Studying Section By Section

Njdeh

Studying Section By Section

Postby Njdeh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:10 pm

I was wondering if anyone has successfully studied the LSAT section by section instead of doing it all together at the same time? Is this a bad idea?

manofjustice

Re: Studying Section By Section

Postby manofjustice » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Njdeh wrote:I was wondering if anyone has successfully studied the LSAT section by section instead of doing it all together at the same time? Is this a bad idea?

I did it. Spectacular success.

Njdeh

Postby Njdeh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:35 pm

manofjustice wrote:
Njdeh wrote:I was wondering if anyone has successfully studied the LSAT section by section instead of doing it all together at the same time? Is this a bad idea?

I did it. Spectacular success.

Sarcasm?

totoro

Postby totoro » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, but I think targeted studying definitely contributed to helping me pull off 170+ on a retake. I would go by Manhattan's philosophy of starting with targeted review and then moving onto mixed review.

The first part of your study should mostly involve mastering each of the the sections separately since they require different skills. I would buy books that focus just on LG or just on LR to help you do this. I would even break LR down further into the different types of LR questions, and drill those. Cambridge sells a PDF that's very helpful for drilling each LR question type.

Then second part of your study should focus mainly on taking full PT's so you can familiarize yourself with the tests, gain confidence, and master your timing strategy.

To me this seems to be the most effective way to study and really master the test.
Last edited by totoro on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Njdeh

Postby Njdeh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. That's what I meant, to first finish LG then LR then RC or in any order really. Thanks for sharing your experience!

totoro

Postby totoro » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:36 pm

No problem :) There are a few study guides people have posted on this site with similar strategies, if you look around, that I think have been effective for most people. One thing I would say though is that if you have not done any LSAT stuff yet, I would first read through a general book just to give you an overview of what the test looks like (I read Princeton Review 2012 LSAT), I don't think it helps you raise your score at all but it's good to know the big picture of this test. You could also take a couple practice tests to get a feel for the LSAT. Then I would jump into mostly studying LR/LG/CR, reading books, and doing lots of drills, before coming back to full practice tests. You can PM me if you need specific book suggestions... I read a lot of books since I invested around 500+ hours into this lol.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”