Manhattan LSAT Reading Comp

JoeC12

Manhattan LSAT Reading Comp

Postby JoeC12 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Simply put.... is it worth it? What are everyones opinion on it?

objection_your_honor

Re: Manhattan LSAT Reading Comp

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:47 pm

I found it to be immensely helpful. Ultimately it enabled me to stop bombing the section.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:38 pm

It's okay... RC is still my worst section, but I haven't heard of any recommendations for better RC prep. I know people definitely prefer Manhattan to the PS RC bible, but I haven't read the latter yet so I can't personally compare the two. I'd say it's worth buying; it may not instantly fix your RC scores, but it does give a nice conceptual overview of what you should be looking for / how you should be understanding passages.

JoeC12

Postby JoeC12 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks for the response guys. I am going to purchase it on Tuesday and crame it before the February LSAT. Hopefully I see an improvement.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:01 pm

JoeC12 wrote:Thanks for the response guys. I am going to purchase it on Tuesday and crame it before the February LSAT. Hopefully I see an improvement.

it only takes a day to get through, no need to cram.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:12 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:It's okay... RC is still my worst section, but I haven't heard of any recommendations for better RC prep. I know people definitely prefer Manhattan to the PS RC bible, but I haven't read the latter yet so I can't personally compare the two. I'd say it's worth buying; it may not instantly fix your RC scores, but it does give a nice conceptual overview of what you should be looking for / how you should be understanding passages.

From what I recall, RC Bible basically explained the types of passages, tells you about question types and how they're very similar to LR question types, and gives you lots of practice passages.
I didn't find it all that helpful, but it was my best section to start with and I read it after the LR Bible, which was what really cleared up my confusion about how to approach specific question types.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:26 pm

It's quite short and worth it.

I've gone from -7 or so to an average of -4 or -5. Which I'm not happy with, but makes a considerable difference since my other sections are getting close to -0. It definitely helps.

vtoodler

Postby vtoodler » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:24 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote: I know people definitely prefer Manhattan to the PS RC bible, but I haven't read the latter yet so I can't personally compare the two.

I agree.

I've heard many TLSers complaining that Powerscore's RC bible pales in comparison to the other bibles.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:45 pm

vtoodler wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote: I know people definitely prefer Manhattan to the PS RC bible, but I haven't read the latter yet so I can't personally compare the two.

I agree.

I've heard many TLSers complaining that Powerscore's RC bible pales in comparison to the other bibles.

TLS complains way too much about Powerscore's RC bible. It is worth reading in my opinion. There are certain aspects of it that are important. I think TLS complains about it a lot, because its labeling methods cannot be realistically applied under time constraints. It does a good job of telling you what you should look out for in a passage though.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:22 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
vtoodler wrote:

I agree.

TLS complains way too much about Powerscore's RC bible. It is worth reading in my opinion. There are certain aspects of it that are important. I think TLS complains about it a lot, because its labeling methods cannot be realistically applied under time constraints. It does a good job of telling you what you should look out for in a passage though.

I've read both twice and I found both of them helpful. Manhattan concerns itself with annotating paragraphs and identifying incorrect answer choices, while Powerscore is passage theory and identifying correct answer choices. If you have the time and resources, I would definitely read both; there's plenty of info to be taken out of each pieces of literature.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:32 am

Just a tip, the Manhattan RC is on amazon as an e-book for like ten bucks if that's an issue. You can't write in it, but it's really short and I was fine reading it on my kindle.

illiniguy1551

Postby illiniguy1551 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 am

I think Manhattan LSAT + implementing MLSAT into a shitload of reading comp passages is the best way to go (I went from -12 to like -5). That's the only thing I've been doing to prep for Feb, need to refresh on LG and LR now :/

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:01 am

objection_your_honor wrote:I found it to be immensely helpful. Ultimately it enabled me to stop bombing the section.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”