LSAT Round 2: Need to improve RC

jingosaur

LSAT Round 2: Need to improve RC

Postby jingosaur » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:31 pm

I just scored a 169 on my first LSAT, but needed a 171-175. I used the 2 newest PrepTest books, the Princeton Review book (which I didn't like) and a bunch of random reading on the internet. I was not aware at the time that most people do a lot more preparation that this.

Here's my breakdown on the test:
Reading Comprehension: 6 wrong (normally get 4-8 wrong)
Arguments: 2 wrong on one and 3 wrong on the other (normally get 0-3 wrong on each one)
Logic Games: 2 wrong (on my previous 10 PrepTests, I only got 2 wrong TOTAL and then I completely brainfarted on the real test.)

What books should I buy to prep for the June LSAT? Here's what I have in mind:
1. Powerscore Reading Comp Bible
2. Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible
3. The Next 10 Preptests
4. Maybe 2 or 3 of the newest individual preptests.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

TheThriller

Re: LSAT Round 2: Need to improve RC

Postby TheThriller » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 pm

I used both PS and Manhattan (and Velocity) and can say that Manhattan helped the most in my RC prep. I see you also opting for the PS LR bible. While this is alright, I will say that the Manhattan guide helped me more in my LR. Their methods are different so the inverse might be better for you.

Honestly, I would go with Manhattan and get as many PTs as possible. Those LR points wont be made up with instruction books (unless you are struggling with a specific question type). A stronger familiarity with the test is what you need. There comes a point where you can just tell which answer seem right and which seem wrong. Get to this point.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Quit watching TV, take on some of the "great books", do a few reading comp sections everyday and your score should improve.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 pm

Thanks for the advice! I'm ordering the PowerScore Arguments book and the Manhattan Reading Comp as almost everyone says it's better than Powerscore.

I thought my level of prep for December (8 hours a week for 3 months with 21 Preptests) was a lot, but after reading everything on this site, it seems like I studied a lot less than most people.

I'm also taking the GMAT soon, which has Reading Comp and Arguments too, so I'm hoping my GMAT prep will help me too.

The other strange thing was that in preparing, I was at a point where I would get between 1 and 4 wrong on Reading Comp (and got a couple of 177s on PrepTests), and then all of a sudden, I was getting 6-8 wrong every time. Hopefully I can get RC back to 2 to 3 wrong on average and get 2 or 3 total wrong on Arguments and pull down and put up a 175-178 in June.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”