Applicants down 22%... Think it will continue?

d0rklord

Applicants down 22%... Think it will continue?

Postby d0rklord » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm trying to decide if I should push through and take the Feb 2013 LSAT, despite not being ready... just to get in this cycle. The 22% drop in applicants is rumored to really help those applying/wanting schollys...

That being said... do you think the trend will continue into next cycle?

dowu

Re: Applicants down 22%... Think it will continue?

Postby dowu » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:44 pm

d0rklord wrote:I'm trying to decide if I should push through and take the Feb 2013 LSAT, despite not being ready... just to get in this cycle. The 22% drop in applicants is rumored to really help those applying/wanting schollys...

We cannot predict the future.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:55 pm

We can't predict the future, but I highly doubt the legal market will rebound in a year's time. The 2013 cycle will probably be similar to this one. Maybe slightly better or slightly worse, but not by much.

Percival Jenkins

Postby Percival Jenkins » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Agree with nobody can predict the future. But I think when the numbers are released for how many people took the June LSAT, we might be able to tell what will happen. If the numbers continue to decline in June then I think that applications will continue to decline.

jcccc

Postby jcccc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 am

I hope so

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 am

Taking it in Feb is kind of late for this year. Might as well study as long as you need and take it in June.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 am

However slight the decline or increase in applicants next cycle, neither of those factors should ever outweigh your readiness for, or ability to do well on, the LSAT.

Even a 1 point score increase will almost always be more impactful than the number of applicants in a given cycle.

Study hard and take it in June.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:09 am

nick1 wrote:Agree with nobody can predict the future. But I think when the numbers are released for how many people took the June LSAT, we might be able to tell what will happen. If the numbers continue to decline in June then I think that applications will continue to decline.

I don't think a single test administration has much (any?) predictive power for an entire cycle. This year, June declined by 6 percent. Oct and Dec declined by 16 and 15 percent respectively, but LSAC has applicants down by 22% year-to-date.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:12 pm

jym_dawg wrote:
nick1 wrote:Agree with nobody can predict the future. But I think when the numbers are released for how many people took the June LSAT, we might be able to tell what will happen. If the numbers continue to decline in June then I think that applications will continue to decline.

I don't think a single test administration has much (any?) predictive power for an entire cycle. This year, June declined by 6 percent. Oct and Dec declined by 16 and 15 percent respectively, but LSAC has applicants down by 22% year-to-date.

Really disagree with this, if both February and June have double-digit decreases in test takers that's a pretty significant trend.

With those numbers alone you can expect the cycle to be just as generous as this one as the worst case scenario.

Percival Jenkins

Postby Percival Jenkins » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 pm

scottyc66 wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:

Really disagree with this, if both February and June have double-digit decreases in test takers that's a pretty significant trend.

With those numbers alone you can expect the cycle to be just as generous as this one as the worst case scenario.

I said June because June starts the next cycle. A few retakers that are trying to get in off the waitlist or get scholarships. But if we see any decrease in testakers starting in June, it will also mean less 170s out there applying next cycle. I really dont see test takers sliding in June but all of a sudden increasing in Oct and Dec when those months have taken the biggest slides this year.

sighsigh

Postby sighsigh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:49 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
d0rklord wrote:I'm trying to decide if I should push through and take the Feb 2013 LSAT, despite not being ready... just to get in this cycle. The 22% drop in applicants is rumored to really help those applying/wanting schollys...

Lol was that really necessary to post? :lol:

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:54 pm

sighsigh wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

How else do you get to 5k posts?

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:58 pm

scottyc66 wrote:
sighsigh wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

How else do you get to 5k posts?

Massive contributions to the cleavage thread.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Drake014 wrote:Massive contributions to the cleavage thread.

Shucks, I only TLS while killing time at work so I won't be partaking.

Joeshan520

Postby Joeshan520 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 am

It's really good from an admissions standpoint (by the way best of luck to you all), however it still doesn't take care of the market saturation which is the REAL problem.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”