First Cold Diagnostic - Kaplan Online

albanach

Re: First Cold Diagnostic - Kaplan Online

Postby albanach » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Bobnoxious wrote:2 reasons

1) I don't trust my ability to manage my time well enough to do it on my own. I work 40+ hours a week in our family business, go to school full-time, practice a lot for the mock trial team, and have a wife, kids, and a house to deal with. 2) I generally enjoy and get a lot out of what's being taught in a classroom environment.

But your words are heartening, for sure. I'd love to be able to consistently score LG: -2 to -3 , LR: -2 to -4 (x2), and RC -2 to -4

I'm a non-trad. I know the conflicting pressures on time.

I'd still say hold off on signing up for a course. And I took a course.

Pencil in time starting as soon as possible. You go to Starbucks or the public library and study of an evening. Each weekend you go and take a past test.

Get all the past tests form somewhere like Cambridge LSAT. Work from copies so you can repeat as necessary.

When you start doing tests, you do them untimed. Accuracy comes first, then speed.

For logic games, you should always have one or two games in your pocket that you have done before on an old test. Whenever you have 10 minutes spare, you can repeat a game. You'll dramatically improve your ability to spot inferences and improve your speed on future games.

Give it a couple of months. See where your score is. Then sign up for a course if you need it, or a tutor if you just need to sharpen some areas.

Be warned that many courses aim to end just a week or two before test day. You should really be aiming for an exceptional score. Taking a course that ends right before the test doesn't allow you enough time to make sure you yourself are ready to go.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Most people on these forums really dislike Kaplan. I took the Kaplan online course and I learned a lot... however, I don't think they give you the best results score wise.

But don't get down. My cold diagnostic was 154 and I'm up in the 160's now. If you ARE doing Kaplan, just make sure you take their methods and practice them on your own. Simply doing their classes isn't enough.

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:05 pm

That sounds promising.

Nope, not taking Kaplan. I heard too many bad reviews locally.

I signed up for the PowerScore full course because I heard a lot of good things about them on this forum. My only concern is that I think this is the first local course being taught by PowerScore and I know I'm risking having a great LSAT test-taker but poor instructor as the teacher. Because I am going to be doing some (hopefully a lot) of studying on my own I'm hoping to minimize that risk to some degree.

Thanks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”