Please Critique My LSAT Plan/Schedule

bdeans91

Please Critique My LSAT Plan/Schedule

Postby bdeans91 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:37 pm

I based an LSAT prep off of the thread of people who scored really well (175-180). I am going to self-prep. I'm probably going to go to a school in Canada but I want to really have every option available and ace this exam, so I am setting my standards to that of my US counterparts.

Please critique and also let me know if you think I should schedule more specific things in on my "review days" (the things on day 2 and 4 most weeks). Also let me know if you think I am doing a good job in leading the newest exams up to the real exam date. I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

I understand a perfect plan is probably not possible, but I want my plan to be good enough to get a stellar score in the mid- to high-170s.

LSAT Prep Schedule

1. Practice tests must resemble the real test as much as possible: no breaks after you complete the section (unless it is the break taken on exam day → find this out but I think it is 3 sections back-to-back, 15 minute break, 2 sections completion), only mark when you are done the WHOLE exam.
a. Also make sure you bubble in the answers, because this counts as time… very important!
b. Do not cut yourself any slack on practice tests without necessarily realizing it. (For instance, some people take long breaks between sections, don’t use a bubble sheet, fudge the section timing, or never practice with an experimental section.)
c. Might want to invest in the LSAT Proctor DVD or an .mp3 from online when doing the tests.
d. Mechanics: keep scantron as close as possible to the booklet, use a dull pencil, flip pages quickly, do not look at stuff other than the test…
2. After taking an exam, you want to immediately grade it and briefly review it (both your mistakes and close calls). You also want to log the score.
a. Review what you got wrong (all!) or questions that you found difficult/uncertain
b. Never be satisfied with good/great scores when practicing, and always look carefully at all mistakes made on a prep test.
c. While doing the test, mark questions you find particularly difficult
d. When you complete a test, record your score and the number you got right in each section on an Excel Spreadsheet.
e. Go over why you struggled on these questions, and do this review immediately after writing the exam.
f. Also, you can now revisit these questions in the future (this is part of mistake review).
g. Then, focus studying more on this section you did poorly on (either by re-doing a section from an older test or by reviewing in the Power Score bible).
3. Every time you finish an exam, you want to save that exam in a folder, label that file folder, and put it in a file rack. Now you can go back to the exact exam you wrote with the markings and all.
4. Days titled “Exam mistakes review, logic games quizzing/review, and book study” involve a minimum of 90 minutes study, and up to 3-4 hours study depending on how much of a flow state you get into.
a. Focus studying more on sections you did poorly on (either by re-doing a section from an older test or by reviewing in the Power Score bible).
b. Don’t only focus on what you got wrong, but also become stronger on your strengths so that you will have more time during the test to do harder questions
5. When you need to begin reviewing exams, look into the file under Prep Plans/Advice titled “Common Threads of LSAT Success”, “Specific Review Advice”, and “Reviewing Mistakes and Avoiding Pitfalls”.
6. Read through the “Reviewing Mistakes and Avoiding Pitfalls” document on a regular basis before writing exams.

Step 1 (Diagnostic): Diagnostic test 100% cold, then mark it, etc… check out weaknesses…

Step 2 (Master the material): For about 2-3 hours per day, go through LGB and LRB, doing practice questions in them, and go through them cover-to-cover. Focus on one section at a time (games first, reasoning next, comprehension final). Don’t undermine RC (use Master the LSAT book for this). Do practice tests during this period, but only sparingly (1-2 per week)

Step 3 (Test and review, ad nauseum): After completing the books, start going hardcore through practice exams, using the books of choice as references to help improve weak spots. Use strict timing, bubble sheets, and added experimental sections. Also compiling games and logical reasoning problems along with RC sections and doing these individually on off-days. Try to take the practice tests at the time of day that you will take the actual test (12:30 PM for the June 2013 administration).

Week 1 (January 21 – January 27)

• Day 1: Diagnostic Exam (Prep Test #30), under normal conditions (regular time of 35 minutes, same pencils and bubble sheets as exam days).
• Day 2: Maybe some more review of diagnostic exam. Reading through LG Bible then LR Bible when you’re done.
• Day 3: Reading through LG Bible then LR Bible when you’re done.
• Day 4: Reading through LG Bible then LR Bible when you’re done.

Week 2 (January 28 – February 3)

• Day 1: PT#31 under normal conditions
• Day 2: Review PT#31. Reading through LG Bible then LR Bible when you’re done.

Week 3 (February 4 – February 10)

• Day 1: PT#32 under normal conditions
• Day 2: Review PT#32. Reading through LG Bible then LR Bible when you’re done.

Week 4 (February 11 – February 17)

• Day 1: PT#33 under normal conditions
• Day 2: Review PT#33. Reading through LG Bible then LR Bible when you’re done.

By this point you should have completed initial readings of the respective LG and LR Bibles. If you are not done, then squeeze them into the “exam mistakes review, logic games quizzing/review, and book study” days.

Also by this point you should have your hands on PT#68 (which you have on backorder), the December 2012 exam.

Week 5 (February 18 – February 24)

• Day 1: PT#34 under regularly timed conditions
• Day 2: Exam mistakes review, logic games quizzing/review, and book study
• Day 3: PT#35 under regularly timed conditions
• Day 4: Exam mistakes review, logic games quizzing/review, and book study

Week 6 (February 25 – March 3)

• Day 1: PT#36 under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: PT#37 under regularly timed conditions

Week 7 (March 4 – March 10)

• Day 1: PT#38 under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: PT#43 under regularly timed conditions

Week 8 (March 11 – March 17)

• Day 1: PT#44 under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: PT#45 under regularly timed conditions

Become cognizant of exam registration.

