Should I even consider law school? 19 y/o, 147 diagnostic

lloydbraun

Should I even consider law school? 19 y/o, 147 diagnostic

Postby lloydbraun » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:53 am

Today I took my first timed test, though, over the past fortnight I have taken 4 tests at my own pace, usually checking the answers every 5 or so question. I have also done 8 logic games sections on top of the 4 tests.

I feel extremely discouraged by the results, and while I feel as though I can make an improvement, I’m unsure if I can get my score up to the 165-172 range
LG -12, LR -11, LR -9, RC -17

My biggest problem is reading comprehension. I was a lazy student who read only when it was absolutely necessary, and as a result I suffer tremendously in this area. I am very slow and often struggle to make it to the third passage within 35 minutes, and the questions I do manage to answer are seldom right. I feel that because I lack the innate abilities required for this section my only hope is to drastically improve all other sections, which is a daunting task in itself. I try to read for at least an hour a day, really paying attention to what I am reading, trying to visualize and remember the preceding sentences and paragraphs I have read, and making sure I understand what is being said. I feel this is helping me, but I am unsure if I will be able to make the leaps and bounds required for me to just do ok at this section.

The logic reasoning section also causes me great trouble. I never have any confidence in my answers and always fail to answer the last 3-6 questions. I find myself reading the questions over and over without really comprehending them, and losing focus very quickly. I believe I can improve this section, but to cut 2/3rds of my errors out seems unrealistic.

I feel I have made progress with logic games, going from being unable to answer questions with an unlimited amount of time to being able to answer most sections within 15-20minutes with 95-100% accuracy. However, some LG sections that may seem rather innocuous cause me a great deal of difficulty.

Each of the following could be true EXCEPT:
(A) H is delivered later than K.
(B) J is delivered later than G.
(C) L is delivered later than O.
(D) M is delivered later than L.
(E) N is delivered later than H.

Questions such as this don’t usually cause me much trouble; however, when there are 7-8 places and a large number of variables, or subjects that act as variables only in certain circumstance, I find myself unable to see any immediate rules or patterns, and end up writing out each scenario till I find the correct answer—horribly inefficient. I know I must be doing something wrong as I don’t have this problem with other sections. I have made a start on the Logic Games Bible, so maybe this will help me. I also fear I may hit a plateau with this section and never be able to attain a decent score.

I’m curious to know if there is anyone else who has been in a position similar to mine, and what you did to improve, and if there is a realistic chance of going from 147 to 165-170.

I intend to spend several years preparing for the LSAT, so my worry is the limit of my potential rather than how soon I can achieve it.

I realize by searching these forums I could have found some answers to my questions, though, I feel particularly disillusioned and any help, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

rad lulz

Re: Should I even consider law school? 19 y/o, 147 diagnostic

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:54 am

You're 19. Get a life.

epiphinous7

Postby epiphinous7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:12 am

Dont hurt yourself.
Come back when your 21-22.

rouser

Postby rouser » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:17 am

lloydbraun wrote:over the past fortnight I have taken 4 tests at my own pace

I know right!? this past fortnight was like a wild stallion!

lloydbraun

Postby lloydbraun » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:24 am

All right. I see how it is.

Any help or information would be gratefully appreciated from those who are willing to help.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:11 am

Don't go to law school unless you can drink. You'll need it.

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:13 am

rouser wrote:
lloydbraun wrote:over the past fortnight I have taken 4 tests at my own pace

I know right!? this past fortnight was like a wild stallion!

Hilarious.

OP, 147 diagnostic doesn't mean jack. You can improve if you put the time in.

I went from a 148 diagnostic in June and eventually scored a 169 in December. While a 169 is not the greatest score, it is an improvement that I am proud of.

I used the a variant of PithyPike's study guide and used Manhattan LSAT's books.

In the mean time, live your life (hey ayyy ay ayyy ayyy) and tackle the LSAT when you are ready to apply.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:45 am

You can improve significantly from a 147 diagnostic with good prep.

If you want to improve your reading comp, take a few seminars in college where you'll read essays and articles, discuss and analyze them and then write about them. I always found it difficult to read for pleasure during school, but at least do so over breaks. The LSAT gurus on here can probably recommend a few good publications that would be good specifically for LSAT prep (I think articles in The Economist are stylistically similar to RC passages, for example).

However, if you hate reading, law probably isn't the best career for you.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 am

I was a lazy student who read only when it was absolutely necessary, and as a result I suffer tremendously in this area.

This is the first thing you need to address. Work ethic is the most important thing you can have as a law student and lawyer. Your UG GPA will also improve as a result, bettering your admissions chances.

I intend to spend several years preparing for the LSAT, so my worry is the limit of my potential rather than how soon I can achieve it.

Don't do this. If you do decide to go straight through (and I and many others recommend taking at least a year off between college and law school), take the LSAT a year or so before you apply and start studying 6-9 months earlier. There is no need to spend years on the LSAT, and that time is better spent on, you know, actually going to college.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:12 am

Read more :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”