Tips on Going from a 168 to a 170+ in One Month?

chickpea

Tips on Going from a 168 to a 170+ in One Month?

Postby chickpea » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi All! I'll be re-taking the LSAT in February since I'm applying to law schools this cycle and feel that I can improve on my December score of 168. I scored a 166 on the October test.

I think I really need to focus on understanding question types, particularly in the LR sections, since I kind of ignored these subtleties in my previous prep time. I'm planning on re-reading the Manhattan LR bible and drilling a ton of LR and LG questions from the Cambridge bundles that group questions by type. I'll spend the past two weeks or week and half taking practice tests every couple of days, going over my mistakes thoroughly, and continuing to drill.

I would love suggestions/nuggets of wisdom from previous re-takers and high-scorers. Thanks!

epiphinous7

Re: Tips on Going from a 168 to a 170+ in One Month?

Postby epiphinous7 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 am

Some people dont do this but I found doing 6 section tests in the last week before the big Day helps. Then on test day when you do only 5 sections youre not tired toward the end and lose concentration.
Make sure you figure exactly why when you get a question is wrong it's wrong and which is correct and why it's correct.
You have the PC LG Bible? You should be missing none on LG. It's the easiest section. It's all in the diagramming. Work out specified questions alongside the question. Never touch your diagram except to place rules and what not. However I always fill out my diagram for the very last ? but that can screw you. Do enough and youll find your own method. Always do timed once you can do a perfect LG section without error. 
LR you do untimed until you can get a perfect. Then do them timed ever afterwards. I used the PC LR Bible but I did hear the Manhattan is best.
When you read an LR you should be able to knock off three answer without even thinking hard. It usually leaves two in which one is slightly more correct. When you can do that. It's just learning how to recognize that subtlety and your LR will really improve. I dont know if this is true for anyone else but I always find that the questions generally are easy the 1-9 then there are a couple of toughs 10-20 and a couple 21-end. That averages to about 2-4 hard questions per LR section that really deserve your attention. It's in these 2-4 youll really need to distinguish those subtleties.
RC is hard to teach. I think its just practice but Idk.

vman21

Postby vman21 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:20 am

<('.'<)
Last edited by vman21 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:33 am

Thanks so much to both of you for the great advice.Vman21, I think the exercise/eat/sleep approach (i.e. not burning yourself out) is so important. Your subtle advice about wrong answers in the LR section is also great. Epiphinous7, you're right that I should be scoring -0 on Logic Games. I've gone through the PS Bible but somehow still went -3 on the December test. I have a bunch more blank LGs now so I'll keep drilling until I'm -0. Thank you both!

Kind of excited to dive back into studying. I'm so determined to destroy this test in February!! Hopefully third time's a charm :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”