Week 9 (March 18 – March 24)

• Day 1: PT#46 under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: PT#47 under regularly timed conditions

Week 10 (March 25 – March 31) – month leading up to neurobiology final, so lighter load

• Day 1: PT#48 under quick time conditions (5 minutes less per section)
• Day 3: PT#49 under regularly timed conditions

Week 11 (April 1 – April 7) – month leading up to neurobiology final, so lighter load

• Day 1: Exam mistakes review, logic games quizzing/review, and book study
• Day 2: PT#50 under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: Exam mistakes review, logic games quizzing/review, and book study

Week 12 (April 8 – April 14) – month leading up to neurobiology final, so lighter load

• Day 1: PT#51 under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: PT#52 under quick time conditions (5 minutes less per section)

Probably register for your exam by now.

Week 13 (April 15 – April 21) – month leading up to neurobiology final, so lighter load

• Day 1: Exam mistakes review, logic games quizzing/review, and book study
• Day 2: PT#53 under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: Exam mistakes review, logic games quizzing/review, and book study

Week 14 (April 22 – April 28)

• Day 1: PT #54/25 8-section exam (both new) under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: PT#55 under regularly timed conditions
• Day 5 (optional): Further exam mistakes review, logic games quizzing/review, and book study. Also have all of PT#26-30 and sections of PT#19-25 to play with.

Week 15 (April 29 – May 5)

• Day 1: PT#56/24 5-section exam (5th section pulled from older exam) under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: PT#57 in distracting situation, under quick time conditions (5 minutes less per section)
• Day 5 (optional): Further exam mistakes review, logic games quizzing/review, and book study. Also have all of PT#26-30 and sections of PT#19-25 to play with.

Mandatory to be registered by now (THE LATEST!!!).

Week 16 (May 6 – May 12)

• Day 1: PT#58/23 8-section exam (both new) under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: PT#59 under quick time conditions (5 minutes less per section)

Week 17 (May 13 – May 19)

• Day 1: PT#60/22 5-section exam (5th section pulled from older exam) under quick time conditions (5 minutes less per section)
• Day 3: PT#61 in distracting situation, under regularly timed conditions

Week 18 (May 20 – May 26)

• Day 1: PT#62/21 8-section exam (both new) under quick time conditions (5 minutes less per section)
• Day 3: PT#63 under regularly timed conditions

Week 19 (May 27 – June 2)

• Day 1: PT#64/20 5-section exam (5th section pulled from older exam) under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: PT#65 under regularly timed conditions

Week 20 (June 3 – June 9)

• Day 1: PT#66/19 8-section exam (both new) under regularly timed conditions
• Day 3: PT#67 under quick conditions (5 minutes less per section)
• Day 5 (day before the exam): PT#68 under regular conditions with immediate review.

Test Day: June 10 @ 12:30 PM

• Avoid overly stressing yourself or it can effect your score
• Make sure you know all of the regulations
• Prepare your clear plastic bag with materials 2-3 days before the test, so you are ready the night before and morning of
• Leading up to test day, get used to taking the test at the same time you will be taking it on the test day
• Being ready well ahead of time so as to lower stress/anxiety
• Getting there early
• Mechanics: keep scantron as close as possible to the booklet, use a dull pencil, flip pages quickly, do not look at stuff other than the test…

With this plan you end up sitting down for 35 administrations of exams and end up doing ~40-41 total exams. If you end up using PTs #26-30 this could put you at 45 total exams. But 35 should be the minimum standard.

Re: Please Critique My LSAT Plan/Schedule

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:55 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

cause8191

Postby cause8191 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:29 pm

I made a similar schedule that focused primarily on PTs, but then I realized I would just be wasting material, sapping my confidence, getting burned out before Valentine's Day, and just wanting to take PTs all the time without really understanding. I think you should refrain from taking any PTs until you have completely finished the bibles and other study guides, have drilled each question type relentlessly, and have a strategy. I am also very compelled to just take a PT as often as I can, but that would do more harm than good, as I stated above. From now until at least mid-February/early March, I am only drilling, working through the study guides, and not worrying about time until I can find correct answers untimed. Deconstruct arguments - spend hours agonizing over what they say, imply, how they are structured - know what every possible kind of rule in an LG means, go through RC passages sorting out all the info, etc.

If you're concerned about taking every PT and seeing every LSAT question from the last 20 years or so, don't be. Drill from early PTs now and take more recent full PTs as time progress. This takes care of all of them.

Also, it could be just me, but having a schedule that tells me specifically what I must do everyday, when I must do it, and how long I must spend doing it for the next five months would inhibit me from learning the material constructively because its monotony would wear me out and it would be so easy to stop following it. Here is my plan until March: work through the bibles and drill, drill, drill - period. I will set it and adjust it as I see fit. After March, I will take all PTs over 40 and review ALL questions in DETAIL. But I'm not worried about that right now.

Good luck.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:41 pm

yeah this plan is bumfuck retarded. you're gonna burn yourself out by taking that many PTs.

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Go through the PowerScore books before putting all that time into PT's

Seems silly to take a practice exam than read a few chapters every day

Get all the concepts, rules, theories, etc, down first.

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Use LSATQA.com to record your preptests and individual sections, it's free.

bdeans91

Postby bdeans91 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:43 am

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Particularly Max and Cause.

What exactly is meant by "drilling"? Is this practicing individual games without taking the full test?

Basically, I should read the bibles while drilling for the first few months, then use the final 2-2.5 months for 3 practice exams per week?

bdeans91

Postby bdeans91 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Check out my new plan guys. I would end up doing 25 full PTs in the 2 months leading to the exam, plus superprep A-C with PithyPike's plan.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_k2oi9zneliWDJCYndtQnFWaGc/edit

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:17 pm

I would take the day before your exam off. Don't do a PT right before. If you must, drill some LG sections or whatever.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”