Suggestions to my scenario

lawschool2014hopeful

Suggestions to my scenario

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Hello All,

I am currently in quite a dilemma on what/how I should approach on studying for the LSAT

I self-studied + late registrations to Velocity course last summer and got a crappy score (159), I know I can do better because I realized I simply function better with a little structure in my life. My self learning abilities aren't the best.

So I want to take a course this summer as a guidance/social discussion in addition to the self-studying for the June or even the October test depending on how the studying goes

So I have 3 options:

1) Kaplan thats near me with 60~ class hrs
2) Princeton thats near me with 35~ class hrs
Last edited by lawschool2014hopeful on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cricketlove00

Re: Suggestions to my scenario

Postby cricketlove00 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:30 pm

Firstly, I don't think there's really any need to relocate. That would be such a waste of time, effort, and of course, money.

Secondly, consider whether you really need to take a course or not. I took Kaplan's online course and it helped me out a little. It gave me the building blocks I needed to get started, but it is no where near what you need to get a dynamite score.

All in all, I think you can get an amazing score by studying yourself with a pencil and some books. It's all about how you study though. If you are the type of person who needs a class environment, then I would say take the course that best fits your schedule and gives you enough class time to make it worth your while.

Keep in mind, you'll always need to self-study to get a good score.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:16 pm

If those are your options, a steady dose of self-study and TLS is just as good if not better.
No Testmasters, Powerscore, Blueprint near you? There are online options for these as well that are prob better than Kaplan or Princeton (I don't know about PS or BP but TM has online videos of Robin explaining questions and concepts rather in depth).

If you think 159 is a crappy score, then you are in the right place and mindset. Get Powerscore books, lots of supplemental sections and tests, and come to TLS with questions. And preptest, preptest, preptest. At least once a week and at least 15 preptests before game time. All with extensive review.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:29 pm

edit
Last edited by lawschool2014hopeful on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:40 pm

jimmierock wrote:Unfortunately I live in Canada and not one of the big cities, so Testmasters/Blueprint/Powerscore are not available, but like I said, I can relocate to Toronto for those courses

As for the self-studying, I will definitely do it on top of the course, but I know I just do better in the class room environment for various of reasons. The teacher-student live interaction helps me learn, and having a group of people physically around me also motivate me to do better.

Every little thing counts

Fair enough, but just know that that may be all it is. Do the cheaper one near you, get that teacher for some good explanations and encouragement, make connections with students so you have study partners/motivation, but still do basically 90% of the work on your own.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:14 pm

bump for more opinions

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:12 am

bummp

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:02 am

I'd say build the discipline to self-study. Courses don't seem to be all that helpful if you aren't disciplined enough to study in your free time anyhow.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:43 am

Like I said I will be doing self-studying...

I am looking for comments on the effect of how much class hours help, whether 35 vs 100 is a huge amount, or whether Princeton and Kaplan is any good.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:09 pm

jimmierock wrote:Like I said I will be doing self-studying...

I am looking for comments on the effect of how much class hours help, whether 35 vs 100 is a huge amount, or whether Princeton and Kaplan is any good.

Not very much (if you can't get disciplined to study for a test that makes as huge of an impact on your life as the LSAT does, then that's not a good sign for lawl skool), doesn't matter, and nope.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14 pm

jimmierock wrote:Hello All,

I am currently in quite a dilemma on what/how I should approach on studying for the LSAT

I self-studied + late registrations to Velocity course last summer and got a crappy score (159), I know I can do better because I simply wasn't disciplined with self-studying, and the social isolation didn't help.

So I want to take a course this summer as a guidance/social discussion in addition to the self-studying for the June or even the October test depending on how the studying goes

So I have 3 options:

1) Kaplan thats near me with 60~ class hrs
2) Princeton thats near me with 35~ class hrs
3) Harvard Ready, small company with instructors that have good reviews, with 100 class hrs. However I would have to relocate for 2 months to take this course (3hr drive from my house)

My question is, what should I do?

Do you think the extra hours + known good instructors are worth the extra hassle I would go through with relocating (no friends/moving stuff/gotta do all the house cleaning + cooking, etc);

Money is not an issue

Are you sure you want to be a lawyer OP? Because if you're unable to discipline yourself to study for the LSAT, I don't think you'll enjoy law school or practicing as a lawyer

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Sigh. I have been a member on this forum long enough to propagate the virtues of self-study (check my join date lol), however, that is not the question I am asking for.

I simply worked better in a classroom, I work better when I can have conversation with people, I work better with when I am discussing a topic with a teacher, is not discipline in the sense that I cannot study 70 hours a week lol, is that I know I am simply more effective when I have those things I have just listed rather than being an isolated study-studier all the time.

I simply know I will work better with slightly more structure? is that "weak to admit"? Does that mean I will fail in my law school because I know I work better in certain scenarios?

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:19 pm

It's not weak to admit at all. Just because someone hates self-studying for the LSAT (did anyone actually enjoy it?) doesn't mean you won't be a good lawyer. At least I hope not.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:40 pm

The Manhattan online course is good

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”