Best tutoring in NYC

MDB408

Best tutoring in NYC

Postby MDB408 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:54 pm

Hey everyone,

My fiancé has decided to pursue a career in law, and of course, I'm doing everything I can to help her in this process. She has signed up for the LSAT this coming June and the preference is to stay in NY for law school or at least the tri-state area (unless she gets into Stanford). She has a 3.73 UGPA and 3.84 grad. Now she's the type that enjoys LG, but I am one who believes that a person can really benefit from a private tutor, especially if your options are NYU and Columbia. We live in midtown and I'd like to know who is the absolute best in the business?? Who can help her get in the mid 170s? I like what I see looking at Manhattan LSAT, but I'll let you guys chime in. Thanks

Elston Gunn

Re: Best tutoring in NYC

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Tell her to self-study for a while first (use the guides here) and then turn to a private tutor when/if necessary. Then, just avoid Kaplan, but the company will matter less, since it's the quality of the individual tutor that counts.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:11 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:self-study

+1

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13 pm

I offer my services

MDB408

Postby MDB408 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:Tell her to self-study for a while first (use the guides here) and then turn to a private tutor when/if necessary. Then, just avoid Kaplan, but the company will matter less, since it's the quality of the individual tutor that counts.

What "guides" are you referring to?

She did purchase all three "bibles" as well as the Manhattan bundle. She literally just started.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:35 am

Last edited by TripTrip on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:26 am

Last edited by LawyerBrah on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03152016 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:41 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 am

I'm an LSAT tutor. I strongly second the advice in this thread to self study before turning to a tutor. A tutor is vastly more useful if you already know what your weak points are. While a tutor can teach you the basics, you can also learn those from strategy guides, TLS, etc.

The one thing that only a tutor can offer is highly personalized advice. Mind you, it might be worth front-loading a few sessions to get yourself on the right foot, checking in occasionally, then ramping up the tutoring sessions once you've got a better sense of where you need help.

Again, speaking as a tutor, it's much easier to be useful when someone says 'Help me with THIS' as opposed to 'help me'. Not that we can't help with the second question, but you're paying heavily for the time, so you should aim to make the most of it.

If you find NYC lessons too expensive, I've done Skype lessons with several people in NYC. Rates in New York are very high compared to everywhere else (I'd love to live in NYC!). Though it sounds like Max is going to give you a pretty good rate.

MDB408

Postby MDB408 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Wow, thanks for the replies, guys. So the revised plan is to self-study until late feb or so, then get a tutor. Thanks for the Skype offer, graeme, but she's not too fond of it, unfortunately. If you can send me a message with info, Max, it would be greatly appreciated. Money is always a factor, but in this case not as much. I just don't want to waste her time and my money with the wrong person.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:18 am

Mod: Do not advertise your services on TLS.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:44 am

Reputable private tutors according to most NYC LSAT students:

- Steve Schwartz ($$$$)
- Laura Hirsch ($$$)
- Larkin Robson ($$)

Reputable private tutors by Company:

- Manhattan LSAT ($$$)
- Powerscore ($$$)
- Tesmasters ($$$)

lawprospie

Postby lawprospie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Reputable private tutors according to most NYC LSAT students:

- Steve Schwartz ($$$$)
- Laura Hirsch ($$$)
- Larkin Robson ($$)

Reputable private tutors by Company:

- Manhattan LSAT ($$$)
- Powerscore ($$$)
- Tesmasters ($$$)

I thought I knew games. The Oct LSAT showed that I didn't. I studied under Laura Hirsch and went -10 on games to -1. And I shouldn't have even gotten that one wrong. My regret is not using her as a tutor for the whole exam (all sections)

MDB408

Postby MDB408 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. Where can I find Steve Schwartz and Laura Hirsch? Are they members here??

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:23 pm

MDB408 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Where can I find Steve Schwartz and Laura Hirsch? Are they members here??

