. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Kharon542

New

Post by Kharon542 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:32 pm

Last edited by Kharon542 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Re: Logic Games Help

Post by TripTrip » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:15 am

Josh4737 wrote:Hey everyone,
I've been having a little trouble with the Logic Games section recently. I've been going through the Prep Tests for 29-38 games sections. Every time I take the test I get a few of the questions wrong (usually divided up between multiple games, between 3-6 wrong total). Other times I will run out of time because I got caught on a question or specific game. After I take the test I review it. I do this by retaking the questions I got wrong and seeing if I get them correct. Usually the answers are really obvious and I get them within 30 seconds (when I took them before they would either be wrong or have taken upwards of 2 minutes.) I was wondering how I could fix this. Any help would be appreciated. This has happened on other sections of the prep tests, but not with as much frequency.
Slow down, practice, and focus on method.

Logic games are masterable, but it takes knowing how to work the problems, not just going through hundreds of them.

kylemba

New

Post by kylemba » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:43 am

If you're running out of time I found it helpful to skip the "could be true" questions and come back to them after I finished all of the other questions for the game. Usually the other questions will make the could be trues make more sense. I went -3 in December with 5mins remaining so I stand by the strategy. Also skip questions that you don't immediately see a correct answer. As before, these will usually make sense after you've done a few more questions.

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:50 am

My advice for timing is do local questions first. You know the ones that say things like "If X is 3rd then C is blank." It's a lot easier to work a problem when you have a starting point and it will make the others a bit easier.

Kharon542

New

Post by Kharon542 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks for your help, I'll work on that and see how it goes

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:45 am

A good setup is key. As far as speed goes, mastering some setups will make you faster on future setups. I got much better at games in two ways:

* I taught the same game to multiple students, and learned the optimal method for each game.
* I drew diagrams for all games in LSATs 29-38 for my book, Hacking the LSAT. This forced me to get even better at viewing the ideal path.

Quality is more important than quantity. I've seen students do every logic game, and learn very little. You're much better off repeating games, and analyzing how you could do them more quickly. Those skills will transfer to new games, I promise.

This video from 7Sage talks about how to get a better score by repeating games: http://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-s ... gic-games/

I would say you shouldn't aim simply to memorize the inferences. Instead, space out the repetition a bit so that when you repeat the game you know and understand the inferences and can solve the game quickly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”