Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby longlivetheking » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:40 pm

So i've been destroying LR's with an average of -0, but i've done the test papers already. did i really improve, or am i just familiar with the questions

i don't deny that some of the questions i remember, but for 90% of the questions i can accurately and confidently say why the answer choices are wrong, and for the 10% that i'm not super sure i'm 100% sure of an answer which turned out to be correct.

not sure if able to boost confidence or should not read too much into it.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby dowu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:45 pm

longlivetheking wrote:So i've been destroying LR's with an average of -0, but i've done the test papers already. did i really improve, or am i just familiar with the questions

i don't deny that some of the questions i remember, but for 90% of the questions i can accurately and confidently say why the answer choices are wrong, and for the 10% that i'm not super sure i'm 100% sure of an answer which turned out to be correct.

not sure if able to boost confidence or should not read too much into it.

What was your average before? How long ago did you see these tests?

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby longlivetheking » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:48 pm

averaged bout -3 or -4 per LR. i know this might sound delusional but i use manhattan's core process and it made me see the questions really differently. some of the answers are just PLAIN wrong when u purely consider the core of the argument. its just noise. i think thats really how i 'improved' so much?

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby dowu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:15 pm

longlivetheking wrote:averaged bout -3 or -4 per LR. i know this might sound delusional but i use manhattan's core process and it made me see the questions really differently. some of the answers are just PLAIN wrong when u purely consider the core of the argument. its just noise. i think thats really how i 'improved' so much?

Well yeah, I mean, that truly is how it works in multiple choice tests. haha

I too like the core approach. It helps me to filter out the extraneous information within the stimulus. Anyway,

You never answered the question as to how long it has been since you've seen the questions. The answer to that will help in finding out if your gains are true or if they are due to your remembering of the answer choice.

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby longlivetheking » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:22 pm

i would say about 3 weeks to 4weeks. you know how u prephrase an answer after seeing the gap. i do see the gap but i think this is probably due to me remembering the gap from when i did it before.

this sounds super convincing or once again delusional, but i sincerely understand how to find the gap and gap = answer on most questions...

hope i'm still sane.

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby longlivetheking » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:24 pm

for what its worth and this may sound tunnel visioning lol. but i'm confident of finding a gap if u give me a different question i've never seen before.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby dowu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:26 pm

longlivetheking wrote:i would say about 3 weeks to 4weeks. you know how u prephrase an answer after seeing the gap. i do see the gap but i think this is probably due to me remembering the gap from when i did it before.

this sounds super convincing or once again delusional, but i sincerely understand how to find the gap and gap = answer on most questions...

hope i'm still sane.

It sounds like you're still sane. Just keep plugging away, man. There is nothing wrong with re-using old tests. If possible, take a test that you haven't seen in a while; more than a month. If not, try to add some distance between the last time you saw the test and the next time you take it. Good luck my friend.

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby Teflon_Don » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:29 pm

longlivetheking wrote:So i've been destroying LR's with an average of -0, but i've done the test papers already. did i really improve, or am i just familiar with the questions

i don't deny that some of the questions i remember, but for 90% of the questions i can accurately and confidently say why the answer choices are wrong, and for the 10% that i'm not super sure i'm 100% sure of an answer which turned out to be correct.

not sure if able to boost confidence or should not read too much into it.


I thought the same thing with my second prep go around. Turns out my scores were a reflection of my actual LSAT score. As long as your going through the process in your head and not immediately remembering "oh yeah it's B or C" without looking at the answers after reading the stimulus, you're fine. Remembering topics doesn't matter, since many are repeated anyways.

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby longlivetheking » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:35 pm

couldn't express gratitude enough. almost going insane over -0 while worrying my ass off whether this is all just the matrix.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Mixture of both. Nothing you can really do except try to concentrate on the question at hand and don't try to think "what did I say last time?"

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby longlivetheking » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:54 am

would just like to update future users if having same question as me..

i did a totally new preptest and i got -0 and -1. so it looks like even if u've seen the test and are redoing it, as long as ur methods and concepts are clear, don't doubt yourself too much. you are definitely improving.

all the best to all of us

User avatar
Zoomie
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Not sure if really improved..........Or just more familiar

Postby Zoomie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:53 pm

I downloaded Manhattan LR last night and this has made a complete difference in how I see LR questions! I can almost immediately identify three wrong answers for the practice questions I've been doing.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: #gobroncos, BobBoblaw, dj9i27, nimbus cloud, SunDevil14, VMars, Yahoo [Bot] and 30 guests