Steve : http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/

Laura: google "Vestry Street Prep"

ptittle

Postby ptittle » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Mod: Do not advertise your services on TLS.

ftw57

Postby ftw57 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:41 am

For those looking for tutors in NYC - I actually tried sessions with all three of the above tutors (Steve Schwartz, Laura Hirsch, Larkin Robson) and this is my personal opinion afterwards (retook the LSAT in June 2013):

I have never used a tutor before, but after frustrations with the teaching methods of Kaplan, I decided to try to get a different, more personalized perspective on my learning. I searched for tutor recommendations in NYC and ended up with three main names - Steve Schwartz, Laura Hirsch, and Larkin. I ended up trying sessions with all three, in that order - not intending on it, but my experiences with the first two made me feel like I had to look for a better tutor.

Steve Schwartz is extremely intelligent and knows the LSAT well - but when it came to teaching the test, I felt like I was watching a video of different "perfect" ways to do the test - which was interesting, but I felt like I was more spectating than learning. With not much time left to go and given that I had taken the test before, I really wanted to KNOW the test, not just be able to parrot something. Steve was very knowledgeable, but I felt that as a teacher (and for the price he charged), I wasn't learning much.

Laura Hirsch - I was very disappointed by my sessions with her. I felt that she was inattentive during the lesson (I caught her working on personal stuff while I was working) and only checked to see if I got the right answer. As someone who really wanted to master the test, I didn't just need an answer book - I wanted someone who could also comment on my working methods to get the answer.

Finally, getting extremely frustrated, I decided to try a session with Larkin. From the first session, I was impressed - as stated in other reviews, the lesson was comfortable and laid back. His way of approaching the LSAT is great and easy for students. He doesn't just check the answers but actually sees your work and comments about ways for improvement. He also helped a lot with my confidence for the test - he was always encouraging and even if I got the answer in a different way than "ideal," he would adapt and we would discuss the pros and cons. He also discusses about how to think about the questions, rather than just blandly showing different "techniques" that can only help so far on the surface. Also, price-wise he also has better hourly rates.

Any issue that I had with the test - and I had quite a few given that I was retaking and panicking - Larkin would address and help me to get back on track. I took the June 2013 LSAT and in less than a month, my score went up. He was helpful and supportive up to before and even now after the LSAT.

Larkin's tutoring style is very personalized and effective - after going through the three tutors, I truly believe the best kind of teacher is one who styles the lessons for the student. Out of the "top 3" or any tutors in NYC, I would definitely say Larkin is the best at that. Highly recommend for anyone taking the LSAT, first time or retaking.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that you weren't satisfied. The last thing I want any student to feel is that he or she isn't learning much. Because I don't see anything in your post history, I can't begin to determine you who are (unless you would like to PM/email me with your name). So, while I'm not able to reflect on anything about my work with you in particular where things didn't meet your expectations, I will talk a bit about my tutoring approach.

I strive to personalize lessons (and the style in which I teach them) for all my students. I genuinely work with them to improve their strategies for attacking the questions with the methodology that's most effective for them.

For example, when a student asks me to explain how to approach a Logic Games question they've already attempted, I will show them a variety of ways to attack the question. I will explain, in detail, the reasoning behind each method of attack. When a student wants to learn how to approach different types of games, and he or she has not seen a particular Logic Game before, I recommend the student begin by attempting to diagram the rules and make inferences with only a little guidance from me. I ask guiding questions with the ultimate goal of encouraging the student to use more efficient methods of approach and arrive at additional inferences through their own reasoning abilities.

Regardless of what I like or want to do, I always want my students to feel comfortable asking me to modify my teaching style (speeding up or slowing down, for example), so that they're learning in the style that works best for them.

While I strive to make each of my students knowledgeable, successful and satisfied, I realize that I can't be all things to all people. My list of successful students over the last several years is extensive and speaks for itself.

