Retaking old material - progress or familiarity?

the_pakalypse

Retaking old material - progress or familiarity?

Postby the_pakalypse » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:22 pm

I recently took PT54 after a year and I found that the test was significantly easier, especially LR. Even though I didn't remember most of the questions, I still felt as if it was just easier to see the obvious choice and understand the logic behind it.

I was wondering if people could share some of their experiences with retaking, and how they recognized making "true gains".

Familiarity probably played some part in why 54 felt easy. But oddly enough, I completed a new, unused section of LR 65 a few weeks ago and I felt that same ease and swiftness. Has coming back to the LSAT after a while benefited anyone else?

gaud

Re: Retaking old material - progress or familiarity?

Postby gaud » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 pm

You probably remember more than you think you do. That being said, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=150072

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:33 pm

gaud wrote:You probably remember more than you think you do. That being said, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=150072

Retaking tests multiple times was one of the most helpful techniques I found on my way into the 170s.

This goes doubly, or triply so for LG. You may have done a game already at -0, perhaps even several times, but if you spot a new inference that buys you speed, or simply learn to spot the existing inferences more quickly through familiarity, that's a huge benefit.

I didn't go anywhere without a couple of fresh printouts of old games in my pocket. If I had ten minutes free I'd quickly do a game then grade it later at home.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 pm

albanach wrote:
gaud wrote:You probably remember more than you think you do. That being said, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=150072

Retaking tests multiple times was one of the most helpful techniques I found on my way into the 170s.

This goes doubly, or triply so for LG. You may have done a game already at -0, perhaps even several times, but if you spot a new inference that buys you speed, or simply learn to spot the existing inferences more quickly through familiarity, that's a huge benefit.

I didn't go anywhere without a couple of fresh printouts of old games in my pocket. If I had ten minutes free I'd quickly do a game then grade it later at home.

+1 to all of this. Great advice.

totoro

Postby totoro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:23 pm

gaud wrote:
albanach wrote:
gaud wrote:You probably remember more than you think you do. That being said, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=150072

+1 to all of this. Great advice.

Retaking tests definitely has its limitations.. some LG's might be good to repeat if you haven't done them in awhile, but i would debate the usefulness of redoing RC and LR if it hasn't been more than a couple months. With RC you definitely remember the passage topics which helps you read a lot faster than naturally the second time around. With LR you will probably remember at least 5-6 answers per section. I agree with above poster that you probably remember than you think you do, though it can be a good confidence booster to score higher the second time.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:11 pm

totoro wrote:Retaking tests definitely has its limitations.. some LG's might be good to repeat if you haven't done them in awhile, but i would debate the usefulness of redoing RC and LR if it hasn't been more than a couple months. With RC you definitely remember the passage topics which helps you read a lot faster than naturally the second time around. With LR you will probably remember at least 5-6 answers per section. I agree with above poster that you probably remember than you think you do, though it can be a good confidence booster to score higher the second time.

The purpose of rataking tests, for me at least, was not to work on my reading speed. It was to make sure I understood the game inside out. To make sure I could spot the reasoning for a LR question, or to follow the intricicies of an RC passage. Certainly it was most helpful with games, as there may be more than one way to approach a game and it's possible to find quicker strategies, and speed is very important.

It might not work for everyone. It did help me and I'm pretty content with the outcome.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:59 am

One unacknowledged benefit of retaking is that you read far more clearly since you kind of expect the question. Even if you only saw it once, it is still in your head. Your not working as hard to try and recognize it, which makes it easier to read.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”