PT taking ordering question

homie1515

PT taking ordering question

Postby homie1515 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Hey everyone,

I had a question about which PT's i should take in what order.
It seems that general consensus around here is to go chronologically from 40-68 (These are the tests that im working with for Full PTs)

But then every now and again i come across a post that vehemently suggests to go from 68-40.

And here is my question: If i have 6 weeks to take all of these PT's after im done with all of my prep (by taking questions by type), what order should i do them in?

Thanks

Theopliske8711

Re: PT taking ordering question

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Save the most recent for the time closest to the LSAT, with some time to perhaps repeat them.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Will do. thanks

cloudhidden

Postby cloudhidden » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:16 pm

You should not do more than three PTs week. With six weeks, that gives you 18 PTs. Use them wisely. I say start with 64-68, then 56-63, and then retake 64-68. The games from around the low 40s to mid 50 are misleadingly easy. Having done all the tests and most of the recent ones multiple times, I realized how important it is to get acquainted with the newest tests early on in order to target specific weaknesses for areas of the test that have shown up in recent history. I think people tend to go linearly from old to new, thinking they will have some upward arc in their scores that will peak at the very end. It is more important to attack your weaknesses than to have the perfect gauge of your progress.

totoro

Postby totoro » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:59 pm

cloudhidden wrote:You should not do more than three PTs week. With six weeks, that gives you 18 PTs. Use them wisely. I say start with 64-68, then 56-63, and then retake 64-68. The games from around the low 40s to mid 50 are misleadingly easy. Having done all the tests and most of the recent ones multiple times, I realized how important it is to get acquainted with the newest tests early on in order to target specific weaknesses for areas of the test that have shown up in recent history. I think people tend to go linearly from old to new, thinking they will have some upward arc in their scores that will peak at the very end. It is more important to attack your weaknesses than to have the perfect gauge of your progress.

This is very good advice. I think you peak around three PT's a week in terms of how much you learn from them.

Also agree that there were some tests given in, 2009-2010 I think? that were very straightforward. I think they use more subtlety in these recent tests and try to throw in a few types of passages that you haven't seen before or LR questions that are worded kind of strangely. At the same time, seeing a range of LSAT tests from early to late is very valuable, though if you don't have much time, I would probably focus on 2011-2012 PT's and do select random ones from earlier.

I had a lot of dipping in my PT scores at the end, because I wasn't very good at the new ones, don't let this worry you too much if it also happens to you. At the end of the day, the actual LSAT you take will probably seem some combination of old and new PT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”