Preparing for the LSAT in Beijing, China

yetanotherSS

Preparing for the LSAT in Beijing, China

Postby yetanotherSS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:36 am

Not sure exactly where to post this, and whether anyone will have an answer.

I've been lurking on this forum for the past 2-3 months, after taking an LSAT cold diagnosis in November, getting 163 and realizing that I may actually have a chance at getting into a really good lawschool.
I've decided to take the LSAT in June, and I'm starting my preparations to study with the Pithypike guide, which everyone seems to be speaking so highly of, but while I will be taking the test in the USA I am still in Beijing for the next 2 months.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has taken or studied for the LSAT in Beijing (or even in China), if they were able to get study books in China, and where. Given the cost, length and general inaccuracy of international shipping here, my only other option would be to buy online versions of every material and print them, which would be really inefficient :?
Thanks a lot.

crazyrobin

Re: Preparing for the LSAT in Beijing, China

Postby crazyrobin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:06 am

Luke81

Postby Luke81 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:32 pm

The other option is to find materials on taobao – most are authentic, but there are also quite a few shops that sell photocopies of books, so be careful. I'm using the kindle edition of the MLSAT books and pdf versions of past tests. I think it's just too slow/cumbersome/expensive to buy print materials here and then take them with me when I'm travelling or going back to the States.

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has sat the exam in Beijing before – how was the proctoring? From stories I've heard from friends that sat the GRE, I'm a bit worried that it's going to be a noisy test room with lots of cheating.

yetanotherSS

Postby yetanotherSS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:06 am

Thanks for the replies guys.
Out of curiosity, how is it working for you studying all the material on a screen ? I'm also concerned about bringing print material back, because I don't have that much space either. I was thinking about mixing print and online books.

I'm glad I'm not taking the test itself in Beijing. From what I've read online about test taking here, it's the same stories as you've heard with the GRE: not very well controlled, quite a few people cheating. For what it's worth, I took an HSK test in Beijing and a number of people were cheating on that as well.

Luke81

Postby Luke81 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 am

I do 90% of my reading from my kindle, so that doesn't bother me. I'm taking notes anyway, so it doesn't matter too much (although MLSAT kindle editions have some formatting problems in their LG solutions).

I think that the questions are more confusing when read from the screen, so I have printed the Cambridge question type packs. Better to practice those as they will be on the LSAT, I reckon.

In a PM, crazyrobin voiced the opinion that since the test is at the BeiDa law school the facility and proctoring should be quite good…hope crazyrobin is right on this score.

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 am

are there test preps companies or private tutoring in china?

Chaucer1343

Postby Chaucer1343 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:33 am

Last edited by Chaucer1343 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chaucer1343

Postby Chaucer1343 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:54 am

Last edited by Chaucer1343 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yetanotherSS

Postby yetanotherSS » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:33 am

Unfortunately, as I am NOT a university student, the print shop next to where I live charges a much less reasonable 1 kuai per page. :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I went to the giant bookstore near the South gate of BeiDa today, and while they have every kind of books for the GMAT, GRE, SAT, and even PSAT, they have only 2 measly princeton review books for the LSAT. I think I'll end up using amazon.

EEguy5

Postby EEguy5 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 am

I have been studying for the LSAT in Japan and will be taking it here. I had similar concerns when I started. I have found that Amazon.jp (japans version) works extremely well and I normally get anything I order within a day or two. So I would assume China's at least works pretty good too. I even bought my printer on amazon because they are way too overpriced in the stores here.

That being said, I also use electronic versions. I have the Manhattan guides on my kindle (bonus that they are only $10 for kindle versus $30+ print). On pdf I have all the PTs, LR by type, and LG by type bundles. I printed all the bundles and went threw those as I did the guides. Now I am doing full PTs so I print those as I do them. Unfortuantely, even owning a printer, in ink alone it does get expensive. So far I think I have bought 3 cartridges at the equivalent of $17 each. And I will probably buy 2 or 3 more in the next month I would guess.

It is definitely possible to study the guides on-screen and drill on paper by printing the test questions. If you can though, I would buy the LG guide in print if you have the opportunity. I brought the Powerscore LGB and LRB with me and for LG it was definitely easier to have that on paper than to only have an electronic version.

hallbd16

Postby hallbd16 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:54 am

So I am living in Zhengzhou in Henan province. Studying here is very doable. Use this forum as your tutor as well as this one: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/

Go to amazon.cn using google chrome, that web browser will translate everything to English for you.

Manhattan Books
http://www.amazon.cn/Manhattan-LSAT-Set ... 551&sr=8-1

Power Score Bible LG
http://www.amazon.cn/LSAT-Logic-Games-B ... =8-2-spell

I didn't use Taobao, but I assume you could do the same thing. Amazon china got them to me within a few days, they shipped from Beijing. Your could be at your doorbox overnight. If you do not know your address, get someone from your work to help you check out, fill in the address, ect.

Also, I took the test in Shanghai, it was perfectly proctored. Smooth, no issues, extra storage room for all your stuff when you arrive, big tables to test on, alert but silent and unobtrusive proctors. Just make sure wherever you test you find the actual location the day before. I am glad I did this, it took me 2 hours to find the testing center, but that is why I sought it out the day before, to avoid that on test day.

yetanotherSS

Postby yetanotherSS » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:31 am

Great. This forum delivers, as always. I swear, it should be mandatory for undergrad advisors to mention it to prospective students for law school.

Luke81

Postby Luke81 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:13 am

Like hallbd16, I'm also doing the Kindle MLSAT + Cambridge pdf method – it's the most cost-effective way to go!

For low-cost printing go to any university campus or, if your Chinese is good enough, get on Taobao. There are quite a few printing services on Taobao–you send them the pdf via QQ, they print it and deliver to your door.

Jdn

Postby Jdn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 am

I printed off excessive materials at the BLCU print shop at maybe 4 yi jao a page... They didn't ever ask if I was a student (which I was not).. Also ordered the newest PrepTest book off Amazon.cn and it came the next day and was perfect... I ended up moving down south though and had to buy a printer and do the cambridge job printing everything off, it's quite a pain in the ass. I wrote the test in Guangzhou in December and it was really smooth, although it didn't make a difference considering I bombed the shit out of LG's. Re-taking February in Hong Kong. Yay

Chaucer1343

Postby Chaucer1343 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 am

Chaucer1343

Postby Chaucer1343 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:27 am

Last edited by Chaucer1343 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yetanotherSS

Postby yetanotherSS » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:12 pm

:shock:
Thanks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”