Ending LR and RC with 10 minutes to spare. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
eric922

Bronze

Ending LR and RC with 10 minutes to spare.

Post by eric922 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:12 am

I always seem to end the LR and RC sections with about 10 minutes to spare. I also seem to always miss anywhere from 1-3. Do you all have any tips to help me increase my accuracy a bit?

griffin.811

Bronze

Re: Ending LR and RC with 10 minutes to spare.

Post by griffin.811 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 am

eric922 wrote:I always seem to end the LR and RC sections with about 10 minutes to spare. I also seem to always miss anywhere from 1-3. Do you all have any tips to help me increase my accuracy a bit?
I should be asking you for tips! that's really good, but I know the feeling of still wanting to improve.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:21 am

eric922 wrote:I always seem to end the LR and RC sections with about 10 minutes to spare. I also seem to always miss anywhere from 1-3. Do you all have any tips to help me increase my accuracy a bit?
I found that I always lost questions in the same 'zone' on each LR section. What I did was identify the zone (for me it was q12-18) and forced myself to slow the hell down. I just thought "you have plenty of time, slow down" and yeah. See how that works. If you are missing random questions all over the place I guess that wouldn't apply.

For RC identify the types you lose and then when you encounter one of that type FIND the answer if that's possible. For me logic function q's were difficult and strengthen / weaken.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:24 am

toothbrush wrote:slow the hell down
Finishing with 5 extra minutes is good. Finishing with 10 extra (especially on RC) is a bit excessive.

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:31 am

griffin.811 wrote:
I should be asking you for tips! that's really good, but I know the feeling of still wanting to improve.
Get the Powerscore LR Bible. I was consistently missing 5-10 and I got it down to 1-3 after using it. I'm also buying the Manhattan guide to see if they have any tips for that might help me grab those extra points. I've heard their "core" strategy is really good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:40 am

How on earth are you finishing RC w/ 10 minutes to spare and getting those sorts of scores? Do you just blaze through the passage? Sincerely jealous. My RC timing issue is the most consistent killer of my scores..

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:How on earth are you finishing RC w/ 10 minutes to spare and getting those sorts of scores? Do you just blaze through the passage? Sincerely jealous. My RC timing issue is the most consistent killer of my scores..
Honestly I'm not sure how I'm doing it. I've been a very heavy reader since childhood though so that may have something to do with it. If it makes you feel any better LG are still the bane of my existence.

cause8191

New

Post by cause8191 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 am

I should retire from this site :cry:

ws81086n

Bronze

Post by ws81086n » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 am

You might try circling/remembering questions that you are not 100% sure of, and then methodically working back through all of them. Or just watching out for careless mistakes. I gotta say, it's very odd that you miss as many as 3 if you can whip through a section that fast (though obviously 3 is a solid performance).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:23 am

Dude, that's pretty awesome, especially for RC (it's my worst section). For LR, I usually finish with about 5 minutes to spare. What I do is dot questions for which the correct answer didn't jump out at me. That is, if after eliminating obviously incorrect answers I'm left with 2 strong competing choices, I'll choose 1 and put a dot outside (to the right) of the box/bubbles. I then use my extra 5 minutes to go over as many as I can in reverse order.

gobosox

Bronze

Post by gobosox » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:20 am

I used to have the same exact issue with LR.

I read 1776's LSAT guide (see the main links page in the forum) and it persuaded me to slow down a lot more. Read it and I think it will help.

I wasn't missing questions I necessarily thought were hard-- I was missing ones I was moving too quickly on. As a result of slowing down everywhere, my last 3 LRs I've missed 1. Slowing down only gave me an extra 5 minutes or so, but I now spend the extra time really checking hard questions.

Side note: Anyone who is struggling on LR, try completing the sections in 25 minutes. That drill alone will help you when you go back to 35 minutes. Like a baseball player who swings a weighted bat...

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:43 pm

I would be happy to finish RC with 2 mins to spare... or just one. That is brutal for me. 10? Jesus!

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:51 pm

This happened to me on my diagnostic (except I missed 2-3). Now I use a system where I star questions I'm significantly unsure of and circle questions I'm just a little unsure of; I first go through the section quickly, and afterward use the extra time to go back over the marked questions--starred then circled ones.

ETA: I'm a very heavy reader as well and a Philosophy major to boot, so that helped with my diagnostic.
Last edited by suralin on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mik Ekim

Bronze

Post by Mik Ekim » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Make sure that for every question, you see clear reasons for why the four wrong choices are wrong, and you see why the right answer is right. If you have the time, thinking about this as two distinct steps can really help with accuracy.

40InchVert

New

Post by 40InchVert » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:58 pm

If you have that much time to spare, I suggest marking down throughout the test the ones that you aren't 100% sure off so that you could come back to work on it again.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Slowing down is the correct answer. I was in a similar boat with LR and slowing down helped me miss only 1 LR on the whole exam.

Edit: if you're this fast, do you have ADD? Because adderall might help you slow down in that case. (This sounds ridiculous but this is my situation.)

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:10 pm

ws81086n wrote:You might try circling/remembering questions that you are not 100% sure of, and then methodically working back through all of them. Or just watching out for careless mistakes. I gotta say, it's very odd that you miss as many as 3 if you can whip through a section that fast (though obviously 3 is a solid performance).
This. I finished 2 of my LRs with 10 minutes left in October (one was experimental but oh well) and went back and checked them like this. I think I recall changing one or two answers and them ending up being right.

Is there a pattern in the ones you've missed, such as certain recurring question types? Drilling might help.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bitsy

Bronze

Post by bitsy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:39 pm

i think sabs and ws are right on the money in terms of checking your work. i also finished sections ~10 mins early, so i only have one thing to add--keep working!! i was so tempted to put down my pencil and flip to the answers once i finished a section, but that won't be available on test day. learn how to use your extra time now. if there's a certain q type you usually struggle with, double check those suckers.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 am

eric922 wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:
Get the Powerscore LR Bible. I was consistently missing 5-10 and I got it down to 1-3 after using it. I'm also buying the Manhattan guide to see if they have any tips for that might help me grab those extra points. I've heard their "core" strategy is really good.
I actually have both, only read the Manhattan LR, but I'll take a look at Powerscore soon. Mahnattan's core method in my opinion is a very sound repeatable process, I just need to keep working to master it. I find I have a difficult time keeping the core in my mind the way they suggest, especially for conclusions with more than one premise. I think this will get better with time though.

Let me know what works for you when you get the core strategy down (in terms of keeping the core organized mentally)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”