Friend Scored a 140 Twice; What Should I Tell Her?

RhymesLikeDimes

Re: Friend Scored a 140 Twice; What Should I Tell Her?

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:34 pm

For diagnostics, all things being equal (no experience with formal logic, logic games, conditional statements, etc.), the LSAT is very much a test of critical reading ability. I find that people who start out very low (<140) tend to be the "Harry Potter and a couple Goosebumps books" level readers. Unfortunately, reading-level is a lifetime skill that you can't do a whole lot improve in a couple months time (why so many people punt trying to improve on RC).

Let's just be frank: 140 is an awful score. That's a discouraging diagnostic for someone who has zero knowledge of the test beforehand. That your friend twice scored a 140, and supposedly studied hard in between, is a clear sign that they do not belong in LS. She has no idea how to study, a horrible work ethic, and may swim in the shallower end of the intellectual pool. You cannot level-off at 140 without at least two of those three characteristics. It doesn't make her a bad person, but it would make her a disaster at any decent law school.

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:58 pm

dingbat wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:My opinion (which is admittedly unpopular here at TLS), is that it is better to try, and fail ,then it is to have never have tried at all. Most would look at the debt and the odds of employment and forget about it. However, the fact is that some overcome the odds, and while it is rare, it could happen to her.

I agree with the first sentence, but not the third.

I won't advise someone who's 5 foot 4 to hire a basketball coach and put a lot of effort toward getting into the NBA, nor will I advise someone to invest their life savings in lottery tickets.

--LinkRemoved--

How about someone who is 5'3???

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:My opinion (which is admittedly unpopular here at TLS), is that it is better to try, and fail ,then it is to have never have tried at all. Most would look at the debt and the odds of employment and forget about it. However, the fact is that some overcome the odds, and while it is rare, it could happen to her.

I won't advise someone who's 5 foot 4 to hire a basketball coach and put a lot of effort toward getting into the NBA, nor will I advise someone to invest their life savings in lottery tickets.

--LinkRemoved--

I never knew about him - pretty cool I found about him today through this post! I'm 5'5 so this is pretty cool to me that someone even shorter than me made the NBA.

But I still wouldn't go back and try to be an NBA player if I were to choose haha.

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 pm

nugnoy wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:
dingbat wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I never knew about him - pretty cool I found about him today through this post! I'm 5'5 so this is pretty cool to me that someone even shorter than me made the NBA.

But I still wouldn't go back and try to be an NBA player if I were to choose haha.

everyone knows about him and spud webb won the dunk contest, but these people are:

1.) 1 in a million (think valedictorian + luck at a TTTT)
2.) Never made an all star team

Russell Wilson isn't really the best example because height of a quarterback has always been overrated and really only influences 1 thing (balls tipped at the line of scrimmage) which is a minor handicap. A 140 means lacking the ability to find a main point of an argument, comprehend reading, make inferences, etc. I don't think a 165 vs. a 180 will predict law school performance that much but a 140 vs. a 165 - oh yeah. I'd bet on the 165 guy even if he never studied, and the 140 spent 80 hours a week.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:40 pm

nugnoy wrote:I never knew about him - pretty cool I found about him today through this post! I'm 5'5 so this is pretty cool to me that someone even shorter than me made the NBA.

DIDN'T YOU WATCH SPACE JAM?! It was an integral part of my childhood.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”