3 weeks until the test

jwg6x6

3 weeks until the test

Postby jwg6x6 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:16 am

I have taken approximately 12 pts and scored 155 on the first one. And then in the past 6 I have averaged 171. I am very nervous for the actual exam. What tips do you guys have for keeping calm and do you think that I should continue to do pt's every other day? Also do I need to prep for the writing section? And is the PT scores I have been getting usually indicative of what my actual score will be?

Thanks for any suggestions

toothbrush

Re: 3 weeks until the test

Postby toothbrush » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:18 am

jwg6x6 wrote:I have taken approximately 12 pts and scored 155 on the first one. And then in the past 6 I have averaged 171. I am very nervous for the actual exam. What tips do you guys have for keeping calm and do you think that I should continue to do pt's every other day? Also do I need to prep for the writing section? And is the PT scores I have been getting usually indicative of what my actual score will be?

Thanks for any suggestions

I would suggest to begin taking tests under "real test day conditions". If you're taking it at a Uni, take it in a similar room there at the same time of test (around 9-10am) with 3 sections, snack, 2 section. This is to get those good scores under real conditions. Also, some people recommend "learning your body" such as figuring out a good breakfast, when you go to the bathroom, etc.

That's about it for nerves. Just be confident in your ability and act like it's a practice test.

totoro

Postby totoro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:35 am

I have test day nerves too, just try to visualize the exam - there will be a lot of filling in bubbles and paperwork and checking ID's before the test - so just expecting that may help a little. Know that there may be several proctors there who walk around or sit in the front. Definitely visit your test site, and try to take as many unknowns out of the equation as you can. Finally, I don't know if you've been PTing with an experimental section, but that's a key difference on test day... so do not try to guess the experimental.

I would continue to do 2-3 PT's a week with maybe some section drilling before the test. Your PT scores should be pretty indicative, especially if they are within a reasonably tight range (which suggests you have mastered the test to a certain level). However make sure you are being very strict with yourself. Don't give yourself any extra time, use actual bubble sheets to fill in the answers, and don't check the score curve before you finish taking the test (I did this and I was mentally more nervous during the real test, since the worry of having a bad section carries over).

You do not need to prep for the writing section. You can flip to any PT to see what it looks like, but I don't think you need to practice it.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:43 am

This may sound really silly, but whenever I have something stressful coming up be it a test or whatever I've turned to mediation. Ten minutes of it really calms my nerves. As to actual advice on the test, I'll echo what the others in this thread have said try and take as many unknowns out of the equation as possible. Also, if you are practicing in a silent area such as your room go somewhere else. A Starbucks, the library, anywhere just so long as there are people. You don't want to get distracted by other people on test day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”