Questions on what it takes to make 20+ leaps

Aequitas_

Questions on what it takes to make 20+ leaps

Postby Aequitas_ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

I'll preface this with my cold and where I am now to provide a little context. I cold diag'd at 143 and have barely cracked 160s after hours upon hours of studying. My test range is within 157-161. Logic games is by far my best section. Anywhere from -0 to -4, LR is sometimes ok, sometimes bleh. ( -5 to -8 ), and RC is really where my score takes a hit ( -8 to -10 ). Ordering of where I'm strongest to weakest also happens to be where I spend the most amount of time studying. I've made an 18 point jump and I'm proud of that hard work, but I want to continue to improve as I feel I have room for improvement. [ Hopefully ] I'd appreciate any advice from anyone, but also particularly those who have made these huge leaps and what it took for them to make the big jump in their score.

ercmilla

Re: Questions on what it takes to make 20+ leaps

Postby ercmilla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Aequitas_ wrote:I'll preface this with my cold and where I am now to provide a little context. I cold diag'd at 143 and have barely cracked 160s after hours upon hours of studying. My test range is within 157-161. Logic games is by far my best section. Anywhere from -0 to -4, LR is sometimes ok, sometimes bleh. ( -5 to -8 ), and RC is really where my score takes a hit ( -8 to -10 ). Ordering of where I'm strongest to weakest also happens to be where I spend the most amount of time studying. I've made an 18 point jump and I'm proud of that hard work, but I want to continue to improve as I feel I have room for improvement. [ Hopefully ] I'd appreciate any advice from anyone, but also particularly those who have made these huge leaps and what it took for them to make the big jump in their score.

Bro, 18 points isn't too shabby. If you're averaging -2 on LR, that is huge. It shows me that you can learn this test because I personally believe that if you can learn LR, then you can learn the rest of the test. LR is right in the middle of both LG and RC in terms of tactics, approach, and strategy.

Lucky for you LG is the easiest section to improve on. Have you picked up any books (Manhattan and Logic Games Bible are the best)? Drill and drill some more. Don't time yourself at first...go through them slow and make sure you learn the strategy and tactics associated with each game. Pick up the pace only after you're comfortable.

RC is trickier, but I think it's much like LR (with a lot of "extra" information). Try everything: read a passage slow and underline some of the key terms and points, then see how you do. Read it fast and see if going back to the passage with the extra time you saved works. Read every passage LSAC has published and find the common question types.

Bottom line is you need to become intimately familiar with the test, and it sounds like you haven't yet. You've just become intimately familiar with LR (and look at where that got you).

edit: Sorry, I got LG mixed up with LR. Let me append: LR requires an enormous time investment. You need to pick up some books like Manhattan LR or LR bible and drill them like there's no tomorrow. For example, I read about a specific question type and drilled the question type untimed until I was intimately familiar with the question type. You should get to a point where you can read a passage, and accurately guess what the question stem is going to be. You should be able to diagram the argument/fact set, and do that at first. You won't have to do that on your PT's, but learn how to approach the LR comprehensively first. When I first started, I would spend 3-5 minutes on the passage and outline everything before I even read the stem or answers. This way, I found common themes and approaches that allowed me to become faster.
Last edited by ercmilla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aequitas_

Postby Aequitas_ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Yeah 18 points isn't too shabby at all. Actually it's LG that I average about -2 on and -7 that I average for LR. I actually should have mentioned that I have read both PS LR and & LG bible twice and have LR / LG by question types and have drilled extensively with both. I find LR much more difficult than LG. Though I more than agree with you that I do need to become much more familiar with the rest of the exam like I am with LG. RC I haven't prepped much. 5 untimed tests or so, so I hope there is some room for improvement there. Sorry about the confusion.

ercmilla

Postby ercmilla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:16 pm

Aequitas_ wrote:Yeah 18 points isn't too shabby at all. Actually it's LG that I average about -2 on and -7 that I average for LR. I actually should have mentioned that I have read both PS LR and & LG bible twice and have LR / LG by question types and have drilled extensively with both. I find LR much more difficult than LG. Though I more than agree with you that I do need to become much more familiar with the rest of the exam like I am with LG. RC I haven't prepped much. 5 untimed tests or so, so I hope there is some room for improvement there. Sorry about the confusion.

I appended my original post. Check back.

Aequitas_

Postby Aequitas_ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Wow. That makes total sense! Thank you for the advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”