or could i self study and be discipline and get the same results for myself?

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 am

caruiz93 wrote:are prep courses worth the money? I was originally planning on self studying over the summer but the other day a group from princeton review came to talk to us about the lsat and other graduate school admissions tests. Of course, i know they weren't there to help us because they are nice, they were there to hook people into paying for a prep course and present themselves in a positive light....but they did do a great job of presenting themselves in a positive light. I have savings that i was planning on building up til after undergrad but now I'm considering using it for a prep course. Are prep courses really worth it? or could i self study and be discipline and get the same results for myself?
Self study dude. But the Manhattan LSAT logical reasoning, Reading comprehension, and logic games series. You can find them online for a pretty good price. Then, take a bunch of practice tests and thoroughly review anything you miss/had trouble with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caruiz93

New

Post by caruiz93 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:40 am

even if i have no experience with it? I haven't taken the lsat yet, but based on my high school standardized testing id say ill be pretty average and will need to work myself up to a good score.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:44 am

caruiz93 wrote:even if i have no experience with it? I haven't taken the lsat yet, but based on my high school standardized testing id say ill be pretty average and will need to work myself up to a good score.
If you're going to spend money beyond the cost of prep materials, get a tutor for a few sessions toward the end of your studying if you get stuck on a particular question type/section.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”