3 Weeks until Feb 2013 LSAT; What should I do?

Redbandit

3 Weeks until Feb 2013 LSAT; What should I do?

Postby Redbandit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:22 am

I will be a third time retaker. Sitting for the October '12 and the December '12 LSATs resulted in a 162 and 163, respectively.

The first LSAT I took abroad so I wasn't able to see what areas I struggled in. However, the December LSAT showed me that I really sucked on the section that I took immediately after the break (I missed most of my questions here). The ridiculous thing is that it was LR, and I did quite well on LR1.

My practice tests averaged out to be 172-173 (I had a few outliers: 165, 177. Though, the rest were concentrated in the lower 170's). Clearly, I am doing something wrong.

I was planning on sitting out this cycle, practicing, gaining more work experience, and then applying next cycle. However, I was recently talked into sitting for the February exam, and settling with whatever happens.

How do I realize the practice scores? These were conducted in test environments-- the only differences were the fact that they didn't count and I didn't have proctors randomly hovering around.

I am thinking about getting a private tutor or taking a class. This search has proven to be a little difficult so far. I am abroad right now, and won't be back in the states until close to the test date. Furthermore, it doesn't seem like any of the in-person classes fit into this tight schedule. As a result, I have been looking at online resources. The thing is, I think that I really need someone to sit down with me and break down where the disconnect is coming from. I don't understand what happens between taking the practice tests and sitting for the actual LSAT.

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions about online 1-on-1 tutoring/classes. I think that I just need some external guidance.

Note: all of my studying, up to this point, has been individual.

Redbandit

Re: 3 Weeks until Feb 2013 LSAT; What should I do?

Postby Redbandit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:36 am

What do you guys recommend to get over the disconnect? What courses/tutoring could I do within this time frame?

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:07 am

Pretty sure Powerscore does one on one online tutoring.
Best of luck

dusters

Postby dusters » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Tutor sounds like your best option to me.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Redbandit wrote:I was planning on sitting out this cycle, practicing, gaining more work experience, and then applying next cycle. However, I was recently talked into sitting for the February exam, and settling with whatever happens.

Redbandit wrote:settling.

Redbandit wrote:settling.

This is not the proper attitude to have, not to mention even with a Feb. score your best bet is to wait a cycle and apply early next cycle to increase chances of acceptance and $$. Remember this is your last chance to take the test for two years so you need to make it count.

From your practice scores it seems you have learned the test, have you taken any practice tests at a place like Starbucks or a public library? This could help since there will be far more distractions there than in a testing center so if you can stay focussed and prefrom it could help (I did something like this.)

While I am not sure waiting until June will help your score, I do think waiting a cycle will help your overall prospects. And remeber, the Feb test isn't reported so you'll never be able to review your test.

Redbandit

Postby Redbandit » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:00 am

Icculus wrote:
This is not the proper attitude to have, not to mention even with a Feb. score your best bet is to wait a cycle and apply early next cycle to increase chances of acceptance and $$. Remember this is your last chance to take the test for two years so you need to make it count.

From your practice scores it seems you have learned the test, have you taken any practice tests at a place like Starbucks or a public library? This could help since there will be far more distractions there than in a testing center so if you can stay focussed and prefrom it could help (I did something like this.)

While I am not sure waiting until June will help your score, I do think waiting a cycle will help your overall prospects. And remeber, the Feb test isn't reported so you'll never be able to review your test.

Thank you for your advice. I definitely appreciate it.

I have actually taken practice tests all over the place: once on an airplane, at a mall, and during construction. It's pretty frustrating that despite making sure that I can take the test "anywhere," I still can't really perform on the real thing.

What did you do to make sure that your score represented your practice tests?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Redbandit wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Thank you for your advice. I definitely appreciate it.

I have actually taken practice tests all over the place: once on an airplane, at a mall, and during construction. It's pretty frustrating that despite making sure that I can take the test "anywhere," I still can't really perform on the real thing.

What did you do to make sure that your score represented your practice tests?

Honestly, I have no idea why I performed like I did. Sometimes it's just luck. I was the stained glass test and unlike some other people I just got that game and ended up going -2 on the whole games section. I also have a history of performing well on standardized tests. Some people think they are bad testers, I am a good test taker and I think knowing that made me less stressed on test day.

I will also say I sat for three tests. The first with minimal study time, then I found TLS. The second I was sick as a dog, and the thrid everything just seemed to come together.

TL;DR: I think the fact that I had a low stress level going in helped tremendously since it cuts down on careless mistakes and it prevents one from overthinking answers.

Redbandit

Postby Redbandit » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 am

Thanks for the advice, Icculus.

I think that I am going to hire a tutor. At the very least, they would be able to boost my comfort with actually sitting for the test.

What do you guys think about "Next Step Test Prep?"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”