For those who are interested, here is a post from a former student of mine with whom I worked for an extended period of time. (He was ultimately accepted to NYU, UPenn, and UChicago and used to be fairly active on TLS.)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=133808&start=25#p4595956

-Steve

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:24 pm

MDB408 wrote:Hey everyone,

My fiancé has decided to pursue a career in law, and of course, I'm doing everything I can to help her in this process. She has signed up for the LSAT this coming June and the preference is to stay in NY for law school or at least the tri-state area (unless she gets into Stanford). She has a 3.73 UGPA and 3.84 grad. Now she's the type that enjoys LG, but I am one who believes that a person can really benefit from a private tutor, especially if your options are NYU and Columbia. We live in midtown and I'd like to know who is the absolute best in the business?? Who can help her get in the mid 170s? I like what I see looking at Manhattan LSAT, but I'll let you guys chime in. Thanks

Feel free to reach out to me (or our office) if you have any questions about our team. Sounds like there's a lot of great options to choose from. Perhaps good to do an hour or two with whomever and compare.

I'm not sure I agree that self-study first is always better than some sort of hybrid--sometimes we find we're having to undo stuff that people have self-studied into their brains. If you do go with us, and do 10+ hours with our team, you get LSAT Interact and all the books and LSATs you need. So, your fiance could lead wit self-study and then fill in holes with your tutor along the way/after.

Anywho, good luck with your search! That's nice that you're helping her out.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:26 pm

ftw57 wrote:For those looking for tutors in NYC - I actually tried sessions with all three of the above tutors (Steve Schwartz, Laura Hirsch, Larkin Robson) and this is my personal opinion afterwards (retook the LSAT in June 2013):

I have never used a tutor before, but after frustrations with the teaching methods of Kaplan, I decided to try to get a different, more personalized perspective on my learning. I searched for tutor recommendations in NYC and ended up with three main names - Steve Schwartz, Laura Hirsch, and Larkin. I ended up trying sessions with all three, in that order - not intending on it, but my experiences with the first two made me feel like I had to look for a better tutor.

Steve Schwartz is extremely intelligent and knows the LSAT well - but when it came to teaching the test, I felt like I was watching a video of different "perfect" ways to do the test - which was interesting, but I felt like I was more spectating than learning. With not much time left to go and given that I had taken the test before, I really wanted to KNOW the test, not just be able to parrot something. Steve was very knowledgeable, but I felt that as a teacher (and for the price he charged), I wasn't learning much.

Laura Hirsch - I was very disappointed by my sessions with her. I felt that she was inattentive during the lesson (I caught her working on personal stuff while I was working) and only checked to see if I got the right answer. As someone who really wanted to master the test, I didn't just need an answer book - I wanted someone who could also comment on my working methods to get the answer.

Finally, getting extremely frustrated, I decided to try a session with Larkin. From the first session, I was impressed - as stated in other reviews, the lesson was comfortable and laid back. His way of approaching the LSAT is great and easy for students. He doesn't just check the answers but actually sees your work and comments about ways for improvement. He also helped a lot with my confidence for the test - he was always encouraging and even if I got the answer in a different way than "ideal," he would adapt and we would discuss the pros and cons. He also discusses about how to think about the questions, rather than just blandly showing different "techniques" that can only help so far on the surface. Also, price-wise he also has better hourly rates.

Any issue that I had with the test - and I had quite a few given that I was retaking and panicking - Larkin would address and help me to get back on track. I took the June 2013 LSAT and in less than a month, my score went up. He was helpful and supportive up to before and even now after the LSAT.

Larkin's tutoring style is very personalized and effective - after going through the three tutors, I truly believe the best kind of teacher is one who styles the lessons for the student. Out of the "top 3" or any tutors in NYC, I would definitely say Larkin is the best at that. Highly recommend for anyone taking the LSAT, first time or retaking.

I agree. Also I think it's pure robbery for any tutor to charge $300/hr. I don't care if that comes with a guaranteed 180, that's ridiculous.

There are way more reasonable options out here in NYC. I have only used Laura and Larkin and prefer Larkin. He is very attentive, approachable and patient. I recommend all fellow students to him. Laura is great with LG though and I have learnt some great tricks for LR from her. I only took her class.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”