Lessons from Prep Tests (my own list)

Lessons from Prep Tests (my own list)

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 am

Hey guys, I made of list of "things learned from mistakes" on various LR and RC questions from Prep Tests I have taken. Where there is no general principle to follow, I just put in a lesson by discussing the question itself. I was wondering what you guys thought about it.

PT 46 (Taken I/20/2013)

Pay attention to word repetition for indications of author sentiments. If the author repeats the words “subtle” it may indicate their own view or preference in relation to what is being discussed.
See if the MI is found in the beginning of the article. It is not always the case, but pay attention when it is.

Sec. 2.12. Be careful for term switches in the argument (employer is used in the beginning of the stimulus and employee at the end).
Sec 2.13. If something will (likely) cause an effect, then an alternative method that brings about the same cause will (likely) have the same effect (take note of use of language implying possible variables). If the increase in body temp from working out in the afternoon leads to deeper sleep, then a shower will also likely lead to deeper sleep if it raises body temp.
Sec. 3. 13. If (a) group(s) who have a certain quality have an associated characteristic, we cannot conclude a relation between the degree of the quality and degree of the characteristic. If great writers are usually perceptive, we cannot conclude what the relationship between the degree of the writer’s greatness and his perceptiveness is, or if there is any.
Sec. 3.17: If the stimulus states “reflects the distribution of student opinion”, it says nothing about the “assessment”. An opinion is not an assessment. Beware of language implying objectivity vs. subjectivity. 2. In order to reflect distribution of opinion, the basic (and necessary) assumption is that the method by which the opinion is attained will reflect distribution! Look for simplicity in the nec. Assumptions.
Sec. 3. 22: The rise of those over 65 is the conclusion and the evidence is the rise in the average age. The argument is strengthened if there is an opposing force that is contesting and it still manages to stand. If you want to show a rise in those over 65, a sudden rise in those under 18 would strengthen it if the average age still went up.

PT 50 (Taken I/20/2013)

Sec.1.2. For inference questions on the RC, often the answer is something that is repeated in the passage. Here the word “thematic” is repeated quite often.
Sec. 1.7. The passage focuses on the law changing to serve the greater good by bringing relief to debtors. Credits won out unexpectedly.
Sec. 1.17: Use of the word should reflect the theme of the paragraph in which it is used.
Sec. 1.25: Be careful of trick answers that look similar but with small variables, “unsure”, “may”, “might”, “could”… they should be reflected in the passage.

2.11. When a stimulus speaks in absolutes, the answer should follow. If something should only be done for a particular purpose, it cannot be done for other purposes. Cynthia states that research can be done just for the theoretical; Luis disagrees. The answer should reflect Luis’ absoluteness.
2.21. Pay close attention to precision. Most at the restaurant were not exposed to the bacteria, only those who ate a particular dish.
3.18. One thing was banned when it was thought to be very harmful. New research was discovered that said it was less harmful than the product that wasn’t banned. The stimulus then makes the statement that either both should be banned or neither. It’s not E, because there is no statement made about what should be done in the beginning of the stimulus, we only have what was done. The argument is found at the end of the stimulus, when the currently banned is less harmful than the currently legal.

PT 39 (Taken I/20/2013)

2.10. What strengthens something most is what affirms the conclusion of the argument most. If the fear is unstable foreign policy, something that makes the foreign policy unstable would strengthen it.
2.13. Jenkins wants to send out the researchers when it in Jan and Feb because that will ensure that they will carry out the research in order to make sure the money isn’t wasted. Lurano is willing to take the risk, stating that the weather will likely still be fine later after Jan and Feb. One is willing to play with money in order to increase safety, the other is not.
4.17. Forest fires have a benefit for forests; humans, by controlling forest fires, hinder that use; therefore, humans shouldn’t control forest fires. Assumption? The only reason for hindering it is to promote that benefit. If that assumption can’t be made (say, because we want to protect out home) then the argument is weakened.
4.19. Another assumption: people care about wills. If they don’t, then the argument falls flat.
4.20. Term shifts. Term shifts. Term Shifts. If the stimulus begins with “high education level” and ends with “informed lifestyle choice” then the answer should involve the two, be it through an assumption or a weaken or a strengthen.
4.26. If the stimulus speaks in absolute logic equations, the answer will as well. The trick answers will often throw in variables (may, might, could) to trip you up.

2.5. Consciousness arises from the physical, but physical theories only explain structures and functions of the physical. The argument then switches back to consciousness to say that it cannot be explained by physical theory. The assumption here is obvious: consciousness cannot be explained through physical functions and structures alone. This is the missing link in the assumption that connects stimulus and conclusion.
2.15. Term switch. This is more appropriately an “idea switch”: from imposing meaning to what is said about the critic. The assumption connects the two ideas just as a term switch does.
2.23. The disagreement is here is principally over Roxanne’s claim that the ivory markets are entire independent Salvador disagrees.

I will add more in time, as I go over them. But was wondering what input others would have here?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”